86A431BF-78CE-4AD3-8F6B-57BE7CE4A811.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 121
  • D3C3E3EC-016C-4561-8E50-037DC81D0D52.jpeg
    D3C3E3EC-016C-4561-8E50-037DC81D0D52.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 121

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saved this recipe this week to try myself! How did they turn out Cale?

Amazing, Teeg. For the meat, I used fairly lean ground beef in the same mix I make home made burgers with: Egg, worchestershire sauce, tomato sauce and a little dry rub. Went with old cheddar, but damn near anything will work. My next batch will use Monterey Jack. 😄

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Amazing, Teeg. For the meat, I used fairly lean ground beef in the same mix I make home made burgers with: Egg, worchestershire sauce, tomato sauce and a little dry rub. Went with old cheddar, but damn near anything will work. My next batch will use Monterey Jack. 😄
I better make up a batch of these I guess.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just mixed up a batch of meat for my first try at smoked shotgun shells. Looked at a couple of YouTube videos and got a few ideas. I didn't see anybody mixing the meat like we do. Diced sweet peppers, onions, a couple TBS of sweet relish, fresh crushed garlic, salt, pepper, chilli pepper seeds, 1 egg, 1/4 cup Panko, lots of grated cheddar, and some Lea & Perrins. Let that sit in the fridge overnight and make up the shells tomorrow.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just mixed up a batch of meat for my first try at smoked shotgun shells. Looked at a couple of YouTube videos and got a few ideas. I didn't see anybody mixing the meat like we do. Diced sweet peppers, onions, a couple TBS of sweet relish, fresh crushed garlic, salt, pepper, chilli pepper seeds, 1 egg, 1/4 cup Panko, lots of grated cheddar, and some Lea & Perrins. Let that sit in the fridge overnight and make up the shells tomorrow.

I expect a full report on my desk Monday morning, soldier!

The panko item - I just started using pure rolled oats as my moisture keeper where it used to be bread crumbs. Faaaaawk yeah buddy

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I expect a full report on my desk Monday morning, soldier!

The panko item - I just started using pure rolled oats as my moisture keeper where it used to be bread crumbs. Faaaaawk yeah buddy
I have gone from bread crumbs, Paulines crackers, rolled oats, and now it is Panko for the moisture absorber.

With any luck, the report will be posted sometime tomorrow or the latest, early Sunday morning. They are for appetizers for happy hour tomorrow with a couple of great neighbours.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A little trouble with the Pit Boss today. The auger has been acting up and temp control seems to be a problem. I will have to take it apart and see what's going on.

Besides that, the Shotgun Shells were a hit at happy hour today. Had to finish in the oven at 350 degrees for half an hour. Used two dipping sauces; sweet chilli chai and a homemade honey mustard and a side of sliced mini garlic dills.

We have enough left over for supper and I will definitely be doing these again.
IMG_6826.jpeg
IMG_6827.jpeg
IMG_6828.jpeg
IMG_6829.jpeg

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What model pitboss? There are a couple controller options out now that you can replace the original with and it makes it a whole new machine.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What model pitboss? There are a couple controller options out now that you can replace the original with and it makes it a whole new machine.
I just got off the phone regarding my unit. From the sound of what's going on, the technician was quick to point out that in his experience, it is the auger motor that has some plastic gears stripped. It is being shipped from the Edmonton warehouse and it is on warranty.

Sure nice to talk to someone speaking good English and very efficient with the warranty process.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys .. they tasted pretty good. Litte spicy. But they were pretty dry. Shells were a bit crunchy in places. You gurus have any tips?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone regarding my unit. From the sound of what's going on, the technician was quick to point out that in his experience, it is the auger motor that has some plastic gears stripped. It is being shipped from the Edmonton warehouse and it is on warranty.

Sure nice to talk to someone speaking good English and very efficient with the warranty process.
What was the issue? I had one that would constantly start to burn back down the tube when turned off or turned down from hot.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What was the issue? I had one that would constantly start to burn back down the tube when turned off or turned down from hot.
Like I said above, the technician on the phone thought it was the auger motor. It would make funny, grinding noises and there was also a pellet feeding issue. There would be too many pellets and the temperature would go to 500 degrees. IMHO, it was dangerous to leave and just allow the grill to work.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ok guys .. they tasted pretty good. Litte spicy. But they were pretty dry. Shells were a bit crunchy in places. You gurus have any tips?
I'm not an expert Mike as I have only done these things once. Pistonbroke may have a little more experience and chime in.
It appears that you use a "ribbed" thicker tube pasta called rigatoni or penne.

I used cannelloni or manicotti. They are quite thin. I noticed some crunchy spots when they were not quite done and also where the bacon didn't cover the pasta.
What did you use for spices?

Top Bottom