baofeng picking up helis or?

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Commercial user on the other end of that radio could be a Crane Operator at the Dam communicating via what he thinks is a secure frequency they have licensed with the CRTC..

5W Baofengs i don't think anyone has got any grief - they are illegal in Canada.. Anything over 2W, your not allowed to be able to just choose channels and you have to have a license..

Mines, Forestry, Construction, Oilfield - we all register and purchase the rights to a channel..

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ALL day today, my radio silent.....just our calls through. no heli skiers around either

And to those who saying that maybe its a crane opperator, or trucker or something. That would be all good, but there are SIX radios on the same damn channel and mine is the only one picking up the stattic. thats what I wana know... why is mine annoying as duck when everyone elses same radio was fine?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
126.700. I don’t think the beaofangs can get into that range though. I maybe wrong as I use yaesu. I can’t transmit on that channel but I can listen.

The Baofeng don't do air band but most heli co also have a company frequency that is not air band.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my new radio, from Ray here, Maybe he will see too, But today, running 159.900 my radio constantly going off with static. BUT, everyone else, using 82's and the 5R were not having this issue. There was a chopper flying around all day tho, with heliskiiers. Once it left for the afternoon, my radio became silent. Just proper calls through. I tried squealch, 0,1,2,3,4 etc.. No avail. I'm pretty sertian few days ago it was doing it too and we could hear a heli every once in a while.
I know sometime high power radios can 'blast through" onto other frequencies at times. How can I solve this? It was really annoying. Going off every couple minutes for a few minutes. Click mike sometimes solve for 5 seconds maybe more

Yeah. I have been chasing this issue for a while I have had 5 radios (all 82hp) for years. They are well used over the years of sledding and dirtbikes. Often passed them out to my riding groups or my kids.

Been noticing the static bursts for a while. But since I had 5 radios and about 10 mic’s, I couldn’t trace what component was causing the problem. The problem never seamed to be consistent on the same person/radio/mic. Those 5 radios are all different colours. One day it would be the red one, Maybe the blue one an another day. So I figured maybe it was from a ****ty mic or low battery or old radios.??? Don’t know! Usually carried at least one extra radio, if we had a problem one, we would switch the radio or change the mic and the problem likely would disappear for the day.

My Old radios are not the ray specials, but I ordered a fresh Ray package to start this year.

So Using my fresh set up as my personal unit this year. New mic quit working first trip. So Got a new model of replacement mic’s for all units.

Last trip a buddy has the same radio but not from ray. He only had the basic 22 frs Channels programmed. So day 1 we try FRS 14.

My fresh radio set up was constant static bursts the whole day! But only my radio. Busy day during Christmas break in mcbride. Next day we figured out how to get buddies radio onto a higher VHF Chanel and no static for the next few days on any radio.

To sum up this long story with my uneducated guess...

The radio is opening the Channel to a weak signal or cross over from another similar frequency. Best guess to why it’s one radio and not all... China quality?? Or some weird tech reason over my
Head.

Question for any actual radio techs?

I believe the squelch adjusts when the radio opens the Chanel. Does adjusting the squelch through the menu and keypad adjust on all channels or is this better done through chirp and program cable. Is setting 1 the most sensitive? Can adjust 1-9. Shatty generic manual says start at 5. I think my Ray radio came programmed at 2?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The squelch setting I send out are what Milkor recommends. For those that are unfamiliar to how the baofeng squelch setting work there are 64 squelch levels that you can program into 9 squelch settings. That can only be done in chirp. You can select one of the 9 settings with menu 0.

Invalid Zero

Reaction score
I've had this issue come up now and then also. We usually just get the group to all switch up or down a channel and it seems to go away.

On my last trip it started doing it in my duramax, so before getting everyone to change channel I just started waving the radio around the cab. If I had the radio on the center arm rest I'd get static, that would change pitch with engine RPMs. If I touched the antenna on the dash or just kept the radio on the dash, no more static. Weird.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets put it this way, i doubt any of the truck drivers have a license and we are talking hundreds of them, taxi drivers i doubt any of them either, police officers no license either. So they would have to fine the entire country and put everyone out of work ....ya right. But i am sure if people started yapping on say fire and rescue channels and some of the UHF they would exercise those laws. I still think there is a reason baofeng sends their radios preset with the squelch settings so close, and that reason is not a good one.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing if they hear you transmitting while you’re out sledding they will be able to figure out which hill you’re on and a number of the people names in the group. Shouldn’t be to hard from there to find you.

on of the radios in my group might be having the same issue. I think I’ll try to reprogram I and adjust the squelch like mentioned above.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baofeng Radios are illegal in Canada, regardless of freq you choose.

Any programmable radios are to be setup by a dealer and only with open channels RR, Ladd for example and the rest of the frequencies are secure unless you have a license.
That’s why you see a lot of Road or mine signs they changed to RR, Ladd or a named road so people can’t just jump on to the channel.

Likely a short in the mic that makes it Q. Swap Mic’s on the radio and try.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Any programmable radios are to be setup by a dealer and only with open channels RR, Ladd for example and the rest of the frequencies are secure unless you have a license.
That’s why you see a lot of Road or mine signs they changed to RR, Ladd or a named road so people can’t just jump on to the channel.

The switch to RR channels had nothing to do with licensing. Also they are not 'open' channels you still need a radio license to legally operate on them.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's not the mic. If only it was that easy, the FM Rx, or the second chan, none of those. Odd, yet annoying as hell

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not the mic. If only it was that easy, the FM Rx, or the second chan, none of those. Odd, yet annoying as hell

These things probably have a production cost of $3.

Think of all the hands they go through on the way to you and everyone is getting a cut. Bound to be a glitchy one here and there.

Maybe the interference is coming from your sled? Trade radios with a buddy for a while and see what happens.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets put it this way, i doubt any of the truck drivers have a license and we are talking hundreds of them, taxi drivers i doubt any of them either, police officers no license either. So they would have to fine the entire country and put everyone out of work ....ya right. But i am sure if people started yapping on say fire and rescue channels and some of the UHF they would exercise those laws. I still think there is a reason baofeng sends their radios preset with the squelch settings so close, and that reason is not a good one.

They do monitor it and go after groups that are using a licensed channel. Group of New Zealand riggers rolled into town for a couple of months, they were using unlicensed radios on a licensed channel. Industry Canada phoned our company asking for our channel that we use. They soon found the group and fined them. I never did hear what the fine was. They spent some significant time searching for these guys too. Don't kid yourself, if you find that you are on a channel that is being used by others I suggest finding a new channel immediately.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do you ride a Polaris by any chance? I do and also ride with the BCA rep. that rides Polaris. Myself with 2 different Baofeng radios and both were experiencing the noise interference when I was riding. So I ask my buddy and he tells me they have had some complaints about interference with the BCA radios but mostly from guys who ride Polaris. So I check my spark plug caps and both seem good. A few more rides and being further annoyed, decide to change my plugs. What do you know, the interference is suddenly gone. Prior to this I also increased the squelch levels but it did not help.

Top Bottom