Best Way to Remove This Bearing

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bearing (#12) is imbedded in the clutch cover. Its pretty small, maybe 1 1/4" dia with a 7/16" center. I'm sure there's a special tool to remove it, but its probably more to buy than the bearings worth. I'm planning on hydraulicly removing it with grease and a center punch. A firm tap of a hammer should force it out. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 140

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya maybe your grease trick. Or a Blind bearing puller would be the tool for it.
I have one if needed. 11 keystone light!

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screwdriver a couple of screws into it pull on it with vice grips,or use the hook from claw hammer if it fits

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could carefully fold one side of the cage in and slowly make it smaller than the hole it goes into. I had to do that with a bearing in the front diff on my Kodiak once. Took some time but got it out without marring up the aluminum

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the worst is when the bearing exploded and just the outside cage has to come out,that’s the first time I bought a dremel

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bread, a punch and a hammer, tissue paper works too.
So stick the bread or tissue paper in the center of the bearing ring. Grab a punch similar to the same size as the hole in the bearing, tap and pack the material in there with the punch and hammer, put more bread or tissue paper and keep tapping and packing it in until the bearing is pushed out of the hole.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get those at Canadian tire or princess auto for cheap. It’s really not worth screwing around with punches/ welding / bread or grease methods.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bearing (4).jpg bearing (3).jpg bearing (1).jpg bearing (2).jpg

Used the toilet paper trick from above with some grease. Took some time, but it came out!
Tried with a bolt first, it worked at the start but not enough of a seal near the end. I found an old crank handle, perfect fit. Edged it a bit and it came out in a couple minutes.
She's all back together and ready to roll!

Top Bottom