Baofeng audio quality

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we have our crew all on Baofengs now but we're finding some people are really hard to understand, especially the ladies. I suspect speaker mic quality is the issue. Radios were sourced from various places. Apparently l am one of the easiest to make out. My setup came from Roy at Baofeng Canada.

Any specific speaker mic that people can reccomend or maybe even radio settings?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, the remote mic sucks. A better one would be great.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Kenwood KMC21 is the best all around mic I have ran. There are some others I have sourced that are cheaper and sound good and some better than the KMC21 as well but you pay a premium for them.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only have sound quality issues with the cheap azz remote mic

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Baofang remote mics, is there a way to disable the buttons, especially the transmit button that are located on the radio itself while using the remote? Because if I pack the rack in my backpack, if something inside presses on it it can go into transmit without me knowing.

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have run into similar issues but only with ones that were not purchased from Roy. 3 of us are on 4 years with ours from Roy, no issues. And some others in our group with ones off Amazon, Ebay, or other places seem to have none stop issues wether that's with the unit itself or the mic's.

Reactions: RGM

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decent radios, unfortunately Bao and Quality are a long ways apart..

My kenwood just had a piece come loose inside so need a new one, held up a couple seasons..

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Baofang remote mics, is there a way to disable the buttons, especially the transmit button that are located on the radio itself while using the remote? Because if I pack the rack in my backpack, if something inside presses on it it can go into transmit without me knowing.

You cannot disable the side buttons. Put your radio in a tupperware

87440695_1350998495101360_4705655285774024704_o.jpg

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of mic options out there. I have tested quite a few and have had very good luck with the BCI I sell. I think if I was selling a $140 kenwood mic I wouldn't be selling many radios. Mic covers help a lot.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's asking too much to understand women lol.

Some of the mics definitely look a little on the chintzy side. It just seems you never know what you're going to get from batch to batch in these knock off parts.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best Mic I've had for my UV-5R's over the 5+ years with them has been the kenwood mic. Tried the boafeng and retevis cheap ones ($avg 5-10/ea) and they are pretty bad, gotta have some proper radio mic experience on how to talk into them (ie how loud to speak, not talking thru a balaclava, how far away from your face the mic is, and make sure the person talking into the mic is talking into it and not away from it). Heard good things about the Radioddity RS22, going to give it a try and will reply back to this thread when I have some info to pass along.
https://www.amazon.ca/Radioddity-Sp...words=baofeng+radio+mic&qid=1582561887&sr=8-5

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI anyone looking the Kenwood mic’s ARE NOT $140.

Last ones I bought were $45. I see they are listed upwards of $65 but a quick search they can still be found for $45.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could have Kenwood put on my mic's too still wouldn't be a kenwood. All mics for Baofeng take the kenwood type plug.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im using the BCI and are satisfied with the clarity and quality with my UV-82 from Ray. My 2 other radios UV-5R+ are using the BTECH QHM22 and the BCI is a little better at full volume.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could have Kenwood put on my mic's too still wouldn't be a kenwood. All mics for Baofeng take the kenwood type plug.

When you buy them right from Kenwood, trust me it’s a Kenwood.

But you do you.

Eastcoastdan

Reaction score
Best Mic I've had for my UV-5R's over the 5+ years with them has been the kenwood mic. Tried the boafeng and retevis cheap ones ($avg 5-10/ea) and they are pretty bad, gotta have some proper radio mic experience on how to talk into them (ie how loud to speak, not talking thru a balaclava, how far away from your face the mic is, and make sure the person talking into the mic is talking into it and not away from it). Heard good things about the Radioddity RS22, going to give it a try and will reply back to this thread when I have some info to pass along.
https://www.amazon.ca/Radioddity-Sp...words=baofeng+radio+mic&qid=1582561887&sr=8-5

Hit or miss with these I think. I tried it, didn't last long. Bought a Kenwood and been happy ever since.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's asking too much to understand women lol.

Some of the mics definitely look a little on the chintzy side. It just seems you never know what you're going to get from batch to batch in these knock off parts.

I just have trouble understanding the one that sleds with us, it she sounds like she is underwater, and has since the get go. I have that extra radio now, maybe we try switching out mics this weekend if we head out.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just have trouble understanding the one that sleds with us, it she sounds like she is underwater, and has since the get go. I have that extra radio now, maybe we try switching out mics this weekend if we head out.

We need to get a handle on this. l have a spare 'good' mic. We will give it to Charlie Brown's teacher and see if it works better.

Top Bottom