Can BAofeng work on marine VHF?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not really familiar with radios and frequencies etc but my Baofeng has a preprogrammed channel called VHF16. When i turn my boats marine radio to channel 16 they do not connect. I thought beofeng was FM?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
im not really familiar with radios and frequencies etc but my Baofeng has a preprogrammed channel called VHF16. When i turn my boats marine radio to channel 16 they do not connect. I thought beofeng was FM?
VHF Channel 16 is the international distress frequency; it broadcasts on a frequency of 156.8 MHz and is received worldwide by any VHF radio.
Try to manual enter it on your Baofeng and then try it......

Depends whoever programmed your Baofeng. I find people have programmed them differnt than say, "Rays."

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought VHF16 was primarily used as a marine emergency channel.

I looked at the baofeng VHF frequencies programmed into my radios, and channel 16 is not the proper frequency for channel 16 on the marine band.

Looking a the VHF channel frequencies that are programmed into my radio, I think these are Ham channels, they are not marine channels.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know at Kootaney lake, marine 68 is used by most boaters. (156.425) Yes you can program to it. I did try it but for some reason I was hearing but my brother could not hear my Baofeng transmission with his boat radio. I checked my programming and all looks good. There is no tone squelch or digital squelch required. I will need to play with it some more. FWIW I have have heard that these small hand held radios work very poorly over open water without a good antenna and ground plane.

Take a look here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=7766

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I thought VHF16 was primarily used as a marine emergency channel.

I looked at the baofeng VHF frequencies programmed into my radios, and channel 16 is not the proper frequency for channel 16 on the marine band.

Looking a the VHF channel frequencies that are programmed into my radio, I think these are Ham channels, they are not marine channels.
2 meter ham is 144-148 mhz

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VHF 1 to 26 are just Ham frequency I program in. I put in marine channels in on request. They start with MR.

Top Bottom