Bad roads cost Canadians $3 billion annually

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No disrespect, I was actually referring to Albertas lack of road maintenance. I actually think BC roads are far superior. That new black top from a BC border on the TCH west of jasper is mint.
That was the first time I seen a setup like that, it milled and resurfaced at the sametime. Very efficient setup.

Hot in place recycling. That was a test run for BC and I would say it passed with flying colours that must have been 10 years ago now and still in great shape. Was very fast and efficient also.

One thing BC has over Alberta in most parts is better base material to build with. Rock and sand. Gravel on clay is very susceptible to frost and heaving....as we know very well.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hot in place recycling. That was a test run for BC and I would say it passed with flying colours that must have been 10 years ago now and still in great shape. Was very fast and efficient also.

One thing BC has over Alberta in most parts is better base material to build with. Rock and sand. Gravel on clay is very susceptible to frost and heaving....as we know very well.

Or maybe they have people who know how to actually pave in B.C? I can't remember the last time I was only a new paved road that was actually smooth. Seams and bumps everywhere.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish it only costed me a few hundred bucks from these god awful roads. Broke 2 leafs a few weeks ago on one trailer, usually about one tire/rim a year on a trailer. Don't want to know how much it's costing in the long term on everything. If the government was actually going to fix them all properly and spend wisely (not hiring their buddies with huge kickbacks, stupid silver balls, etc) I would gladly have taxes go up even $1000's a year to get the roads fixed.

The only way they are ever going to take fixing the roads seriously is a serious accident. Been saying it for years, the south/west leg of the henday it's only a matter of time before a tractor trailer looses control because it's so fawking rough and causes a huge accident. I bet they will fix that chit quick then.

It's partly the government being cheap, partly the engineers designing it for california or simply not having a fawking clue what they are doing, and partly the companies doing the work doing a chit job. The brand new sections of concrete on the south/west henday stretch are garbage too, and where from day 1. Whoever chose to keep using concrete should do everyone who drives that road a favor and go lay on the road in rush hour and use their body to make it smoother.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish it only costed me a few hundred bucks from these god awful roads. Broke 2 leafs a few weeks ago on one trailer, usually about one tire/rim a year on a trailer. Don't want to know how much it's costing in the long term on everything. If the government was actually going to fix them all properly and spend wisely (not hiring their buddies with huge kickbacks, stupid silver balls, etc) I would gladly have taxes go up even $1000's a year to get the roads fixed.

The only way they are ever going to take fixing the roads seriously is a serious accident. Been saying it for years, the south/west leg of the henday it's only a matter of time before a tractor trailer looses control because it's so fawking rough and causes a huge accident. I bet they will fix that chit quick then.

It's partly the government being cheap, partly the engineers designing it for california or simply not having a fawking clue what they are doing, and partly the companies doing the work doing a chit job. The brand new sections of concrete on the south/west henday stretch are garbage too, and where from day 1. Whoever chose to keep using concrete should do everyone who drives that road a favor and go lay on the road in rush hour and use their body to make it smoother.

The southwest leg of the heyday is getting a 110 million dollar overhaul. Currently ongoing.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad there wasn't a consultant type person on site to oversee some of these road construction projects. Oil companies have proven time and time again that paying a consultant a $1500 day rate saves them money on every project.

This person should have enough authority to ask for the removal of dogf@cker workers, fire incompetent contractors, force contractors to repair shoddy work on their own dime, and have the balls to tell the government engineers to go f@ck themselves when they're asking for something stupid.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TC highway west of golden is BAD. Think I saw a guy pulled over with a snapped off piece on his bumper pull. You'll wanna slow down a lot for those red markers.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No disrespect, I was actually referring to Albertas lack of road maintenance. I actually think BC roads are far superior. That new black top from a BC border on the TCH west of jasper is mint.
That was the first time I seen a setup like that, it milled and resurfaced at the sametime. Very efficient setup.

Are you talking about the #1 or #16?

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the #1 or #16?

Highway 16. Is been awhile since ive been on highway one in BC.
I think that stretch of highway 16 was paved during the summer of 2017 I think. I was coming from the okanagan when we seen them resurfacing the road.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
All i gotta say is come to Saskatchewan then tell me about how bad your roads are... Coming from someone who builds roads for a living.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can thank our federal govt for the crap roads in southern AB. When you don’t give a **** about western Canada, give free reign, and allow rail companies to only concentrate on the lines that they make the most profit from, they remove all the spur lines that they don’t want. Most of the grain in western Canada is hauled way to far on roads when it should’ve been already on rail. Add on top of the O&G traffic, and we have too much heavy traffic on infrastructure that was built so long in the past that the builders would cringe at the sight of what state it’s in today.

Top Bottom