Best Diesel regardless of make or year…

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Looks on the High Country’s. The Denali wheel well look ridiculous! .
They look like they traced out half a stop sign!
Once I noticed it I can’t get past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2019 when we were suddenly in a situation of having to buy a new truck, I decided to keep an open mind and try them all. I liked the look of the GMC truck , but once inside and driving, it just wasn't for me. I'm 6'5" and about 195Lbs. Felt like it had less room, sightlines were poor for me, gauges and gauge view was not good, hated the lag from the gas pedal and didn't like how much effort it took to stop the truck. Right beside the GM dealer was a Ford dealer. Took the 350 for a drive...much more comfortable for me, felt like it had soo much more room, much better sight lines, better gauge view, better giddyup and braking. Ended up with the Ford.

I find ford and dodge you sit up more like a chair. The Chevy I find you sit with your legs more straight out more car like. Not sure about new ones but the 2005 or so ones I thought this.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a few trucks over the years. 05LLY, 07 LBZ, 16 LML, 97 Powerstroke, 03 LB7, 20 L8T Gas 3500HD and I went down this road a few months back after selling my 20.

I ended up with another ‘03 LB7. Unmolested. No emissions so I never have to worry about that and it’s solid truck not like the new Chinese pop can trucks they’ve made since 2020. I really liked my old powerstroke to with the 5 speed manual for what it was. But those ones lacked a few feature comforts and less hp compared to the ones built the past 20 years.

I’m getting to that point too, go back to an older truck, get a SUV or car for regular computing and just leave the truck for truck stuff… Sold my 20 6.6 gasser this winter for unreal money, couldn’t say no. Went back to a half ton for now but sucks a bit pulling the trailers.

Looks like decent prices on some LB7 & LLY’s trucks can be found. Might even just pick up a gasser 3/4 ton but those dmax’s are calling mg name…

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2019 when we were suddenly in a situation of having to buy a new truck, I decided to keep an open mind and try them all. I liked the look of the GMC truck , but once inside and driving, it just wasn't for me. I'm 6'5" and about 195Lbs. Felt like it had less room, sightlines were poor for me, gauges and gauge view was not good, hated the lag from the gas pedal and didn't like how much effort it took to stop the truck. Right beside the GM dealer was a Ford dealer. Took the 350 for a drive...much more comfortable for me, felt like it had soo much more room, much better sight lines, better gauge view, better giddyup and braking. Ended up with the Ford.
I find all chev vehicles fit "smaller". I'm 6'4 ,235 and every chev I sit in feels really small. Ford and dodge feel way better to me

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well so far it seems I’ll seek out 04.5 - 07 gm/chev …. Unmolested,,,
My Max towing All in +-9500 lbs …. Both my 02‘ & 06‘ - 2500hd 6.0 gassers seem to be ok with this aside from the occasional hill,,,,
Also seems reasonable for my purposes to keep it under 160-180 k
Depending on body condition 25 - 30k seem reasonable ? If box is “beat“ probably a little less..

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well so far it seems I’ll seek out 04.5 - 07 gm/chev …. Unmolested,,,
My Max towing All in +-9500 lbs …. Both my 02‘ & 06‘ - 2500hd 6.0 gassers seem to be ok with this aside from the occasional hill,,,,
Also seems reasonable for my purposes to keep it under 160-180 k
Depending on body condition 25 - 30k seem reasonable ? If box is “beat“ probably a little less..

That is a Xmas wish list for sure! I hope u find it but I think ur gunna be shopping for awhile!
GLWS

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fortunately Ive got trucks, time, and am willing to travel a reasonable distance ,,, say 8-10 hr drive
If I buy outta BC being an Alberta resident would I still have to pay BC vehicle sale taxes?
That is a Xmas wish list for sure! I hope u find it but I think ur gunna be shopping for awhile!
GLWS

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fortunately Ive got trucks, time, and am willing to travel a reasonable distance ,,, say 8-10 hr drive
If I buy outta BC being an Alberta resident would I still have to pay BC vehicle sale taxes?
No such thing as vehicle sale tax only pst and no you don't

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys can hold out I'll have a 2005 5.9, 202,000 kms, crew cab short box with a brand new long block block installed, nadp tranny, MINT body for sale in the nearish future. (As soon as we get the motor in) . It's that dark blue color

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot about the injector pump problems maybe too much. Has anyone had a real problem with this or is it just hype?

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 03 5.9 cummins is still kicken at 539k, body is starting to rust though. Newer is always nicer but at a price. I went from a 91.5 12v to the 03, was a great upgrade aslong as nothing needs to be replaced too soon.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 03 5.9 cummins is still kicken at 539k, body is starting to rust though. Newer is always nicer but at a price. I went from a 91.5 12v to the 03, was a great upgrade aslong as nothing needs to be replaced too soon.

please tell me you still got the 1st gen, please oh please. Im never selling my 96, get more thumbs up in it than the mega
on your 03 did you have the fuel pump upgraded? in 03 was more of a fuel suck than a pump.
If you need parts Dodge Diesel truck world in lacombe is the place to go. Spencer is a great dude !! no matter what tire kickers say

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
please tell me you still got the 1st gen, please oh please. Im never selling my 96, get more thumbs up in it than the mega
on your 03 did you have the fuel pump upgraded? in 03 was more of a fuel suck than a pump.
If you need parts Dodge Diesel truck world in lacombe is the place to go. Spencer is a great dude !! no matter what tire kickers say
Nope, sold the 12v. Single cab wasnt big enough for the new family. An old single farmer in AB bought it to check his fields, huge waste for that but whatever, he paid what i wanted. Only pic i have on my phone of it, was in really good shape with a ton of upgrades.

The 03 i have not upgraded anything fuel system wise other than aux fuel filters before the injection pump. It had the in-tank lift pump already when i bought it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-094405_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220608-094405_Chrome.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 108

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, sold the 12v. Single cab wasnt big enough for the new family. An old single farmer in AB bought it to check his fields, huge waste for that but whatever, he paid what i wanted. Only pic i have on my phone of it, was in really good shape with a ton of upgrades.

The 03 i have not upgraded anything fuel system wise other than aux fuel filters before the injection pump. It had the in-tank lift pump already when i bought it.

rofl probably paid the 03 for what it sold the 91 for. totally understand the extra interior room is nice. Ever contemplate stocker 475 compounds on that thing ? I assure you it is safe with the 5.9 compared to the 6.7. Pull like a beast

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rofl probably paid the 03 for what it sold the 91 for. totally understand the extra interior room is nice. Ever contemplate stocker 475 compounds on that thing ? I assure you it is safe with the 5.9 compared to the 6.7. Pull like a beast
Yup, was pretty much straight across for price. I had a 475 i was going to pair with the he351cw i put on the 12v to give it a pick me up but didnt get to it. I upgraded both wheels on the 03 turbo (62/65) and would love to put a compound setup but just cannot justify it yet. I hardly use it anymore, tow a camper or car hauler maybe 10 times a year these days. Might hit the mountains sledding again this winter though, been some years.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, was pretty much straight across for price. I had a 475 i was going to pair with the he351cw i put on the 12v to give it a pick me up but didnt get to it. I upgraded both wheels on the 03 turbo (62/65) and would love to put a compound setup but just cannot justify it yet. I hardly use it anymore, tow a camper or car hauler maybe 10 times a year these days. Might hit the mountains sledding again this winter though, been some years.
Right on ! I did same to my hx35, made it a 60/67. Love the stock appearing.
If I get my farm near two hills I'll be in your neck of the woods soon homeslice ! Finally bang some ditches

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot about the injector pump problems maybe too much. Has anyone had a real problem with this or is it just hype?

Yes it's an issue. The three plunger CP3 pumps are more reliable than the newer double acting 2 plunger CP4 pumps.

Keeping the fuel clean, and keeping water out of the fuel goes a long way though. Both contaminants shorten pump life dramatically.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed fill your tidy tank if thats how you are equipped, good water block 10 micron filter and pump away. I realize its not practical for everyone.

Top Bottom