CAF personnel....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where do the armed forces personnel stay that operate the Howitzers used for avalanche control? I found out they are stationed out of Shilo, MB but where do they live when they are on operations during the winter?

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With todays tech they should be able to do it with drones from home.
Rosebud lake and Lister divisions, our border security bases lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the CAF used loan the rifles to the avalanche group.
Now I believe there are remote stations used instead of the rifles. 3 valley gap has a new remote station that’s loaded with charges.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I thought the CAF used loan the rifles to the avalanche group.
Now I believe there are remote stations used instead of the rifles. 3 valley gap has a new remote station that’s loaded with charges.
Yes, at 3 Valley Gap there are but not at other locations. They still use the Howitzers. According to the videos, it is forces personnel that are working the canons. I know they don't come in from Shilo every time they have avalanche control. So where do they stay in Revy and/or Golden?? Google doesn't answer the question.

This all started with someone asking what are the concrete circles used for at the top of Rogers Pass.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You’ll see the troops shovelling out and plowing those circles every snowfall actually witnessed there truck stuck while plowing couple trips ago. Unfortunately I can’t tell you where they stay.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They took all the fun out of it now on the Salmo/Creston. Desk job now.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, at 3 Valley Gap there are but not at other locations. They still use the Howitzers. According to the videos, it is forces personnel that are working the canons. I know they don't come in from Shilo every time they have avalanche control. So where do they stay in Revy and/or Golden?? Google doesn't answer the question.

This all started with someone asking what are the concrete circles used for at the top of Rogers Pass.

This may help.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if they all do, but some stay in Revy. My friends son was station there to work on avy control a couple years ago. My friend would go there on the kids days off to go skiing. He was working the rogers pass stations.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Where do the armed forces personnel stay that operate the Howitzers used for avalanche control? I found out they are stationed out of Shilo, MB but where do they live when they are on operations during the winter?
They were mostly reserve force personel and some regular force members are used in winter.
This is an agreement between the government and DND.

This is still the Howitzers from stragellically GP (gun position/gun point) locations.

They used to stay at the housing located at the Rogers Pass but it has been 20 plus years since I have served in the military. I am sure things have changed.

The list was never short for this deployement.....Always firing the gun,,,,good food and extra pay...
Yahoo, what more could a military man/women ask for...

Discovery did have a documentery on the Rogers Pass and explained/showed all this but I cannot seem to find a link Doug.

Hope this answered your question.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had watched some of the YouTube videos and the videos provided answers to earlier questions. On the other hand they brought up the question about accommodation.

It is an interesting topic and great information. 32 trains and 3000 trucks per day go through there when conditions are good.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think The group stays at a parks Canada compound near the Roger’s pass discovery centre.
The article I read was wrote in 2013, so I dunno if the soldiers still stay at that compound.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Isn't that all closed down now? Postings above are saying they stay in Revy.
Never seen any DND vehicles in Revy.
Those plates are easy to spot.
Not to say there not here, but figured you would see them at Tims or somewhere in uniform.
Interesting though.
Great thread.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never seen any DND vehicles in Revy.
Those plates are easy to spot.
Not to say there not here, but figured you would see them at Tims or somewhere in uniform.
Interesting though.
Great thread.
Knowing how cheap the military is they probably are tenting it back behind one of those big snowbanks you usually see at the top of the Rogers Pass.

Top Bottom