Best gps for sledding

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep, you can pay a bit for better maps and offline downloads. Garmin Earthmate

could also buy a cheap InReach as well and run the app for a cheap/effective combo.

IMO the screens of Garmin need updating. I have a Rhino 650 for backup but it rarely gets used lately with Gaia and Earthmate.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Tread. It came out this summer and is oriented specifically towards off road use. I Also looked at the Montana series, but they are a low resolution and very slow processor.
I had been using phone apps such as ski tracks, topo canada and google earth/maps, and while I was happy with the apps, I wanted something hard mounted to the sled. The plan was to buy a phone just for use as a dedicated gps, mount it with a waterproof case/charger, but then discovered the Tread. Pretty happy with it so far; would recommend.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gaia app on your phone +12v plug and charger on the sled.
If you don't have a charger just set phone to airplane mode so it isn't constantly searching for service. You can turn it on as required. Phone battery will easily last a day when it's just running the Gaia app.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a charger just set phone to airplane mode so it isn't constantly searching for service. You can turn it on as required. Phone battery will easily last a day when it's just running the Gaia app.

I leave my phone in my pant pocket. It will run Gaia all day and search for service. In my Pant pocket It’s also far enough away not to interfere with my beacon when in search mode.

Reactions: RXN

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend pays for Gaia and the options are unreal! I run the free one and its good. I guess the gaia can show track files overlaid with google earth and if you can run it properly, its a great app

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail tech if you want one that mounts to the sled. It has buddy tracking, and hooks up with the new Polaris sleds.

61F7C333-2C25-4B7D-8F57-C8453192BF65.jpeg

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That Trail Tech is the one I would go with, if anything just for the buddy system. Not cheap but be sweet if your whole group had one or if you ride with Polaris boys.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally love the rino 755t 5w - wish more of my buddies had them tho - I sunk my sled in the creek at chappel last yr with it charging in the glove box - fully submerged - still works perfect - battery life is horrible so I just leave the rig plugged in sometimes

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caroline, Alberta, Canadia, Earth, Milkyway
I use Avenza maps and then have a little GPS receiver that Bluetooth to my phone for more accurate tracking. Is a pretty cheap option and you can just leave it plugged into your Sled USB in the Glove box.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference between the rino and the rest of em - it drops the pin on your buddies - the hard part is gettin them to get a rino - cheap hoors spend how much on everything else tho - chapps my *ss

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with the rino is they package too much ch!t into it. I don't want a shitty touchscreen GPS or a shitty no range radio I just want to be able to see where my buddies are. That Garmin Tread posted above looks tits and would work killer in a SXS as well.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with the rino is they package too much ch!t into it. I don't want a shitty touchscreen GPS or a shitty no range radio I just want to be able to see where my buddies are. That Garmin Tread posted above looks tits and would work killer in a SXS as well.
I agree - I only use it for keeping tracks and pin drops on the buddies that are sewered in a creek or vice versa - baeofang for the chatty times

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rino was a disappointment.

Maybe if it live tracked your buddy.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a rino and montana and while great, the screen size and resolution don't compare to an iphone with a quality gps app.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only 1 free map with Gaia and the rest are $49.99 for a subscription?

Last edited:
Top Bottom