Baofeng radios

Greg5658

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're headed west and my radio decided to crap out on me, where in Calgary can I pick up a baofeng handheld? Or really anywhere near the trans Canada in western Canada

RideMud

Reaction score
Brian Cavanaugh sells them. Look him up and he should be able to help.
Russ Brochu sells them as well. He's around Edmonton area.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or go to Bearcomm in Red Deer and buy a Kenwood. Ask for the snowmobile channels, as they have sold and programmed hundreds. Way more expensive, but a far superior radio in my opinion.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or go to Bearcomm in Red Deer and buy a Kenwood. Ask for the snowmobile channels, as they have sold and programmed hundreds. Way more expensive, but a far superior radio in my opinion.
Wouldn't a normal retailer need to see your radio license to sell it to you?

Greg5658

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree they're far superior but for the 3 days a year I spend in the mountains it's a bit tough to justify.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After my Baofeng died, I got and Icom hand held and it is light years better.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After my Baofeng died, I got and Icom hand held and it is light years better.
I have both, been using Icom for years and bought a couple Baofeng a couple years back because they are cheap as borscht to buy and i needed a couple extra radio's. For use though the Baofeng feels like its made by Fisherprice, wouldn't rely on them on an expedition but to toy around on sleds for the day they're ok.
I generally pack my Icom in the back country but will take a Baofeng with a group ride for simple ease, everyone seem to have them.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I ain't no radio head. But I also know there are different Baofeng radios. Some I have seen are the really cheap type and look the part. The ones Ray sells are motorola like, perform well and last a long time. I have had a pair the better part of 7-8 years, its fallen on my trailer floor, been dropped, frozen hundreds of times and always works. Plus he programs perfectly. Just make sure you get a mic sock and possibly a spare mic if several radios in your group.
My .02

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never used radios in my 30 years of mountain riding, but now all my buds have them and putting pressure on me to get one or I borrow a spare one. I was going to pull the trigger on a Baofeng but now got me thinking of something else because of reliably issues ????

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The UV-82HP with the Btech mics are the Baofeng I use in group rides. They work plenty fine for sledders, but as I stated its not an Icom in quality or performance but also not the price of the Icom. I got these for under $50cad shipped from US couple years ago as spares when I have guess riders with out radios. My Icom pushed the $500+ each though 100% submersible, float's and nearly indestructible as they are crush rated and drop rated. Built from military grade plastics and circuit board.
Plus, with my Icom I can communicate directly with any RCMP or SARs monitoring the emergency frequency including any ship to shore emergency band with one button.
I believe Baofeng can be setup to do the same but not as simple as pushing that one special emergency only button.
Realistically the Baofeng is plenty for sledders and their use, you can always buy 2 for backup...they are cheap enough and work good for the intended use.

Attachments

• IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    468.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The UV-82HP with the Btech mics are the Baofeng I use in group rides. They work plenty fine for sledders, but as I stated its not an Icom in quality or performance but also not the price of the Icom. I got these for under $50cad shipped from US couple years ago as spares when I have guess riders with out radios. My Icom pushed the $500+ each though 100% submersible, float's and nearly indestructible as they are crush rated and drop rated. Built from military grade plastics and circuit board.
Plus, with my Icom I can communicate directly with any RCMP or SARs monitoring the emergency frequency including any ship to shore emergency band with one button.
I believe Baofeng can be setup to do the same but not as simple as pushing that one special emergency only button.
Realistically the Baofeng is plenty for sledders and their use, you can always buy 2 for backup...they are cheap enough and work good for the intended use.
My Icom also has all the road channels which is nice for the logging/oil patch roads

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to sell the Btech mics, they were ok but not great, lots of problems. The BCI mics I now sell have had almost no issues especially used with the cover. There is no way you can push one button and call the cops. Cops are all mostly digital now. SAR does not monitor any frequency unless out on a call.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our big group has all switched to Beofengs of various models. Only issues we have is the UV-82's seem to get their dual "push to talk" buttons pressed a lot while in backpacks and the other models often are found with their LED lights on due to that button accidentally getting pressed. With the UV-82's you also need to be very careful as the dual watch feature (monitoring 2 frequencies at same time) has caused us issues as they would default to the last frequency and the software was not letting us over-ride it with making one channel priority. We have now out-smarted the radio with unique programming to listen to 2 channels but only transmit on the one. Some antennas are better than others too. You might get something that works great on UHF but sucks on VHF for example. This last cold snap has caused some of of radios to shut down, but only for the guys who had their radios strapped externally to their packs. Over-sized batteries are always a good upgrade. I like the TTY waterproof microphones.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone still uses these radios. Maybe 10% of them don't have issues (if purchased through a decent dealer) at best. I get that they are super cheap, but I consider my radio one of my survival tools. We seem to end up with stray riders, or end up helping groups find their way out of a zone and it always seem to be a couple with BF radios that are absolutely crap. They maybe ok if your group rides with in a tight distance or on the trail.

I know there are a bunch of people on here that brag them up and are going to start with the name calling and bla bla bla. BUT, let me ask you this? Would you run a Baofeng beacon if they made one for $100.00? Good things aren't cheap, and cheap things aren't good.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone still uses these radios. Maybe 10% of them don't have issues (if purchased through a decent dealer) at best. I get that they are super cheap, but I consider my radio one of my survival tools. We seem to end up with stray riders, or end up helping groups find their way out of a zone and it always seem to be a couple with BF radios that are absolutely crap. They maybe ok if your group rides with in a tight distance or on the trail.

I know there are a bunch of people on here that brag them up and are going to start with the name calling and bla bla bla. BUT, let me ask you this? Would you run a Baofeng beacon if they made one for $100.00? Good things aren't cheap, and cheap things aren't good.
Because we run 2 radios. A Baofeng on avy pack and a Garmin rino on the sled. One is for easy communication at great distances and the second for tracking a lost buddy and secondary emergency communication. And several run with the Inreach and we all have cell phones.

I think we have it covered pretty good and have very little issues.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't calling you out, Im just stating that BF radios are not good sledding radios. There are ton of new riders that get all their info from this site and end up with S%$T radios because people brag them up. They are a cheap radio, but not a good radio.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't calling you out, Im just stating that BF radios are not good sledding radios. There are ton of new riders that get all their info from this site and end up with S%$T radios because people brag them up. They are a cheap radio, but not a good radio.
Baofeng probably make 50 different models. Some are cheap like the uv5r. There are many tour operators that use the package I sell because they work. CKMP bought a bunch last year and more this season. Do you really think they would buy more if they were crap?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. I'm calling them crap, because of my experience with them. Again, out of every group there always seems to some that are only working one way, constant feedback through other radios, not working at all. They are a cheap radio period. Would YOU run a Beofeng beacon?

Top Bottom