B.C. is bringing back mandatory trades certification

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
June 21, 2021 by Christine Hogg

B.C. is bringing back mandatory trades certification​

Currently the only province not requiring individuals to be certified, British Columbia is reintroducing a mandatory certification for tradespeople in order to “support higher paying and more stable jobs for workers,” CBC News reports.

The previous mandatory certification program was cancelled back in 2003.

Skilled Trades Certification means uncertified workers in selected trades will need to become certified or register as an apprentice with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) to be legally able to work in that trade. Automotive service technicians are among those affected by this announcement.

Since 2003, B.C. has been the only province in Canada with non-compulsory trades certification. This means there are currently thousands of trades workers across the province without formal recognition of their knowledge or skills levels. These uncertified workers are often paid less and have lower rates of employment stability and mobility — particularly in a challenging economy. By requiring trades workers to be either a certified journeyperson or a registered apprentice, skilled trades certification provides a pathway to:

• Significantly raise the skill level of B.C.’s existing trades workforce.
  • Ensure the province has enough skilled trades workers to meet the demands of the future economy.
  • Provide opportunities for more trades workers to benefit from post- secondary training and certification that leads to better jobs and higher wages.
B.C.’s Labour Market Outlook forecasts 73,000 trades job openings by 2029. While many of these jobs are driven by new growth, the majority will be the result of 38,000 workers retiring in the construction trades alone by 2029. Fewer youth are choosing a trades career over other professions that require a post-secondary education, due to the stigma around trades careers as blue-collar jobs that lack the prestige of more academic careers. Skills needs are also evolving, as rapid technological advancements, automation and new demands from emerging sectors like the clean economy are changing the technical “on-the-tools” skills trades workers need. Almost 80% of the job openings in B.C. over the next ten years will require some post-secondary education or training.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is governments like to refer to us as skilled laborers and heavy on the laborer. They do not even recognize it as education or there would be a spot to check for your trade degree on how much education you have. Nothing seems to change.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hate to start a chit storm, but doesn't this sound like the unions forcing the NDP to to ensure all laborers have tickets?

im not saying its a bad thing, just thinking there are other things at play here than just the NDP wanting educated workers

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hate to start a chit storm, but doesn't this sound like the unions forcing the NDP to to ensure all laborers have tickets?

im not saying its a bad thing, just thinking there are other things at play here than just the NDP wanting educated workers
Sounds exactly like what happened here in Alberta. Everyone had to get a ticket, even the life long laborers that didn't have enough care or attention to produce journeyman quality work. Now these jokers still produce the same lack luster work, if they produce any at all, and get paid the same as the journeymen that work hard and take pride in their work. If anything it made journeyman tickets less valuable.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the NDP want educated people they might want to start with the people in there party haven't seen a smart ndp politician yet

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Education my a$$ . Empowering unions is all this is gonna do.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder where the gov has been lately.. No company in my area in BC will hire you without a ticket... Don't agree with people that have been doing the same job all their life having to go out and get certified, they should be grandfathered in. Now days especially in the heavy equipment all you need to know is how to push a button everything is computerized, its quickly becoming a area where their are no real skilled operators left.. Almost the same in automotive, how many times have you seen a tech stumped as the computer will not tell him exactly what is wrong

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's funny is, I've seen multiple cases where I live that if you seen the end results between an experienced contractor or a journeyman. one would pick the non ticketed one every time. I've seen this in framing homes down to finishing.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will also help justify the increased prices everyone will have to charge as we watch our inflation sky rocket to pay for all the cash JT is giving everyone. On the news this morning, they blatantly said "Albertans will just have to get used to high gas prices" this mostly due to gas stations needing to claw back their loses over the last year. No mention of the carbon tax? FFS!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's funny is, I've seen multiple cases where I live that if you seen the end results between an experienced contractor or a journeyman. one would pick the non ticketed one every time. I've seen this in framing homes down to finishing.

Carpentry is the most useless ticket ever. If someone is boasting about having the ticket, it means that they are completely fawking useless. That is a trade that can only be taught on the jobsite hands on. If you have at least grade 4 math, you already know way more then they teach in the classroom. The saddest part is when you hear of people who struggle with the math, and all I think is how do you survive day to day if you don't know 2+2 because that is pretty much what the math is FFS.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_6142.png

Wanna take a crack at that ?

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s why you have homeowners that say - well I can get a guy for 25/hr, to which my immediate reply was always -Then thats exactly who you should hire . BTW check for a business license , compensation coverage, tax # and liability insurance. BYE BYE and good luck.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Carpentry is the most useless ticket ever. If someone is boasting about having the ticket, it means that they are completely fawking useless. That is a trade that can only be taught on the jobsite hands on. If you have at least grade 4 math, you already know way more then they teach in the classroom. The saddest part is when you hear of people who struggle with the math, and all I think is how do you survive day to day if you don't know 2+2 because that is pretty much what the math is FFS.
Cyle, putting up 2x6's for a straight wall isn't rocket science and the math isn't difficult. Stairs and railings, trusses, rafters, turrets, span tables, etc., etc. are a lot more than 2+2. I would feel quite offended if I were a certified carpenter and read what you posted.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Cyle, putting up 2x6's for a straight wall isn't rocket science and the math isn't difficult. Stairs and railings, trusses, rafters, turrets, span tables, etc., etc. are a lot more than 2+2. I would feel quite offended if I were a certified carpenter and read what you posted.
I totally concur...

Top Bottom