Buying new sled, seller won't give out VIN to check

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask the seller who the dealer is that sold them the sled... call the dealer to see if the seller is legit...?

Unregistered newer sled is a concern...?

Technically under FOIP (freedom of information and privacy act) this information can't be given out.

I'd be extremely pissed if a dealer I purchased from gave out my info to some random person calling them on the phone.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there no dealer or mechanic in Trail that can do a pre-purchase inspection on it, ask the seller to bring it in.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Technically under FOIP (freedom of information and privacy act) this information can't be given out.

I'd be extremely pissed if a dealer I purchased from gave out my info to some random person calling them on the phone.

There should be nothing to worry about .... small town dealers usually have a small clientele. Asking the seller their name to talk to their dealer... shouldn’t be a problem.

Guys that won’t give their name...
won’t say where they purchased...
Now that sounds fishy...

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There should be nothing to worry about .... small town dealers usually have a small clientele. Asking the seller their name to talk to their dealer... shouldn’t be a problem.

Guys that won’t give their name...
won’t say where they purchased...
Now that sounds fishy...

If they don't like the deal, move on. The used market is hot right now, if the guy is legit the sleds probably sold by now. As a seller I wouldn't do most of the things suggested on this post for a sled sale, I'm definitely not taking it to a mechanic, a $10k sled isn't worth the effort. My used sleds are sold as-is with a copy of the registration and a copy of the lean release if it had one.

No business wants the reputation of giving out their customers information, word travels fast in a small town.

If the seller has papers as he claims, likely the NVIS, that's as legit as it gets, if all paperwork matches a quick VIN check should confirm any other uncertainties.

Last edited:

HAWKBC

Reaction score
Seller claims they are not original owner. not sure why everyone is scared to give the VIN.I can see most vehicle VINs through the windshield so what's this protecting? He never elaborated on what kind of paperwork he's got since he stopped responding to me because I asked for the VIN. I don't need a mechanic or some**** to do a preinspection I just don't want a lien on the sled?
I got a sled to ride so I'm not hurting to ride and I'll just wait for another one to come up.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being where the sled is located I would be concerned it is a US sled that has never imported. Another reason you need the VIN & maybe the reason it is not registered.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scam, scam, scam. Walk away. Let someone else get screwed over if the market is so hot.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being where the sled is located I would be concerned it is a US sled that has never imported. Another reason you need the VIN & maybe the reason it is not registered.
Or it just doesn't exist and your gonna get fawking rolled when you show up.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't One Eye Willy from that area? He would probably roll ya if given the chance.
I think this is the dude, he surfaced on the book of faces asking odd questions.

May not be stolen, just dumb.

300875bdd31fe1739a3ac91613932c09.jpg
38413d9de9a6a8bf69822ff3455951ec.jpg

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
Last edited:

imjustdave

Reaction score
vin is listed on 90% of cars adds out there boats have them on the hull in big letters. and you can walk up to any car to see the vin. it's just a number and you only hide it if your trying to hide the item.
some how using it to steal something isn't an issue.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
vin is listed on 90% of cars adds out there boats have them on the hull in big letters. and you can walk up to any car to see the vin. it's just a number and you only hide it if your trying to hide the item.
some how using it to steal something isn't an issue.
Agreed. Most ads in the paper, or online, or dealers on Kijiji or auctions all have the VINs on there, exactly for this purpose - to look for liens or stolen property!

Top Bottom