baofeng picking up helis or?

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my new radio, from Ray here, Maybe he will see too, But today, running 159.900 my radio constantly going off with static. BUT, everyone else, using 82's and the 5R were not having this issue. There was a chopper flying around all day tho, with heliskiiers. Once it left for the afternoon, my radio became silent. Just proper calls through. I tried squealch, 0,1,2,3,4 etc.. No avail. I'm pretty sertian few days ago it was doing it too and we could hear a heli every once in a while.
I know sometime high power radios can 'blast through" onto other frequencies at times. How can I solve this? It was really annoying. Going off every couple minutes for a few minutes. Click mike sometimes solve for 5 seconds maybe more

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
159.900 is a commercial vhf frequency. Where were you riding? That frequency is used by a few different logging companies in BC according to Google.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did you come up with that frequency? I sure hope you didn’t just pick something random. I believe Rays programming gives you an option for about 26 VHF frequencies. You should pick one of those unless you know what you are doing. If a person ever randomly picks and uses an emergency responder or other channel there could be bad things, very bad things... like suck the fun out of a clown bad things.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, that might explain it, but I am in Sicamous, not PG.. Wasn't me that picked that Freq. A farmer friend from Ab uses that Freq.
And I do belive it was doing the same thing when we were on FRS7 and there was helis near by.

Last edited:

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And not everyone has a radio with Rays channels. But everyone can type in a freq into a Baeo. no way to know what freq im on when I am in Channel mode so others can use it in Freq mode

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But that still doesn't explain why my radio, out of all 6 of us in the group with the same radios. Mine was the only one locking onto static.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have two channels. Maybe your second one was different than everyone else and picking up the static. I have left my second channel on ladd1 before and picked up truckers from crazy distances. Lots of static if they aren't coming through clear.

Reactions: RGM

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at the frequency range of the M7. M7.jpg

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And not everyone has a radio with Rays channels. But everyone can type in a freq into a Baeo. no way to know what freq im on when I am in Channel mode so others can use it in Freq mode
Ray has a list that shows what frequency the programmed channels are, so other none programmed radios can dial to your frequency.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have two channels. Maybe your second one was different than everyone else and picking up the static. I have left my second channel on ladd1 before and picked up truckers from crazy distances. Lots of static if they aren't coming through clear.

Both set the same and still did it

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few reason you can pick up static. The least obvious one is that you have pressed the F button on the side and it is picking up or tying to pickup a FM commercial radio station, press F again to turn off or turn radio off and back on.. The more obvious one is that channel A is picking up a distance signal change the A channel to the same as the B channel to fix.

If you want to know the frequency of the channel you are on you can change the display to show either channel #, channel name or frequency for both the A or B channel which can be set independent of the the other. So setting both channels to same # and using menu 21 and change to frequency display will show you what frequency the bottom channel is. The channel # is always displayed in small # on the far right when in channel mode

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few reason you can pick up static. The least obvious one is that you have pressed the F button on the side and it is picking up or tying to pickup a FM commercial radio station, press F again to turn off or turn radio off and back on.. The more obvious one is that channel A is picking up a distance signal change the A channel to the same as the B channel to fix.

If you want to know the frequency of the channel you are on you can change the display to show either channel #, channel name or frequency for both the A or B channel which can be set independent of the the other. So setting both channels to same # and using menu 21 and change to frequency display will show you what frequency the bottom channel is. The channel # is always displayed in small # on the far right when in channel mode

Thx on the menu 21 tip.
But also a negative on the FM, or second channel. I made sure FM was off. And i changed both a and b to same channel and only my radio was doing it. Still could talk and hear others. And when I click mic, it would stop for sometimes minutes, other times a few seconds.
Like i said earlier, once the Heli drops were done for the day at EP, the static and clicks stopped

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
159.900 shouldn't be getting used anywhere near us as it's licensed to users in PG and West of PG. I was with Bandit and can attest only his radio was doing it even though we were all on the same channel. It did kind of seem like someone using a channel close in frequency could have been overpowering it but still strange only he picked it up as a couple others had the same radio and long antenna.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a programming cable try the recommended squelch levels i posted earlier supplied by miklor. It will not be able to overcome a radio that has a filtering problem though.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe a beacon signal / cell phone in pack/pocket could be interfering chinese knock off spark plugs ??

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did you come up with that frequency? I sure hope you didn’t just pick something random. I believe Rays programming gives you an option for about 26 VHF frequencies. You should pick one of those unless you know what you are doing. If a person ever randomly picks and uses an emergency responder or other channel there could be bad things, very bad things... like suck the fun out of a clown bad things.

What things could happen?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best to pick the frequency those helicopters are on... looking for the guys riding in the caribou closures, that way less bad things will happen.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom