Buying a Car for my Son...Advise Needed

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, we have been looking for my kids first car for a couple weeks, had a couple we liked that sold before we could see them. Found one yesterday we liked, dropped a deposit on it until we can get it inspected etc. Here's the background...
Its the guys first car (2002 Liberty) bought new
Having a family needed something bigger, stored in moms garage for a few years, last tag on plate is '17.
Has no insurance on it, no valid registration. Has no interest in putting current tag on it, or a temporary insurance rider.
Vin search came back clean. The car is basically mint.
Is this a big headache? Walk away? Lowball him to death?
Never dealt with anything like this before.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Do a search on internet to get an idea if what people are asking. All deals should expect to discount, who knows how much.
Have a mechanical done, can’t catch everything but can let you know a lot.
Going for a drive is a must, you can hear and feel a lot.
From there it’s a buyer beware.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, we have been looking for my kids first car for a couple weeks, had a couple we liked that sold before we could see them. Found one yesterday we liked, dropped a deposit on it until we can get it inspected etc. Here's the background...
Its the guys first car (2002 Liberty) bought new
Having a family needed something bigger, stored in moms garage for a few years, last tag on plate is '17.
Has no insurance on it, no valid registration. Has no interest in putting current tag on it, or a temporary insurance rider.
Vin search came back clean. The car is basically mint.
Is this a big headache? Walk away? Lowball him to death?
Never dealt with anything like this before.

Could buy it with subject to a vehicle inspection.
I did that once.
Inspection came back with more than the guy told me and more than i was willing to accept.
So deal was off. I got my depost back but was out the inspection cost.

Cheap insurance. If it pans out then hey why not. Go for it. If the inspection fails. Grab your deposit and leave.

There are companies that will come to a private residence as well to do the inspection

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you interested in a 2009 dodge Caliber 5sp for your boy??? Its a very sound and reliable car that’s treated me well the last 5 years.
Winter tires mounted on rims, I put new front brakes on it this spring. This car was my local commuter to work and to the airport. It has 110k or less on it, I cannot recall exactly.
Its been a excellent car for me but My employment has changed and I do not need it any longer.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer, but he's set on a small suv.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could buy it with subject to a vehicle inspection.
I did that once.
Inspection came back with more than the guy told me and more than i was willing to accept.
So deal was off. I got my depost back but was out the inspection cost.

Cheap insurance. If it pans out then hey why not. Go for it. If the inspection fails. Grab your deposit and leave.

There are companies that will come to a private residence as well to do the inspection

Deposit is on it now pending an inspection, but without insurance or registration we cant road test it, or get it to the shop for an inspection. My tech BIL is coming out tonight to give another seasoned look at it.
Has anyone heard of a way i can get a temporary rider on my insurance to safely drive this? I'm still waiting for a call back from my ins. co., but holiday hours, low staff, i might not hear back from them today.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Subject to mechanical inspection or walk and buy him something cheap but safe, so when he wrecks it you’re not as pissed.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deposit is on it now pending an inspection, but without insurance or registration we cant road test it, or get it to the shop for an inspection. My tech BIL is coming out tonight to give another seasoned look at it.
Has anyone heard of a way i can get a temporary rider on my insurance to safely drive this? I'm still waiting for a call back from my ins. co., but holiday hours, low staff, i might not hear back from them today.

Might have to do the old illegal road test.
Slap a set of plates on. And don't get caught

gasman

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with my son as well. I found a few cars but they were all asking top dollar for something that needed work. I had luck phoning a couple dealers and talking to the shop foreman. I told him what the car was and he gave me the top 3 or 4 things to look out for. Subject to inspection is a good idea also. If you have a good relationship with a dealer I would explain the no plates/ insurance thing and see if they would let you use a dealer plate to get it to the shop to do the inspection.

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a Consumer Guide book. It will have info on all cars and trucks. Shows predicted relailabilty etc. The Ford Edge chassis is very good and the Fusion, Lincoln MKX is on it. I avoid all Dodge/Chrysler products. Chev/GMC suvs and cars built on the light chassis are decent. Avoid all ford Explorers, did that 2 times ! Solid frame is best and will be better. Good Luck

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally talked to my insurance co. My butts covered if something happens. I guess i'll just bring the seller along on the road test, he'll do the 'plaining to the officer if we are pulled over.
BTW if any of you guys are with Novex, they are migrating all policies to Intact. Funny how you find out about this stuff. I never got a letter, email, phone message on auto dialer even. The way it was explained to me, when my kid gets his insurance, it will be with Intact, ours will be with Novex, until it all merges, then all get re written under Intact. Thats going to be a pile of papers coming in the mail. If it's one thing i've learned about these guys, they love printing!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Libertys aren't great electrical wise, or things like cv's. Those line of jeeps/crossovers, compass, patriot, caliber, etc are built cheap. If it won't be driven much and can be checked out very closely and everything is currently good and it's cheap then it wouldn't be too bad. But I wouldn't pay much. I know someone who just sold one 07 I believe just under 200km for $2800 I believe.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your insurance. If it hasn’t been insured or registered for a few years it might need an out of province inspection. Had that when I was younger nought a car off a neighbour that was sitting for years and that got pricey

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your insurance. If it hasn’t been insured or registered for a few years it might need an out of province inspection. Had that when I was younger nought a car off a neighbour that was sitting for years and that got pricey

They won't know or care the last time it was insured or registered. If they require a inspection is purely based on age of vehicle. If he's 16 and it's totally insured under him, I bet they will. If it under a older drivers policy who's been with them for awhile they probably won't care, not sure why it makes a difference but it does. If it is required, best to buy subject to it passing one.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inspection is usually required on vehicles 12 years or older. Just went through this with wife’s kid.

Low ball as much as you can.
Good luck.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are getting a mechanical inspection see if you can get your insurance company to give you their inspection form.
Have the shop fill it out at the same time.

Top Bottom