Buying Auto Parts on Amazon

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting 0w40 full synthetic diesel oil from shellbourne out of Ontario shipped to AB for a decent price but I had to get 4x imp.gallon jugs at a time - stopped getting shellbourne because I ran out of patience waiting for them to build the oil then ship it then how long it took to get it - I would rather pay more for oil and be able to get it 7 days a week IMO - I'm the type of guy that when I need it - I need it now

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
0/40 rotella is on sale but not 5/40 and it’s getting hard to find

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0/40 rotella is on sale but not 5/40 and it’s getting hard to find
That big peavey mart in sherwood Park or the one just off yellowhead will have the 5w40 Rotella probably not on sale tho

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was my thought too, but Rotella for $40 was the cheapest I've seen in at least a year anywhere, and I went back again to Amazon tonight and it is back up to $62.

I imagine shipping costs have a lot to do with it, jugs of oil are pretty heavy.

Convenience is worth something too, I spent a couple hours and $20 in fuel on Saturday to come home empty handed. Even if the cost is the same I'm still time and money ahead when it shows up on my doorstep.

Funny they can ship it. I got oil from royal distributing for my boat. Was a great price and could buy it in 10L jugs. Order it once then second time they couldn’t ship it do to the shipping company not allowing oil products on a plane.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny they can ship it. I got oil from royal distributing for my boat. Was a great price and could buy it in 10L jugs. Order it once then second time they couldn’t ship it do to the shipping company not allowing oil products on a plane.
They shipped it Canada post - was brutal waiting for the 2 stroke oil when I had a trip planned or when customers wanted the oil - they had no urgency shipping it out either sometimes it took a week and a half just to get it in the mail but the product was awesome - now I'm running the shell 2 stroke oil - and 0w40 Rotella in my f350 6.7 yr round because that motor is built for life in mexico

brendon444

Reaction score
Anyone ever use "Autoshack.ca" based out Ottawa it looks like and parts were cheaper than rock auto.

I bought some cheap front end parts for an old Camry with 350k. Not wanting to spend a fortune and understand the quality isn't OEM.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use "Autoshack.ca" based out Ottawa it looks like and parts were cheaper than rock auto.

I bought some cheap front end parts for an old Camry with 350k. Not wanting to spend a fortune and understand the quality isn't OEM.
I bought a set of power extendable mirrors for my old Dodge pickup from them a few years ago. I had an issue with one of them and they sent me a replacement before I sent them the defective mirror. I would definitely buy from them again.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just go to the local store don't really care about price if I need it I need it now. Not waiting for parts from amazon to keep my vac trucks running. I get pretty good discounts from buying from the same place so it all works out in the wash somewhere

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the whole buy from the cheapest parts places for years. In the end i just spent twice as much replacing everything sooner and of course the extra labour. I just go to the dealer now. You’ll be surprised how competitive there pricing is now and you’ll always get the part you need that fits right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will disagree with both comments above a bit, I don't buy cheap parts they must be brand name. At most of these places you have to be your own parts man and do your own double checking. If thats not your thing its not going to work for you... If you enjoy paying extra thats great, but when I can get a 30-50% discount for doing the work I'm in, it takes all types I guess.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the whole buy from the cheapest parts places for years. In the end i just spent twice as much replacing everything sooner and of course the extra labour. I just go to the dealer now. You’ll be surprised how competitive there pricing is now and you’ll always get the part you need that fits right the first time.

I find it funny when I call to price out parts at a dealer first thing they ask for is the vin. Tell the lady in Leduc dodge I don’t have the vin handy. She won’t even try to get you a price on parts. Call Canadian tire and some 14 year old kid can look me up parts that fit lol

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with this for some parts.
OEM most the time are better then jobber.
But a lot of OEM parts are other manufacturers
Picked up a set of Denso spark plugs from Partsking ( they were ready to pick up 45 mins after I order them ) which were the same as the OEM.For around 50% what the dealer wanted.
Yes if you buy the cheapest parts, then they are probably not going to last to long.
I will look at the better quality brand name parts.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO you can't just blindly buy everything from one place don't care where it is some things will be priced well while some items will make you go WTF why are they gouging on that? Not even different brands but the exact same part.

Dealers don't even have parts for everything. I prefer it for some parts but for power steering pressure line for ram 1500 for example it's no longer a part dodge carries at all.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO you can't just blindly buy everything from one place don't care where it is some things will be priced well while some items will make you go WTF why are they gouging on that? Not even different brands but the exact same part.

Dealers don't even have parts for everything. I prefer it for some parts but for power steering pressure line for ram 1500 for example it's no longer a part dodge carries at all.
I am 3 hrs to Edmonton and If you think I am drive 6 hrs to save $20 bucks your wrong. I support local have been for years

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats cool do what works for you.. they ship to my door in 2 days nothing wrong you with supporting local.
Also locally owned and operated. A copy paste from the site. I absolutely get the need for rush parts. Not trying to sell you on anything, the option is there for people who choose to take it.

How Parts-King works explained in 4 easy steps

1. You look up the parts you need by application, by VIN, by description or by part number.
  2. You order & pay for your parts.
  3. You pick-up your parts at 16536 - 117 Avenue NW which we will have ready for you 45 minutes after your order is placed. Please note that orders placed AFTER 4:30pm will be ready to be picked up at 8:45am the following business day.
  4. You count the “King’s Ransom” of money that you just saved over buying your parts ANYWHERE else!
That’s it. Nothing hidden, no surprises, no waiting for your parts to be shipped up from across the globe, no nasty shipping, brokerage or customs charge surprises. The price you see is the price you pay and you won’t believe how much money you can save!

That said, we are not for everybody. Parts-King caters to those people who know what they are driving and who know what parts they need. If this describes you, you can save a TON of money on all of the same brands, manufacturers and product lines that you are used to and familiar with!

We are 100% locally owned and operated and have been supplying literally MILLIONS of dollars in auto parts to dealerships, garages, installers as well as to each and every auto parts supplier that you have ever heard of in Alberta year over year for over 40 years now! Our warehouse is stocked to the gills with almost $10,000,000 in inventory and now you too can purchase directly from us and SAVE!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you get emissions parts for a 2021 duramax?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
negative, they don't stock a lot. they make margins on volume. Quick turn parts is what they focus on but supply chain issues add a new element

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to support local hitch dealers in RD but it’s tough!
Buddy is lending me his dually so I can pull my trailer this summer so I bought the fifth wheel kit.
The local deal sold a kit for $250 which was supposed to be a Reese kit but other than the Reese number on the box no were did it say Reese. It was a universal kit that required a ton of drilling in frame. The brackets were just bent angle brackets. It would work but cheap.

Buddy hauls his truck camper as well so I wanted to be able to pop rails in out somewhat easily! So a little more research we bought a No- drill kit. Brackets were waaay better, stronger and installed in less than a hour.
The rails were thicker and said Curt on them as did brackets. Same dealer wanted $515 for the set, other dealer in RD was $620….
Amazon was$390 all in shipped to my door. I asked dealer why such a difference. He said Amazon is buying those kits cheaper than or the same price as his supplier. IMO the no drill kit is superior and the money we saved vs paying a shop to drill a bunch of holes in the frame … it’s cheaper to go no drill.
Probably not the case in all trucks but a 2013 F350 it sure did.
9201a14af71ccb3301ffb6306cf83643.jpg

9201a14af71ccb3301ffb6306cf83643.jpg

2a2e3308eada46e9dfa460689d2dd9e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom