Best place for AV gas

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into buying a turbo alpha, it’s a boondocker sidekick running 50/50, just wondering prices of AV gas and where guys are getting it these days

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whitecourt Airport, cheaper than most other places around. Grande Prairie is $2.05/liter right now, Whitecourt should be around $1.90

Well that’s handy lol, right down the road

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which business you have to go to there to get it, but I know guys that used to fill slip tanks on trips back from Edmonton because of the higher cost here in GP.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chances are probably just go to the airport and do it direct, I’ll inquire some people who probably are in the know

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the guys in edmonton area villeneuve airport is always easy to get it from
Cardinal aviation pull right up the the pump fil up and go inside to pay, the guy was super helpful and only live 5 min from the airport and said if it was a decent volume he didint mind coming in after hours.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Villeneuve flight center has a gate that is always open, and if it is locked they will give you the code so you can come and go after hours. The kiosk is a def serve set up so it doesn’t matter time of day that you are there. The hose is long enough to reach to your truck/trailer if you want to fill slip tanks or barrels.

also, if you are ever looking to inquire about pricing you can just go to www.100ll.ca and it will list real time prices for everywhere that is selling it. Sometimes the prices can be quite different from location to location even in the same airport which is good to pay attention to because if it is cheaper than everyone else’s prices you know that the cheaper location likely bought their fuel long ago at lower prices but this also lets you know how much longer the fuel has been there. I don’t mind paying a little extra if I know the fuel isn’t months old already before I purchase it.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blue wave energy in Olds not sure on the price this year. My kid paid $1.81 at the Sundre airport last weekend.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was talking with the Shell guy at Kelowna airport. They are prohibited to see to anyone but aviation people. So, If I dress up as a stewardess, can I buy some 100 please?
He told me Vernon airport sells it over the counter though? WTF?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was talking with the Shell guy at Kelowna airport. They are prohibited to see to anyone but aviation people. So, If I dress up as a stewardess, can I buy some 100 please?

Of course, don't we all have small planes and that's what the fuel is for?

Shell/Esso are going to be pretty sticky on making sure you have your tail number/pilots license handy, where the smaller outfits are less likely to care in case you forget those important details.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With AV gas being on the dry side is it beneficial to run a half a cup or so of oil in every tank? Anybody do this or have experience with that?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With AV gas being on the dry side is it beneficial to run a half a cup or so of oil in every tank? Anybody do this or have experience with that?

There's valid arguments on both sides. I'm personally not a believer that avgas is "dry", I've had no more issues with avgas than I have with standard pump fuel, if anything I've had less because it is made to very strict chemical tolerances and is certified for use in aircraft. I don't find it any harder on fuel lines or other fuel line components either.

Avgas is free of the varnishes, waxes, and other contaminants that gasoline normally has. Put a 100ml of avgas in an open glass container and it will all evaporate away, good gasoline should also do the same, but often doesn't due to heavier ends in the fuel, or some level of contamination with diesel.

That being said I put some oil in my fuel, between 100 and 125 to 1. I do this because of where the auxillary injectors are located, they add fuel to the throttle bodies and this washes out some of the oil from the crank, this extra oil just helps to replace some that is lost. Turning up the oil pump can also help immensely. This is on a 800 Polaris machine FWIW.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brandon Petroleum in Edmonton, Sells av gas for significantly less than the airports. its by the drum. The reason they do is because its too old to sell to airports. Ran it in my turbo sled for 2 years with no issues though it might not be 110 but its definitely higher than 100

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 100 litres of av gas a few days ago, $1.75/ L cash price in Whitecourt from Rotavia, easy to deal with.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Smart guy grabs a plane number before filling and your filling it up.

Okotoks airport has 2 prices for av gas. Super fresh and the stuff that doesn’t meet aviation standards. The non-standard stuff is usually 30mins cheaper. Minimum fill usually 100l. That said I usually wen there and filled 2 drums at a time.

Top Bottom