Can I splice a track?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gofast89 on here just put a 1” production track on his elan this fall. Was even pretty reasonably priced. I can’t remember the brand of it. We’re both running 335s in our elans and that 1” works well in it

rotorav8

Reaction score
Gofast89 on here just put a 1” production track on his elan this fall. Was even pretty reasonably priced. I can’t remember the brand of it. We’re both running 335s in our elans and that 1” works well in it
What are 335s?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one has been running for 15-20 years and holds up at Elan top speed without issue. Granted, Elan top speed isn’t much. Think about all the torque applied to those conveyor belts. Some of the longer conveyor belts have 2000-4000 pounds on them going up at a time.
I would be worried about the 40-80 mph track speeds not the torque

rotorav8

Reaction score
Single cylinder 335cc out of olympics. Make around 20 horse over the 250 singles 11
Awesome, thanks 1100! Are the drive belts the same width on these or do they require clutch changes? I’m wondering in case I find an engine without the clutch.
I would be worried about the 40-80 mph track speeds not the torque
IMO Track speed just translates to torque and stress on parts when you look at it from an engineering standpoint. I probably wouldn’t put it on an 800 mountain sled or anything but it has with stood the test of time on Elan with heavy use for 20 years or so. My Elan with a regular track probably did maybe 20-30 max on a smooth road. I’m pretty sure bogie wheels’ biggest enemy is speed. Everyone wants to go fast and that’s why snowmobiles swapped to slides, but slides sacrifice traction. Have you heard of Ripsaw? Their biggest engineering feat was overcoming how to get speed out of bogey wheels and not lose control of the track they said in an interview. I’m not really looking for if it will work because I have proof it does but I am looking for people with experience doing it to get recommendations on their favorite belt/track splice to use if anyone can help.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same belts. If your a mikuni man over the tiltsons you have to put a pulse port into crankcase for fuel pump. Also need to clearance upper structure a hair for easy spark plug removal. Pretty much a bolt in for the mod world.

rotorav8

Reaction score
Same belts. If your a mikuni man over the tiltsons you have to put a pulse port into crankcase for fuel pump. Also need to clearance upper structure a hair for easy spark plug removal. Pretty much a bolt in for the mod world.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I’m more of a Tillotson guy. I think they are amazing carbs if you take the time to learn about them. Probably why the racers use them and why paramotors and aircraft still use them too.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure dynamo joe made a shorty 3” by doing this back in the day. Not sure how it turned out for him
Yep. Had an 872 in it for 2 seasons. hahaha
Oh and I had a down engine for a month when sled was brand new. Doo give me an $800 in store credit. So I put a T3 RASII x 36" front end on it.
The track was from Sledhead 24/7 Dave over from snowest. He had a 174 x 3 track that got burned so I got it offa him free, just had to pay for shipping.
I give it to Rematech and then spliced it with Flexco Solid Plate Belt Fasteners #1E in regular steel.
But for the last season me owning it, I got a 154 x 2.5 for it.
This video might work...

joes 3 inch paddle track splice job.jpg

joes sled with 3 inch paddle track.jpg

rotorav8

Reaction score
So, Dynamo Joe, how did your track splice hold up to that kind of use and abuse? That’s the big question. You did put a smaller lug on so did it fail eventually?

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a small tear on the side of my track that didn’t seem to get worse outta the low kms this year but I might try and put one of thosefasteners on it just to be safe. Wonder if it would affect the balance at all and if a guy should put one on opposite side just to balance out?

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, Dynamo Joe, how did your track splice hold up to that kind of use and abuse? That’s the big question. You did put a smaller lug on so did it fail eventually?
Garnet (owner of Rematech in Thunder Bay) said to me "Joe I guarantee that splice is going to be stronger than the track itself." Garnet further said...we put these clips on conveyor belts the same thickness in the grain elevators and there can be a stretch of belt 400 feet long with several tons of grain on it using these very clips. So the load you're putting on this track is-fack-all. HAHAHA.. Oh that was funny.
Anyway, it lasted about 800kms with me using it.
Too short, no flotation. Can't climb anything steep because you'll either flip over or dig the tunnel into the basement and now shoveling.

The kid who bought it offa me with the other track and gear, etc, flipped the sled on a hill. Did not wear his tether. Sled upside down, full throttle, jammed in the snow. Engine went to stutter, "bah bah bah bah"...I think that's what 8600 sounds like. Track, titz up, ballooned and BOOOOM [12 gage] blew the track off the sled and the drive shaft took out the chaincase.

Hello Larry.
The pictures you sent were of a prototype experiment that we tried for Joe. I am glad to hear that it worked out for him. It is not a standard practice for snowmobiles, but is a common joint for conveyor belt splicing. I suggest you go to a local belt service company and look at their Flexco solid plate belt fasteners. They come in a variety of sizes determined by length, and thickness of belt, etc. You will probably need 190E, 140E , 1-1/2E, or 1E, also in stainless. They are not pressed in, they are bolt in, and need special tools that can be purchased also. I hope this helps, good luck, thx for calling and let me know if it works out for you!
Regards, Garnet Farough / Rematech Industries

Here is the second 121 x 3.0 track from a guy in BC.
MATT 06 07 REV 3 INCH TRACK.jpg

Top Bottom