Boost Pack

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a good Boost pack for starting up Semi's. Currently we drag a lot of extension cords out to the truck and hook up a battery charger/booster and its a real pain.. Any good recommendations i found a nice noco one but im not paying $1700 for one would like to keep it around the $500 mark or lower so we do not have to get approvals

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a good Boost pack for starting up Semi's. Currently we drag a lot of extension cords out to the truck and hook up a battery charger/booster and its a real pain.. Any good recommendations i found a nice noco one but im not paying $1700 for one would like to keep it around the $500 mark or lower so we do not have to get approvals
back in the fracmaster days we had a big wheel hand truck or moving dolly with 2 truck batteries mounted on it. cables hooked to a disconnect then to a set of clamps. didn't matter how cold it was it would start 'em up. had a small charger mounted on it and it was plugged in all the time.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a homemade hand cart with 2 8D batteries for when we have to jump the trucks at work. Keep on battery tender when not in use.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I really have not heard to many good things about the fancy Booster packs. Sure there nice to have when your minivan dies, and yeah I seen them boost a diesel pick up.
They probably would even boost heavy equipment. But its situation dependent, for us as field mechanics, they dont like cold, and cold is when we use them the most. They never seem to be charged when we need them and if the battery voltage is too low they won’t work. I much prefer a actual battery with a custom made set of cables as my boost pack vs any other types. If it was me, instead of spending money on a fancy boost pack, go buy a dedicated Hand truck, and some good batteries.
As a side note, I seen a set up where they made the boost cart with a sort of control panel built on, and they could use it to test trailer plugs and lights and such, so it had dual purpose. The charger was built right in so when you parked it, you just plugged into the wall and done!

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also with ours I have the batteries set up on quick connections to go from 12 to 24 volt easily.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of the boost packs and agree, i've had it fully charged pull it out a few months later when you need it like last week and it started with half a charge and I bought the thing last winter it's not old. Works great for smaller engines but waste of time on bigger diesels. Mine is for up to 6L diesels, on my 15L from half charge 2 cranks and it was dead, totally useless for that size. I don't use anything fancy otherwise, if I can't get a vehicle close enough just keep a charged heavy truck battery and heavy booster cables.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a homemade hand cart with 2 8D batteries for when we have to jump the trucks at work. Keep on battery tender when not in use.
Thats exactly what Truck shops use to go outside and jump start diesels, don't know of many boost packs that are 24v, you need that juice to start otherwise wasting your time. As most require 24 to start not 12 tried explaining that to some steering wheel holders at work they just looked at me with the Huh look lol. Hand cart all the way, you can build a pretty nice hand cart for 500$, cables i made my own out of welding cable 20ft'rs.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends what you're trying to boost. IMO boosting a semi at -20 or -30 if not plugged in and no coolant heater is asking for big issues, sure you can put the juice to it but you're destroying the engine. The only time you should need to do so is if you didn't realize the batteries were a bit weak or not fully charged. If decent batteries won't start it alone, it's too cold to start it.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These ones work very well. Not sure if it is large enough for what you need. I know the city uses them to start gravel trucks, snow plow trucks etc. I have one and it work great. I bought three more for Christmas gifts to hand out. Can also purchase a nice little carry case
1640012367216.jpeg

Last edited:

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would a Thermo starter work for your application? Obviously not a booster.
We had them on a few of our trucks...quite a few years ago when I worked there.
Problem with them is...we had a rent a driver that left the tractor in gear.
Came in one morning with the bumper of the tractor against the building and four inch holes in the asphalt...

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a tough thing when you're pulling diesel current out of a lithium starter. I know when my batteries in my duramax were dying putting the noco 1500A didnt have enough to start it. Buddy that owns a mobile shop pulled out the Noco 4250a one and that worked, but still couldnt really run the glow plugs and start it. Id say if your starting a semi your spending a grand on the pack if you want it to reliably start it. Batteries and a cart as noted above would prob be your cheapest option.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally forgot about the cart and a couple of batteries... That would be the best option especially since we sell batteries and already have everything in the shop to build it except for a small trickle charger... other than cranking amps what is the difference between using 2 group 31 or 2 8D batteries?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have this unit for my shop. Works great for boosting anything from a skid steer to a D8T. Battery carts are nice but pushing one around in the snow is a pain in the ass.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the smaller booster they do not have enough sap, noco seems to be large enough to get the job done. Canadiantire has the GB150 3000amp. I have the gb 70 it works

Top Bottom