Broken key in puck lock.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I broke off the key in one of my puck locks on the front door of my trailer. the piece of the key is loose in the lock but to short to grab with a pliers or vice grips. Any ideas about how to get it out would be welcome. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carefully JB weld a piece of wire or small metal to the key. It will not take much JB weld. Possibly use tape or putty to hold the wire in place till the JB weld cures.
When cured you should be able to pull the key straight out.

Just a thought:dunno:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local crack house

Couple sharpened nails may work

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try using air pressure, if you can get a thin tube in alongside of the key. ( like the red tube that comes with spray lubes )

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try using air pressure, if you can get a thin tube in alongside of the key. ( like the red tube that comes with spray lubes )

Gonna try the magnet idea first but thanks for the feedback

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you're near a princess auto they have dental picks usually in the surplus section that are fine and would work well, otherwise any automotive parts store or canadian tire would carry o-ring pick sets.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use puck locks on my sled trailer too, and learned the hard way. That they always require a LOT of sliptivity, or the tumblers don't even turn.
1 air powered die grinder, 2 cut off wheels and 1 beer later the lock was cut off. They are not easy to cut!

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use puck locks on my sled trailer too, and learned the hard way. That they always require a LOT of sliptivity, or the tumblers don't even turn.
1 air powered die grinder, 2 cut off wheels and 1 beer later the lock was cut off. They are not easy to cut!

Same kinda thing i had to do.. forgot the keys to the puck locks for the big doors but remembered the one for the man door, kinda hard to fit a sled through them. We ended up buying the correct torx socket for the screws holding the whole latch (lock) and unbolting it everytime. When i got home i took the torch to it carefully and "unlocked it".

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Got the lock off the trailer by drilling into the keyhole and turning it to unlock with a flathead screwdriver. But on the bright side I can use my front door again and didn't do any damage to the trailer.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have first tried a little crazy glue on the end of the key and pressed it against the broken part, let sit a minute then pulled it out. Insert spare key and no harm done.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have first tried a little crazy glue on the end of the key and pressed it against the broken part, let sit a minute then pulled it out. Insert spare key and no harm done.

will store this one away in the back of my mind for in case it happens again.
thanks derek

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not that you need this anymore but I would have tried a thin pair of tweezers. I have real thin ones in my Swiss Army knife. They may not have been strong enough to pull out the piece tho'. Glad you got it..:d

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that you need this anymore but I would have tried a thin pair of tweezers. I have real thin ones in my Swiss Army knife. They may not have been strong enough to pull out the piece tho'. Glad you got it..:d

another one for the memory bank that I hopefully won't have to use in the future.
Thanks
Derek

c_nelson99

Reaction score
straighten a fish hook with the barb still intact, slip it in on the notched section of the key. Should be able to pull it right out, Father was a locksmith this is his trick.

Top Bottom