Beacon Repair - Edmonton area

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checking to see if there is anyone in the Edmonton area that is real good at soldering?
I broke one of the small tabs that connects the battery in one of my spare beacons.

Would like to know if its fixable?

Beacon is a BCA Tracker DTS. Like I said its a spare beacon I keep in the truck should we get to the hill and someone forgot theirs.

If its not repairable, is there a place that takes these? or just to the electronics recycle place?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just checking to see if there is anyone in the Edmonton area that is real good at soldering?
I broke one of the small tabs that connects the battery in one of my spare beacons.

Would like to know if its fixable?

Beacon is a BCA Tracker DTS. Like I said its a spare beacon I keep in the truck should we get to the hill and someone forgot theirs.

If its not repairable, is there a place that takes these? or just to the electronics recycle place?

I had a similar incident two years ago with a Barryvox. ASS in Golden looked after it and I was more than pleased with the service. I have had excellent results with BCA in Winlaw, BC with our radios. I would give them a call and if they can't fix them, I am sure they would point you in the right direction. Good luck Ryan.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Lol, prefect thank you, I sent them a message.

you can probably reach out directly to BCA Canada as well, Deb & Duane stand behind the product, and may be able to hook you up quickly!

• Thanks

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so Ass sent me to K2 canada. none repairable.
K2 said to talk to a BCA dealer in my area and I should be able to upgrade to a newer model with a 10% discount.
Now to decide if i really want to spend money for a spare beacon.
Will talk with a few dealers on that Tracker S, see what happens

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You have a contact link or number. googling ass golden gives you a whole lot of stuff
I'm betting it would!!
That’s funny sh!t right there. He meant avalanche safety solutions 250 344 8606
Yes, I am sure that would be some funny ****!!

"ass golden" would bring up some laughs, no doubt.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
googles ass in Golden.... bahahaha

when the internet was new... I was in like grade 3 and a friend was doing research for a school project on beavers... man did we see some ****

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find an electronics repair shop if it’s just a quick solder.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So an old retired co worker of mine is into electronics. He restores old radios and things.

I took it to him last he opened it up.
Removed the old broken clip. Soldered in a new one. And had to glue the two halves together.
Beacon is together and working.
It's a good spare still.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was neat to see the inside of one of these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201031-110125_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201031-110125_Gallery.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 129

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust a repaired glued together beacon with my life.
Is 300 bucks worth your life?

That's where I'm torn.
I run a T3
Should I even be carrying a spare in my truck?
Everyone else should have their own and be responsible to ensuring they bring it.
I have 2 of these I'm running as spares.

This one might (and most likely) make it's way into the bury the beacon box. With the old analog ones.
These are the ones we bury when we practice.

I just really dont want to spend 300 on a spare that sits in my truck all winter.

I even tossed the idea of donating this one to Zacstracks or a place that does Avy classes. They can show folks the guts of these. Not sure really if you gain anything out of seeing the insides

Last edited:

Levithan

Reaction score
Yhea that's the best idea, just use it as a bury beacon.
Don't really need a spare i don't think.
If your current beacon failed, it would be trash anyhow( you would hope it didn't fail in an emergency) and you would need to buy a new one.
Worse come to worse you could do what my group and i do, just rent your beacons from a local outfit for 15-20 bucks a day when you goto the mountains.

• Thanks

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a pieps with a cracked screen (hit chest on bars with it in sling) and was told that they basically don’t fix them. Bought a t3 instead. Wish I could buy a screen for it, seems dumb to throw it away over a 1”lcd that cracked, but can’t search the way it is.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a pieps with a cracked screen (hit chest on bars with it in sling) and was told that they basically don’t fix them. Bought a t3 instead. Wish I could buy a screen for it, seems dumb to throw it away over a 1”lcd that cracked, but can’t search the way it is.

Sounds like you got a good practice beacon as well.

Top Bottom