Bought a 09 1200

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's stretched to a 163, and has a fpp stage 1 turbo. What all should I keep an eye on on this beast?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The obvious: boost pressure, egt or A/F, octane, plug reading, detonation. The not so obvious: drive pressure, engine management system. What does it have for engine management?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The obvious: boost pressure, egt or A/F, octane, plug reading, detonation. The not so obvious: drive pressure, engine management system. What does it have for engine management?

Boost is at 8psi, and has the A/F gauge. I have to check the box again to see what kind it is.
The guy I bought it from claims that pump gas is ok?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention intake air temp. A lot of stage one or pump gas setups don't have intercoolers.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one has a air to air intercooler. I made sure it was intercooled.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on the valve cover seepage, water pump warpage, and the oil cooler. All 3 were somewhat of an issue in 09 and can be fixed, the most painful is the oil cooler..it's a PITA to replace with the motor in.

Chaincase tension is important on these. Keep the chain snug. Mine stretches enough I change chains somewhat regularily for peace of mind.

Fuel filters in the 09's were also updated in the 10's. The replacement is significantly larger. As soon as the 09 filter starts to plug fuel supply gets trimmed and you go into a lean condition.

What elevation are you running 8 psi at? I would consider a manual boost controller on it as well. At my elevation where I run (1600'), I can get away with 6psi on 91 with a hint of Torco Accelerator. At 7psi you're injectors are at max duration and can't supply anymore fuel.

Largest power gain on the FPP kit is a better designed turbo down pipe. The one that came with those kits is pretty restrictive.

What Primary clutch is on it? If it's a TRA of any sort you're fighting a losing battle. I've had the best experiences with either a Powerbloc 80 on a low boost kit or a recut Yamaha. You don't need a $1000+ clutch to hold low boost power on these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom