Avy in Fernie??

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is so sad!! Just heard about it from my Mom. That is my favorite riding area.....my heart goes out to all involved.

SLED SLUT

Reaction score
my thoughts and prayers are out for all you guys very hard thing to happen cant stop thinking about this terrible accident god bless the rescue crews and the familys my thoughts are with you god bless

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is from Global B.C.'s website. A truely sad day. God Bless all.

CREDIT: Global TV/Canwest News Service
Rescue workers

CREDIT: Keith Morison/Canwest News Service file
Rescue operation

CREDIT: Henry Georgi/Fernie Alpine Resort
Fernie

Rescuers say that no one has yet been found as avalanche experts continue their search of the backcountry of southeastern British Columbia for any sign of eight snowmobilers who went missing and are feared dead after being buried in an avalanche near Fernie Sunday.

"Time is not on their side but we have hope," said Cpl. Andy Veltmeyer at a news conference in Fernie on Monday. "We'll be searching at least until dark."

He said more than 20 people were out searching and digging in the snow.

In a news release earlier in the day, B.C. RCMP said that rescuers had flown over the avalanche zone at first light Monday "and dropped hand-held avalanche bombs onto the slope to stabilize it and prevent further avalanche activity."

Fifteen avalanche technicians were en route to the site by helicopter and snow cat to begin the search for survivors. The searchers are assisted by two RCMP police dogs and handlers trained in avalanche rescue operations, said police.

David Wilkes, the mayor of Sparwood, B.C., a small community east of Fernie, said the avalanche technicians flew in from all parts of the province to aid in the search.

Wilkes, who knew all of the men in their 20s from the small community of about 4,000 people, said they are "hoping for a miracle" but conceded there was a very slim chance they could have survived for a long night under the heavy snow.

He said they had all the equipment with them, including a device that, when the person pulls a cord, a bubble is formed, providing additional air for the person trapped in the snow. However, he said it wouldn't have protected them from the elements.

"The reality is they have been buried in the snow for upward of 24 hours and their oxygen reserves would be, if not depleted, pretty quickly depleted and it would be tough to survive this long," he said.

Wilkes spoke to one of the survivors and said he was not doing well and was taking the news of his buddies really hard.

"He's going through the 'Why me?' situation right now," he said. "They all grew up together and went to school together and some of them are related," he said. "They were all working the coal mines here and they were just out for a snowmobile, like they always do on their days off."

Of the three survivors, one remains in hospital under care, said Wilkes.

The temperature was hovering around -11 C, with high winds and snow early Monday.

RCMP describe the area as rugged terrain with a deep basin. The RCMP said family members have been notified of the "tragedy" but are not yet calling it a recovery mission.

Rescue attempts were called off late Sunday after it grew too dark and dangerous to continue in the avalanche-prone area.

A friend of the men said he's holding out hope his friends will still be found alive.

"I wish they would find the rest of them; it would be kinda nice," the unidentified man told Global News. "You know it would be an end to a good New Year and stuff. There are going to be a lot of families that are going to be really hurt."

Friends described the group as 11 young men, all from Sparwood. They had some experience in snowmobiling but were not considered veterans at the sport.

RCMP said they were all wearing avalanche beacons when they were riding together Sunday in the Flathead Valley 40 kilometres southwest of Fernie.

The group had reportedly split into two when seven of them were buried in an avalanche at about 2 p.m., said Fernie RCMP.

As the other four tried to dig them out, they were hit by another avalanche, which buried the entire group.

Police said two of the buried riders managed to dig themselves out within 20 minutes and used their avalanche beacons to locate a third man, who was rescued after another 20 minutes of digging.

Fearing a third avalanche, the three began walking out, police said. Two were picked up by a helicopter dispatched by the Provincial Emergency Program, which had been notified of the incident at about 2:30 p.m. by automated distress calls from the snowmobilers' communications devices, and taken to hospital in Fernie.

The third man was taken to hospital by the Fernie Search and Rescue personnel. All sustained minor injuries.

Only one remained in hospital overnight for observation, said Interior Health Authority spokeswoman Jennifer Henkes.

The incident occurred just two days after the Canadian Avalanche Centre issued a special avalanche warning to recreational backcountry users in B.C.'s south coast and North Shore regions for the weekend.

CAC forecaster James Floyer warned Friday that the avalanche danger in the Columbia Mountains south of Revelstoke to the U.S. border and east of the Okanagan Valley to Golden, Invermere and Cranbrook would increase quickly with significant snowfall.

The avalanche comes after a big freeze in Fernie, followed by a heavy snowfall in the past 10 days and then a thaw.

About 30 centimetres of snow fell in Fernie on Saturday night. Temperatures also rose from -30 C to O C Sunday.

The Canadian Avalanche Centre says from 1978 to 2007, an average of 11 avalanche fatalities occurred per year in Canada.

With files from the Vancouver Sun and Global News

mattthegreat

Reaction score
My condolances go out to all involved and everyone please make sure you are going out with your beacons on this weekend. Everyone ride hard and safe.

vkropodra

Reaction score
I live in Sparwood and would like to express my condolences to the families affected. Latest update is that 6 bodies have been recovered with 2 still missing. Search will continue into dark as long as there is enough light to work with and there is possible locations. I am sorry to say though, that it is beginning to snow heavily which will more than likely stop search crews until morning.

Once again my condolences go out to all affected.:(:(

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the latest news report on ABC. My condolences to the family and friends and to the community of Sparwood.

Rhoc

Reaction score
My heart is heavy with the news of the tragic events this last weekend.
I haven't prayed in years but will say one tonite.

SparkyX670

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling helpless just sitting here reading about this tragedy.I want to help do something for all those families affected.The Sledding community should step up to the plate and pitch in for expenses that will help cover funerals,etc... I don't know how to set up a fund, or maybe one is started already?Anyone out there know how to do this?We need to bring some good out of this tragedy?

bergy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart is heavy with the news of the tragic events this last weekend.
I haven't prayed in years but will say one tonite.

I have to agree with you...I haven't in years either but i will tonight and all that i ask is everyone say a prayer for all of the families affected. My condolences go out to every one of you...:(

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart is heavy also, those of us that snowmobile in the mountains consider those boys our brothers, r i p

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought and prayers to all families involved!.....:aim_sorry:
It's on eveyones mind when they go to the Mtn's for a ride....you just hope that it's the last thing you have to deal with!

Just curious bout one thing! The news said the S&R were alerted by automated equipment carried by the riders! Is there something there I don't know about? If there's such equipment available....I want to find out how to get it !!!!

God bless everyone involved in retrieving the rest of the crew... pray for their safe return !!!!!!!!

Whoever is in charge of the emoticon creations.....is it possible to get a Canadian flag @ half mast for the families involved?

THANX....
Go to findmespot.com. Got one for xmas. Everyone should have one.

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One remains missing.

story;

video;

1124302.bin

LITTLE CRAZY

Reaction score
Our deepest condolences to all persons involved in this tragic accident. God Bless to all those in the area that can search in this rescue. A prayer to the families and friends of these snowmobiliers.

snowtec

Reaction score
This is a MAJOR blow to those of us that LOVE the BIG HILLS.
What these Families must be going threw is unimaginable.
Lots of talk of beacons and other pieces of technology.
Remember if you need to use you beacons, probes, shovel, Air bags, SPOT you have made a SERIOUS mistake.
Education IS the only answer. Don't under estimate the importance of our brains.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
This is terrible, we ride with all of the proper equipment including SPOT and you always hope that you dont need to use it, my condoleces as well to the families of this tragedy.

Top Bottom