Buying new sled, seller won't give out VIN to check

HAWKBC

Reaction score
As the title says im looking to buy a sled thats 5 years old. Its a few hours driveaway so Id like to check out VIN to verify not stolen and run a lien check. Seller claims thats personal info and that the sleds not stolen lol. Being that the sleds 5 years old I asked if its registered and he said its not but has papers.

Sounds pretty strange to me. Certainly not wanting to drive a few hours to get a stolen sled. Pretty much the sleds a wash to me as it just sounds way to weird.

Anyone else run across sellers like this? Sled does look pretty sweet to so kind of disappointing.

HAWKBC

Reaction score
Anyone find it weird how it hasn't even been registered? I have bought old sleds obviously without registration but for a fairly new sled to have none seems weird to?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy it if he won’t give up the vin. It might not be stolen it’s probably he is just to dumb and thinks you can claim ownership if you have the vin.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a nightmare. There's still lots of sleds to buy just walk

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve made people send picture of driver’s license to get picture of vin. Maybe I’m wrong.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't give out my VIN numbers either. If you come and look at it go ahead, but I'm not going to give it out to someone I've never met over email or text message. My justification for this stems from the vehicle thefts of thieves having keys cut and programmed using a "buddy" at the dealership and a vehicle VIN. I know sleds aren't like this, but that's fine. I'll do a lot to help out a cash in hand buyer, but until you show up on my step to have a look you're just another scammer from Kijiji.

HAWKBC

Reaction score
I can see that if I'm in the same town being somewhat reasonable but I'm coming a few hours away to look at the sled I don't want to show up to a **** show.

Also how do i check for a lien without a vin?

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what I've done when looking at buying a sled from a distance is get someone else to check it out.... a dealership.... a mechanic.... if you really want to pursue it then that's the way to go. It'll cost you a bit to get someone else to check it out but if you really want the sled then it might be worth the few bucks. You can also get the vin that way.

HAWKBC

Reaction score
what I've done when looking at buying a sled from a distance is get someone else to check it out.... a dealership.... a mechanic.... if you really want to pursue it then that's the way to go. It'll cost you a bit to get someone else to check it out but if you really want the sled then it might be worth the few bucks. You can also get the vin that way.

Sled is in the middle of nowhere basically, town probably has a gas station and that's it

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask the seller who the dealer is that sold them the sled... call the dealer to see if the seller is legit...?

Unregistered newer sled is a concern...?

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had something similar happen to me about 5 years ago. Was looking for a mini hoe on Kijiji and this guy wouldn’t give me the SN. Finally convinced him and he sent me a picture of the SN plate. Looked like it was hand made so I talked to Kubota and sent them the picture to verify. Said it was a fake SN. They reported it, and the ad to RCMP and a couple week later I get a call from RCMP saying they investigated it and found other stolen equipment from the same guy.

Top Bottom