Buying Auto Parts on Amazon

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you buy auto parts on Amazon?

Went to the Ford dealer today to get filters for my 6.7 Powerstroke, $350 for an oil filter, both fuel filters and an air filter. Whatever, no thanks. Then go looking for Shell T6 5W-40, Crappy tire is the only place that has it on the shelf, $62 for 5 liters.

Get home and go on Amazon, $168 for the same Motorcraft filters, $40 for the Rotella oil. Total comes to $302 for 15 liters of oil and all the filters, $243 savings over buying the same stuff locally.

I like supporting local brick and mortar stores, but not for that kind of price difference. Anyone else doing the same?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto for parts. Best price and gets here faster than chit I order from Canada. Buy my filters locally from Cummins. I don't trust Motorcraft or Fram filters. I do buy oil from Canadian Tire though. Used to buy T6 cheaper from Walmart but I wouldn't be caught dead in that place any more.

Last edited:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you buy auto parts on Amazon?

Went to the Ford dealer today to get filters for my 6.7 Powerstroke, $350 for an oil filter, both fuel filters and an air filter. Whatever, no thanks. Then go looking for Shell T6 5W-40, Crappy tire is the only place that has it on the shelf, $62 for 5 liters.

Get home and go on Amazon, $168 for the same Motorcraft filters, $40 for the Rotella oil. Total comes to $302 for 15 liters of oil and all the filters, $243 savings over buying the same stuff locally.

I like supporting local brick and mortar stores, but not for that kind of price difference. Anyone else doing the same?

I use amazon, rockauto, rocky mountain atv, whatever works.

For Rotella, watch UFA for spring sales of T6. 18.9L pails were $132 before rebate.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy filters from Cummins and Strongco (they are awesome for support so i'm happy to pay a bit extra for parts) or john deere for ease and safety of knowing it's a good filter, oil I find canadian tire is cheapest if you catch it on sale they have those spend $200 get $50 off or whatever fairly often. Oil I wouldn't hesitate from amazon because if it's rotella you know it's the same if the price is that much better, filters i'd be a bit more concerned about even if they claim to be same brand. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks then realize the filters I got were trash and destroyed a $20k engine. But then again us Cummins owners got the advantage of having a great cheaper alternative compared to the dealer.

I've bought filters from L&D filtration they were good.

Last edited:

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I love the idea of only supporting local business but quite often the prices aren’t even close. With 3 active young girls and a soaring cost of living, who can afford to keep it local? I certainly can not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto or Amazon most of the time. Sometimes Amazon will blow Rock Auto out of the water when it comes to shipping cost, especially with heavier items like rotors.

You got that right. Sometimes heavy stuff costs so much in shipping that local supply becomes the best option.
Prime helps a ton with that, as long as you can deal with delivery times.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer parts king. Great service and good people the concept though is you need to know your parts. They don’t offer much support as far as I need one of these..
Partsavatar seems to have few more European parts.
Savings are substantial. Sometimes 50% over a walk up store

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought quite a few parts off Amazon no issues, most recent Ram cummins I had I got oil filter, fuel filters, for 1/3 the price.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto for sure. Canadiantire works great if you sign up for all their perks that are sent to your email address, like paying an extra $99 dollars for your credit card (only sent to your email none renewing yearly) Amazing deal. Paying your taxes and utilities with the card, bonus days and the extra card shocking how much canadiantire money that adds up to. They also have a bank.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rock auto is great but it needs to be a big order to cover the shipping cost. I was getting ready to do a big order from Revco.ca but my local shop was very comparable so be sure to shop around too.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen good deals on oil from Amazon. Never looked to close but the little I did look for has been crazy expensive

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen good deals on oil from Amazon. Never looked to close but the little I did look for has been crazy expensive

That was my thought too, but Rotella for $40 was the cheapest I've seen in at least a year anywhere, and I went back again to Amazon tonight and it is back up to $62.

I imagine shipping costs have a lot to do with it, jugs of oil are pretty heavy.

Convenience is worth something too, I spent a couple hours and $20 in fuel on Saturday to come home empty handed. Even if the cost is the same I'm still time and money ahead when it shows up on my doorstep.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting 0w40 full synthetic diesel oil from shellbourne out of Ontario shipped to AB for a decent price but I had to get 4x imp.gallon jugs at a time - stopped getting shellbourne because I ran out of patience waiting for them to build the oil then ship it then how long it took to get it - I would rather pay more for oil and be able to get it 7 days a week IMO - I'm the type of guy that when I need it - I need it now

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom