SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
September 28, 2022 by Adam Malik

Buick to offer dealer buyout ahead of EV switch​

Buick-new-logo.jpg

Buick’s new logo as it electrifies its models. Image courtesy of Buick
Buick dealerships that don’t want to be part of the company’s changeover to a fully electric automaker will be given the option of being bought out by parent company General Motors.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal recently, Buick’s head said all 2,000 Buick dealers in the U.S. will be given the option of taking the buyout.

Duncan Aldred, global vice president of Buick, GMC and GMC Hummer EV, was to outline the plans at a virtual meeting with dealers.

“Not everyone necessarily wants to make that journey, depending on where they’re located or the level of expenditure that the transition will demand,” Aldred told the WSJ. “So if they want to exit the Buick franchise, then we will give them monetary assistance to do so.”

Earlier this summer, Buick announced it would switch to being a fully electric automaker starting in 2024 when it introduces its first electric vehicle. It would also introduce new branding and a new logo. The transformation would be complete by 2030.

While those that take the buyout would give up the Buick franchise and no longer sell the brand’s vehicles, they can sell other GM brands, the WSJ noted.

When fellow GM-brand Cadillac made the same offer to its dealership, one-third agreed. Though, it’s not known how many Buick dealers will take the buyout.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The beginning of the end. What better way to go to a full manufacturer owned franchise plan with dealers just becoming service centres

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The beginning of the end. What better way to go to a full manufacturer owned franchise plan with dealers just becoming service centres

That would be kind of weird if every single automotive company started copying Tesla.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After dealing with multiple dealers on some new company trucks, I can see why manufacturers are starting to push to eliminate the dealer model. I don't blame them one bit. I'd say its a fair bet that their 1-800 help lines are full of complaints with dealers being scummy, to the point its hurting their image. It blows me away how many dealers refuse to sell a truck for MSRP (given the supply of 1 ton diesels as of late this is understandable) and for cash. 5-20K markup over MSRP and you HAVE to finance it... Not to mention being fed the line "This is the ONLY 3500 with the HO Cummins/Aisin in western canada". My boss found 6 of them sitting on a lot in BC doing a quick internet search and bought one of them for MSRP and cash. The local sales guy looked pretty stupid when that came up in conversation...

If there is one thing I absolutely HATE doing, its dealing on a new vehicle with some slick haired, cheap cologne reeking greasy salesman.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Told this to a buddy yesterday when we were golfing together. His last 3 vehicles for his wife have been Buicks. He said there won’t be a next time. I know there are folks like Johnny that are embracing electric tech but there is a large demographic that don’t. Far larger than the ones that do.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom