Cataract Creek Area snow conditions and trail condition thread for 2022/23

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going down into the Elk valley from Cataract was a regular thing when l used to ride there three decades ago. A couple years ago l went back, and over the Fording pass where the T was to head in that direction there wasn't a single track. Maybe the trail washed out in the 2013 flood?

There is some alpine riding in the pass but the wind keeps it pretty boney. Once every couple years guys will post some killer pictures from there. The next day the wind hammers it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can, I don't know too many who have done it though. I've heard of a few buddies in Elkford picking their way over to try and see how far they can get to Fording. With the right riding skills and navigation I'm sure it's possible but not commonly done for sure.
Did it in the late 80’s. Rode over to Elkford, had a beer and burger in the hotel, topped up fuel and oil and headed back to Cataract. It was as a long day.

tucker_98

Reaction score
Did it in the late 80’s. Rode over to Elkford, had a beer and burger in the hotel, topped up fuel and oil and headed back to Cataract. It was as a long day.
Sounds like a wicked ride. Bet on the modern machines it would be a hell of a day.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard it really got washed out in the flood . I would wait for more snow to go to the alpine. Lots of guys have had to sidehill all the way home if you know what I mean.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toughest part was sidehilling the heavy Formula pluses across the slide area by the burning coal mine lol.
Kenny, werent you dangling off the side sled with one leg dangling in the air..................

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Handlebars were about 6" above seat level. Standing up didn't happen a lot back then.
We did lots of standing back in the day .......Pro Tip was sheet medal screws along the running boards and the old DOUBLE D Handle Bar and riser. I bet you sold a ton of that ch!t back in the day Eh Kenny..........Baker would weld the bars up and you would sell one with ever sled you sold............

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we have good snow years it's great riding 45 mins away . We ventured towards Elkford maybe 2018 or 19 but it's pretty filled in with new growth after the 13 flood . Made it probably half way to Elkford before we turned around .

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we have good snow years it's great riding 45 mins away . We ventured towards Elkford maybe 2018 or 19 but it's pretty filled in with new growth after the 13 flood . Made it probably half way to Elkford before we turned around .
Once you dropped down into the Elk valley you should have been golden. There's a powerline with service road.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the plane crash fuselage, the boy would love that!
Look me up if you want to go there’s good riding in that area for everyone. Can be tough to find if you don’t know where to go. Best access is from the York staging area at Coleman.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the plane crash fuselage, the boy would love that!

Absolutely do-able in winter, the other guys have set you good on directions. If you want to see more than just the fuselage, plan a late summer trip via ATV to the same spot - there’s shrapnel all over the place that you don’t see until the snow is gone.

Top Bottom