Baofeng Radios

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing Baofeng radio ads here, do lots of you ride with a radio? If so are they good ones to ride with?
I've never ridden with a radio before.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought 3 from RGM, who’s on here. We definitely like using them, I can help my wife through the radio on some technical riding (she’s not that technical yet), or if I lose sight of my son. It’s just another tool to have that keeps everyone in communication, without yelling.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought 3 from RGM, who’s on here. We definitely like using them, I can help my wife through the radio on some technical riding (she’s not that technical yet), or if I lose sight of my son. It’s just another tool to have that keeps everyone in communication, without yelling.

Great idea, 90% of the time I ride with just my wife.
Is a 2 km range reasonable to expect.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea, 90% of the time I ride with just my wife.
Is a 2 km range reasonable to expect.
With the long antenna and good line of site I've gotten 50km range. We were on Frisby, talking to friends in Keystone. Last ride we were able to communicate valley to valley with a full mountain between. We ride with some who seem to hate communicating but they have been invaluable many times.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to keep them as compact as possible.
Wife and I would never be more than a couple Kms apart when riding.
We both carry an Inreach as well.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are great. Usually you can get them programmed with all the logging roads and search and rescue and all that fun stuff

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use caution where you buy radios from!!!!! Most radios on Amazon are now "locked" to a smaller frequency range. Buy from a source like RGM--or some one that will supply you with an unlocked radio. 136 to 174mhz VHF & 400 to 520 mhz UHF.
You can unlock them....

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They would even be handy around the farm.
I went through every baofeng radio they make, I used to stock around 200 radios for the last 8 years. I never advertise and for some reason this last week everyone wants one, i might have 4 odd ball handhelds right now. You can have a couple of them to try out. Mostly truckers and pipeline guys buy them from me. To everyone else no i do not sell radios. But if you want advise on a radio i will help you out, i have probably bought it and tested it out.

Last edited:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two years of use on ours they seem aok pre programmed from vendor on here. Almost too good keep picking up goofs on the ski hill talking about the lattes they have planned for lunch.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people buy the BCA radios, the older ones and the newer ones. They have limited knowledge of radios, the baofeng radios will communicate with these radios. But boy trying to explain to people how to set the channels to do this is challenging. I usually print them off a paper to explain it, it may as well be in latin. So i only put the basic ones that come preprogrammed with the bca now and a few more.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA to baofeng radio simplified.. hopefully.

Attachments

• BCA.jpeg
    BCA.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 149

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great little radios. If you plan on getting one make sure to get the better water proof one and if your going to use a external mike make sure it is waterproof as well.. I learned this lesson the hard way when i was using them on a job site in the rain...

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great little radios. If you plan on getting one make sure to get the better water proof one and if your going to use a external mike make sure it is waterproof as well.. I learned this lesson the hard way when i was using them on a job site in the rain...
All the waterproof ones do not put out the wattage advertised.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of theses radios for a few years. Just sit on the shelf. I guess mainly cuz I'm not sure what channels to use. Is there a list somewhere and does everyone using them have to be licensed? If so what is the process?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of theses radios for a few years. Just sit on the shelf. I guess mainly cuz I'm not sure what channels to use. Is there a list somewhere and does everyone using them have to be licensed? If so what is the process?
What do you want to use them for? We are under a government that can't even run the CRA. And there is a radio section geek gabb gps and radio.

Top Bottom