blown in attic insulation

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have asked the same for Edmonton area. Ron I’m on RR 20 a couple of subdivisions north of you.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vacuum out the attic, remove all batts, remove vapour barrior, box out all electrical boxes and bath fans with 1/2" drywall, spray R20-2lbs closed cell spray foam directly to the bare drywall and trusses, R40 loose fill, (don't do cellulose) and Bob's your uncle
Why not cellulose

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I should have asked the same for Edmonton area. Ron I’m on RR 20 a couple of subdivisions north of you.

jeebus, I looked at houses on RR20 a couple subdivisions north of Ron before we bought the one we're in now.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any S&M folks in the Calgary area that perform these assessments...?

How much should an assessment cost?

They phoned everyone in canada in the early 2000, most people had call display and would not answer their phone. I did ... at first i thought it was a scam because of all the money they were offering. In order to get the money you had to hire this firm to determine how much you would be entitled to. I was a little shocked on the basement, and how little roof insulating would help. But this is a pretty good idea of where you can save. I am thinking when you sell your house down the road you will need a home some sort of proof where your house sits for heat loss. But you get a pretty good idea in this threat where the savings are. I have only worked on two log cabins, one the inspector had red stickered a guys house. That was a bit of a challenge to get his house up to code and finished.

Sled denny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So thinking about upgrading my attic insulation, thoughts? Has anyone done it noticed any difference? I'm averaging about 8-10" in my roof right now. Doing it yourself seems reasonable but wondering if worth the hassle? I'm going to be close to 2500 sq ft between house and garage.
Very easy we built in 2012 and Home Depot gives you the blower we you buy from them easy work to do two people one on hose and one putting in bags in the machine

Sled denny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So thinking about upgrading my attic insulation, thoughts? Has anyone done it noticed any difference? I'm averaging about 8-10" in my roof right now. Doing it yourself seems reasonable but wondering if worth the hassle? I'm going to be close to 2500 sq ft between house and garage.
But now days spray foam has come a long way and dose not shrink

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new house being built with spray foam you just paint that stuff no plastic. Maybe moisture forms with foam over plastic. Best check into that before you go hell bent and spray your ceiling.

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
I did extensive research before building my new home in 2017, the choice to use spray foam insulation, was without a doubt the easiest choice to make.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for blown-in insulation in the Edmonton area? Looking to get my garage/shop insulated and sealed for winter.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did extensive research before building my new home in 2017, the choice to use spray foam insulation, was without a doubt the easiest choice to make.

My son was the first house in PG to use spray foam, the building inspector for that area made him put Styrofoam over the plywood on the 2x6 walls to make it to R22 rating. That being said when you go up to his house, his house is the only one steaming off in the morning, it looks like it is on fire.

Top Bottom