Battery light flashing and engine light on 2013 pro 800.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I have searched my problem and not found the right answer so hopefully some here can help. Last year my battery light started flashing on my sled at low rpm's and would go away after I revved it past 5000 and as the season finished it started to stay on more and more. I checked all of my grounds and put dielectic grease on all connections with no improvement. I then bought a new voltage regulator right from polaris this year and hoped to fix my problem. I have the battery light showing up again at low rpms and clearing as i rev it up. I have looked at all my wires and not found any that have rubbed through or broken, sled has 2400 kms. What is my next coarse of action, stator? How do i determine that it is the fault? Electronics get expensive cuz you cannot return them, and my shop in town is brutal so I would like to do this myself if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you physically checked the voltage? What code is it actually throwing? That will help you out alot. If you changed the ac voltage reg, pull the recoil and see what it looks like. I had the stator pickups come loose.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I changed the regulator in the harness on the clutch cover. I will check connections on the stator this week but its gonna be a big job cuz i gotta remove turbo etc. I will post if that is the issue, thanks.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been through this before. Lots of fun chasing wires. You can check the stator easily. Do you have a copy of the shop manual? I believe the test is covered there or you can google it. After that test the voltage when the condition occurs. Could be as simple (but hard to find) as a weak ground or a stator. If you need a stator I have a spare as I changed one last year for nothing due to a short. These ones take patience.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I will find out how to check the stator and go from there, good to know you have one as I may need it. Wiring is my weak area but I will have to dig into it I guess:(

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The manual has been posted by others on here a few times just do a search. If you can't find it I can email to you.

sykes59

Reaction score
Check speed sensor wire I had a belt blow must of pulled on the wire and the clutch rubbed it bare

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I have now taken all my plastic off and started to check all connections and rub areas etc. So far all looks well. I cannot find anywhere on line on how to test the polaris stator, lots of others but all have different wires etc. If anyone can tell me exactly that would be great. There is 2 plug ins from the stator, 1 has 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires the other has 7 wires i believe with all kinda colours, orange,white, black etc. The little bit I have tested has shown no broken wires on the 2 yellows and blacks and no shorts. I have not verified resistance though. TDR I may pm you and see if your good stator is available for testing if thats an option or maybe it is for sale, what are they worth new? From all the online research I have done it is pointing to stator or fuel pump drawing too much voltage, I have not checked that either, anyone have that spec? I guess my other option is to spend some time at the polaris store and read through their manual.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
So i spent a few more hours in the garage tonite on the pro. I went to my local dealer and got the printout of the stator specs and i feel that my stator is not good. I will try to attach a picture of the sheet and my readings of my machines stator are written in pen. I double checked all grounds and wires again and even added a ground wire from the motor directly to the wiring grounds on my upper support where they are from factory, no change with this ground. If anyone has an educated guess on this i am all ears as a new stator isnt cheap, thanks. image.jpg

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catman that's the test chart I was talking about. Very possible stator is done. You could also check the ac and dc output while running. I have a spare stator. I will have to cross check the numbers to see if it will work. I believe it will.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I did check it running and it was all over the place as high as 13.9 volts and down to 5 volts. It did even out if the rpms were above 5000 rpm but obviously still not right. If you have a spare stator to try or buy I would like to do that forsure, new ones are $400.00. I have been trying to get it fixed for the weekend but time is running out so I will be on the kids sled ha ha.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
This is a normal symptom when the fuel pump draws too much. Put a amp clamp on the power wire to the pump and start it. Or use jumpers and a battery to power it up. Normal draw is 4.3-4.5 amps. Anything over 5 will start giving you problems.
Sometimes adding a small shot of oil to your gas will help but it's really a bandaid.
We think it is caused by Av gas because that seems to be the common denominator.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Hey thanks Niel, I did that test last year on my pump and it was in spec but I will check it again tonite. I run a bit of oil in every tank as well. Sled has no runability issues orher than the pesky battery light but I dont want to take out the ecm. I think a new stator is in my future.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catman I have not had time to chase the numbers. The stator I have is a SPX 894-0003. It says Polaris 600-700-800.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I have had some interesting devopments. Did a stator swap and still the same issue. I then checked my fuel pump and it is reading up close to 5 amps mostly so Niel looks to have hit it out of the ballpark. Interesting situation as I used a generic tester to test my stator and it did not give correct readings which led me to believe it was toast but with an expensive tool it was right on spec. Lots of time spent but I am learning a whole bunch anyways!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Just got back from Revy and everything worked perfectly so I am very happy. The only thing that sucks is the price of these fuel pumps are through the roof, $ 850.00! Does anyone know if I can take this apart and just buy the pump and maybe cut the cost or is it all glued together with a special pump? I would like to fix my bad one and keep it for a spare if possible.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine did that and it was the voltage regulator. Switch from another sled and the problem moved over to the second sled. It was replaced under warranty.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Revy and everything worked perfectly so I am very happy. The only thing that sucks is the price of these fuel pumps are through the roof, $ 850.00! Does anyone know if I can take this apart and just buy the pump and maybe cut the cost or is it all glued together with a special pump? I would like to fix my bad one and keep it for a spare if possible.

Call boost it. They have found a alternative so you can just replace the pump. It is substantially cheaper than going oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had this battery indictator and CEL come on my sled....and my sled doesn’t even have a battery

Im running approx 75/25 av/94 (there was leftover 94 in tank)

Im also experiencing hard starting problems. I have to pull the rope 3-4 times rapidly to get it to fire. When I say rapidly I mean I don’t let it wind all the way back in and have to pull.

Mine is turbo’d, never had the starting issues pre-turbo

Top Bottom