Carbs, love em or hate em?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Folks I need some help.
I am in the market for a mountain sled and I have narrowed the search to two used sleds. A 2010 summit X 163 and a 2010 M8 Sno Pro 162. Both sleds are low miles, really nice shape and roughly the same price.
I will be doing some climbing and boon docking in places like Crowsnest Pass and Cooke City.
I have been out of sledding for many years and have always been a flat lander.
I don't have either dealer in my city. My buddies all ride Turbo M's, Pro Climbs, Pros and a couple Summits.
So my biggest question is what are these Summit's like to live with considering they have carbs. Just the thought makes my fingertips feel like frostbite and stink like gas....
Do these sleds bog or stumble when they are laid over, flood out when upside down, need constant jetting changes, or hard to start until you figure out how much choke to give?
i don't think my first sled will run out of talent before I do but what are the wins/losses of each chassis?
PS, I don't have the budget for a Pro, PC or an Etek.

Thanks
Brad

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Folks I need some help.
I am in the market for a mountain sled and I have narrowed the search to two used sleds. A 2010 summit X 163 and a 2010 M8 Sno Pro 162. Both sleds are low miles, really nice shape and roughly the same price.
I will be doing some climbing and boon docking in places like Crowsnest Pass and Cooke City.
I don't have either dealer in my city. My buddies all ride Turbo M's, Pro Climbs, Pros and a couple Summits.
So my biggest question is what are these Summit's like to live with considering they have carbs. Just the thought makes my fingertips feel like frostbite and stink like gas....
Do these sleds bog or stumble when they are laid over, flood out when upside down, need constant jetting changes, or hard to start until you figure out how much choke to give?
i don't think my first sled will run out of talent before I do but what are the wins/losses of each chassis?

Thanks
Brad

The XP carbs are set up pretty good from the factory,,no jetting required,,no bogging and easy to start

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy flipped his on its lid for awhile. It did flood out but did start after a few hundred pulls.
lol...a slight exaggeration. 5 to 10 pulls tops if it has been sitting upside down. hold the throttle open and yank away.

you won't have to get fuel on your hands, there should be no reason you ever have to play with the carbs while you're out riding it. as for the chassis, if you haven't been on a sled for a long time the M-series will be easier to ride. the 'doo will take you places you probably shouldn't go.....

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...a slight exaggeration. 5 to 10 pulls tops if it has been sitting upside down. hold the throttle open and yank away.

you won't have to get fuel on your hands, there should be no reason you ever have to play with the carbs while you're out riding it. as for the chassis, if you haven't been on a sled for a long time the M-series will be easier to ride. the 'doo will take you places you probably shouldn't go.....

Plus if you get the Doo Teeroy is handing out free cases of DOOAIDE. LOL

It took us about 5 mins to flip the sled over as per the spot he flipped it, but yes it took awhile to get it going I would say this was an extreme condition and not to let it bother you his sled did seem to work well for a vertical steering sled.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I have the carbed 800 XP, and it's no problem at all. Teeroy got it 100% with when you have it on its side for a few minutes. I ride with a guy on a 2010 M-8 which runs nice and sidehills nice but on the trail it's rough and it doesn't run clean at low rpms plus his oil pump was wayyy too rich. My carbed 800 runs perfect in the mountains, no hesitation or stumble, easy starting...it's just a bit more refined I think. I just unhook the stabilizer bar and away I go. Suzuki does make nice motors though. I'm sure either way you'll go someone will rip on you for buying "that" sled! Lol

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Folks I need some help.

Thanks
Brad

Carb set up works very well. If set spot on will respond better than efi set up. Tee is right in not a big deal for flooding. As far as ride goes between the 2 its complete preference. Some consider the m chassis amazing.......I can't ride it personally......long story shortish which ever feels best to you and price allows buy...both good

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
End Of Watch Is Working Its Way On To Blu-ray In January

Watch Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2 Online If you missed End of Watch in theaters, you’ll be able to catch the film just after the holidays.

Universal Studios Home Entertainment is bringing the film to Blu-ray, DVD, and digital download on January 22.

Watch Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn 2 Online End of Watch follows Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña as two LAPD officers working in one of the most dangerous areas of Los Angeles.

Unlike your average police drama or procedural, the flick really jumps in and delves into the lives of police officers working on the streets.

Cinema Blend’s review calls it a film that “gambles constantly,” and I don’t think there’s a better way to describe some of the filming tactics, including shaky camera work.

It isn’t dazzling filmmaking, but it isn't meant to be. For a smaller budget film, End of Watch will come with a slew of extras.

Watch Wreck it Ralph Online The studios are still pushing Ultraviolet, so if you are into putting your movie content into a cloud, you’ll have that option with the set.

Watch Skyfall Online As far as bonus features go, both DVD and Blu-ray copies will come with the same extras. Most of these seem to be your basic featurettes, but deleted scenes and commentary will be available, as well.

Watch The Man With The Iron Fists Online Director David Ayer seems passionate about this project, and I have no doubt this contributed to the lengthy list of extras available with the set.

Yann Martel’s Life of Pi follows the lengthy journey of a young man and a Bengal tiger as they traipse across the ocean in a lifeboat. Before director Ang Lee took up the mantle, many considered the book to be beautiful, but virtually unfilmable. If there is a will, there is a way, and Lee discerned very adeptly how Life of Pi needed to be told onscreen.

Best for: Anyone old enough not to be completely traumatized by the sight of the tiger, and landlocked enough not to spend the rest of the holiday afraid of the ocean.
Kind of like that time you all saw… Hugo in 2011, because of the impressive 3D and its power to whisk you away to a new world.
You are basically the most useless person ever, just give up on life if you got nothing better to do the flood threads with bs movie sh!t

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the carbs , Ive had 4 Doo's run the heck out of them and never have had a carb issue. The couple of pointers on flooded starting are bang on. I'm currently riding the 2010 xp 163 and its a capable sled with some tuning (clutches, maybe lower gearing). I think it be a wicked sled with the cat (suzuki) motor though they are awesome, and IMO a better built engine than the doo's 800 p-tech. Im prob gonna get flamed but call em as I see em.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt have much of an issue with either, doo carbs are set up well from factory as already mentioned, i would pick the M8 easier to ride and motors run forever in them. you can get a shock revalve to help with the ride. lots of options either way you go. good luck with your choice

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are really worried about starting it after it floods out you could always put an E start on the XP. I have never had any issues starting mine after being rolled or upside down.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take the m8 over the summit. Prefer the summit chassis but efi and a much longer lasting motor are the decision makers for me.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the M chassis and i came from riding doo. The M is way easier to ride but it is rough on the trails. The burant shock revalve will change all of that.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take the m8 over the summit. Prefer the summit chassis but efi and a much longer lasting motor are the decision makers for me.

X2

Doo chassis is nice but depending on miles I would take the M8 just based on motor history. Doo motors should have the crank run out checked often, anytime after 2500-3000 kms.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt mess with carbs. had an XP and it was a nightmare with the carbs. why buy something out dated if you dont need too?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8's have there fueling problems as well. I have seen them where they start for 1 to 2 seconds and die, then you 100 pulls into it. Mayby vapour lock, fuel pump, system run dry, i have no freakin idea. The remindy in that situation was pouring gas down the plug holes to get it running. Seen this happen a dozen times to M8's. Pick you poisen at the end of the day.:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8's have there fueling problems as well. I have seen them where they start for 1 to 2 seconds and die, then you 100 pulls into it. Mayby vapour lock, fuel pump, system run dry, i have no freakin idea. The remindy in that situation was pouring gas down the plug holes to get it running. Seen this happen a dozen times to M8's. Pick you poisen at the end of the day.:beer:

That happens on our brand new m8 and old m7. If you didn't give it a man pull the first time it was basically flooded

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's sad the xp carbs are far more reliable and run/perform better than most efi systems. Not sure where you get your info

BAHAHAHAHA - some of the stuff you say! compared to? an old RXL? Maybe in the 1980's this held true, not now. I think we just had an LHF moment there. "Carbs are better than most EFI" - Is Doo going back to carbs on their 2013s? LOL Engine management systems can monitor performance, load, TPS etc better and adjust the EFI 100 times a second. For every story I hear about an EFI system acting up, I have heard at least 2 about carbs freezing up or plugging, or needing constant adjustment, etc etc. Why don't we talk about those examples? Pretty easy to tune a sled with a box, press the buttons while its running, don't even need to shut it off. Sorry, but todays EFI systems murder carbs any day of the week.

Top Bottom