Barnes or good old lead

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was doing some shooting with Barnes factory load in 270 Win. and decided to take a few shots at a 1" thick steel plate at 100yds.
The penitration into steel was maybe half as deep as the previous divots from Core-lockt. Both were 130g leads.

I thought that Barnes were better for penitration?????
Any one else have experience with barnes- both were factory loads.

At about $25 more a box I was expecting a bit more from the barnes.
Maybe no breakup but penitration seemed less than stellar.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't explain it technically but the barnes will drive deeper into animals because of the longer bullet design being solid copper and hold together better retaining energy as it creates a wound channel. Lead will drive deeper initially because of the weight retention and only traveling 1/2" into the steel. Something to do with the lead being more malleable and it reacting on the steel surface at speed bla bla physics bs. True or not I don't know but I asked the similar question to someone who I think is rather knowledgable of energy and kenetics. I've shot barnes as well as a number of my friends and we come up with the same reasoning. Shooting barnes you want to hit bone. A through n through on the lungs does not drop them in their tracks like a Nosler partition or core-lokt. The barnes doesn't hit enough substance for full expansion. The Barnes sure are nice if you can get them to work reloading. TTSX out of the 25-06 front shoulder on any whitetail mule deer size animal is instantanious chin plant in the dirt. True store, I watched my brother put two barnes 308 168gr bullets in the chest of whitetail buck at around 130ish yards and keep running. The third was a bit forward and hit shoulders and folded like a cheap tent. Any one shot was a kill shot. Still can't believe it or explain it. If you get good groups with the Core-Lokt stick with those out of peace of mind if nothing else. My $0.02. Hope it helps.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There isnt much that will penetrate a 1" steel plate. The way flesh opens up is far different scenario then the way steel is. For more accurate comparison try phone books or a large ham

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copper bullets are poor at penetrating steel, I think mostly because of their low weight.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copper bullets are poor at penetrating steel, I think mostly because of their low weight.

It was a fair comparison. 130g copper clad lead bullet against a 130g solid copper bullet so weights were equal.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or maybe because it's copper vs steel

Maybe because lead is denser than copper by weight - beats me!
Just a universe ending delema that I needed help on. lol

My daughter will be keeping her shots under 250yds so it likely does not matter that much.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use barnes been using them now for few years the ttsx will stop anything in its tracks i shoot a 300wsm or a 7mm rem mag and whatever i hit looks like its been nuked and leaves a blood trail stevie wonder could find, i swear by them

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 7RM takes Barnes as well. TTSX and TSX.

My 30-30 takes Barnes for as well. FN-TSX is devastating!

why it doesn't point steel as well. Well it is 100% weight retention, lead will splat out on impact. Plus it will be much broader on impact vs lead. So there is more surface area to push against the steel.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oler, I expect a copper bullet splats on impact with steel as well.

Top Bottom