Best lake camping within 2 hours of edmonton

NORDIC

Reaction score
Looking for a nice campground, provincial or regional, within 2 hours of Edmonton. Preferably with a beach and playground for small kids. Group site would be best for our group, all families with small kids. Power would be nice but not a big deal.
Thunder Lake?
Moose Lake?

thanks in advance

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you just want a nice beach for the kids and no powerboating, Hope Lake near Boyle Alberta is nice. For power boating, go to North Buck Lake which has a fantastic beach and is a nice clean lake.

Hanmore Lake is nice and clean with an OK beach.

Long Lake is OK before the August long weekend when the algae bloom takes over.

Two hours still puts you in Sylvan, Gull and Pigeon Lake too.

Cannot speak to Thunder and Moose Lake as I have never been to those.

Good lucK and have fun.

Really can't say

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moose lake can be ok, normally gets the blue green algae at some point during the year though. For the extra half hour, crane lake is a lot nicer, but usually very busy for boating.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the brazeau damp. There are nice private sand islands all over the lake if you have a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about Miquelon. I haven't been there in years, but it had a great beach that had sand extend out way into the water. Its a provincial park, so not sure about booze regulations and cost.
Benefit is that its close to Edmonton so people can come out and visit for a day and head home in evening

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Miquelon has a pretty nice campground but the water wasn't fit to be in last year. Can't imagine it's any better with this years moisture to date

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Don't think so. It had a lot of years of being really shallow, so lots of winter kill. They may have also treated the weeds/algae with something at one time, I don't remember for sure. Hasn't been fish in there in a long time. From what I understand, it was a pretty decent Perch fishery at one time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Miquelon is an alkali lake and never had any fish. You need to scrub your boat after you get out to get all the crap off.

NORDIC

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Miquelon has a nice campground, but ya the water is nasty! We are taking a drive out to Long Island lake north or westlock this weekend to check it out. Beautiful beach and the water is always clear, as its spring feed. Will be great for the kids! Will let you guys know more.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drive the extra bit. Spruce point at Kinuso.
It's been a long time since I've been up there. Probably 15yrs
Back then the beach was nice. The marina was big. They had playground and a mini golf course. The 3ft waves were always a favorite.

Not sure what it's like now.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned Buffalo Lake just South East of Bashaw. I haven't been there in years but it used to be good. There were several camp-sights scattered around it.

Top Bottom