back way into Renshaw

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trent from Elk Island Sales try it a few years back.
And how did it go? Did he get lost or not find the right trail in, was it too much of a ride? Probably not for Trent I rode with him before and he`s a good rider.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kakwa way is going in from the north east Alberta side.
I never been that way but I don't think that is the way you are looking for.
I have also heard of the way you are talking about but I have only heard about it.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been in the back way into renshaw, you have to know where you are going. you take the road for so far then turn off onto a cutline, for about 10km then up through the trees and follow the creek, only for good riders. it gets steep and deep back there.only been in there once so not to sure on directions.
we went back in there looking for the lost trapper that lives on the road in

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your probally thinking of the trail up the Chelco FSR and then up the waterfall. I have heard of it but not lately. Lots use that way still. Maybe they will post

Reaction score
Yeh thats the one up the chelco creek, haven't been up they way for 2 years. You have to wait tell there is a good amount of snow to climb up the waterfall at the end of the trail. Most of the time its easier just to wait until it avalanches and fills in.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought that was the holmes river way, if that is the one that you are talking about. it is kinda a hellish ride lots of willow to go through and it is about 25-28 km non-groomed and yes the part that you poke up into the alpine is very steep and deep. i would rather take the groomed way, even if it is pounded out.
just my 2 cents.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought that was the holmes river way, if that is the one that you are talking about. it is kinda a hellish ride lots of willow to go through and it is about 25-28 km non-groomed and yes the part that you poke up into the alpine is very steep and deep. i would rather take the groomed way, even if it is pounded out.
just my 2 cents.

I think it is the Holmes he means. The waterfall can be a challenge to get up at times. Then coming down....yikes. The only place I've seen as outta control was the switchback on the Allen Creek trail a few years ago, when there was a launch pad built at the bottom.:eek::D

Buster

Reaction score
I think Trent tried it from the renshaw side to kakuwa but there was gas issues.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're talking about Holmes River/Chalco Creek. That used to be the main way into Renshaw 25 years ago. It used to take us a whole weekend to bust up that creek to the alpine. Boy those were the days. Trail is getting overgrown with willows now and only those too cheap to pay the trail fees still go up that way. Why bother for $15 saving? If you want more details PM me.
CHeers

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But 25 years ago the sled wouldn`t even touch todays mini`s,lol. Seriously, the sled today would make it much easier, there was no 162x2x16 tracks connected to a 150-160 hp motor.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But 25 years ago the sled wouldn`t even touch todays mini`s,lol. Seriously, the sled today would make it much easier, there was no 162x2x16 tracks connected to a 150-160 hp motor.
that would be a great topic for a thread..."your first mountain trip, and the steed you rode in on"
:D

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're talking about Holmes River/Chalco Creek. That used to be the main way into Renshaw 25 years ago. It used to take us a whole weekend to bust up that creek to the alpine. Boy those were the days. Trail is getting overgrown with willows now and only those too cheap to pay the trail fees still go up that way. Why bother for $15 saving? If you want more details PM me.
CHeers

The people I know that still use that way do it because it's shorter for them to get to the back areas of renshaw from where they stay and avoids the crowds up front, not because they are too cheap. And unless the trail is already broke in and it hasn't snowed over it, the stretch up the creek and falls should only be attempted by experienced mtn riders.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode that holmes river trail a couple of years ago in the spring and it was in way better condition than the normal trail but i don't think i would attempt it in early to mid season. That creek and water fall was scary.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes , now i remember that it was the holmes creek way , we were also looking for a apex turbo that went off a cliff, the guy got choppered out but chopper wouldn't go back for sled. the guy was ok.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The people I know that still use that way do it because it's shorter for them to get to the back areas of renshaw from where they stay and avoids the crowds up front, not because they are too cheap. And unless the trail is already broke in and it hasn't snowed over it, the stretch up the creek and falls should only be attempted by experienced mtn riders.
Maybe we`ll have to take the main trail up and come out on the old trail to pack down the snow on the falls

Top Bottom