Atwood RV furnace

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with working on Atwood RV furnace.

I’m having an issue were ours ignites but doesn’t sense the flame so it shut off then tries to relight.

I haven’t pulled it apart yet but wondering if these have a flame rod that can be cleaned up!

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could also be the sail switch, the poof (if you will) from the flame igniting could trip the sail switch and shutoff the gas valve.
Thanks. I’ll check that too. But I think that would kill it instantly vs timing out after 10 seconds or so.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
There is a bad control board on the furnaces and hot water tanks of several RV units and the replacement for the control boards was bad so they have a universal one now available. The flame sensor can be cleaned with fine steel wool (not sos pad) only a few times, do not touch with fingers. If there is an electric lighter and its not lighting or it gets hot, and the gas doesn't seem to come on then it can be a board. I tested by using a bbq lighther and giving it a flame. Then would light up and then just turn off, was the control board. Got from Woodies, had to order took 3 days. RV place on Argyll that is for parts that would have in stock.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a bad control board on the furnaces and hot water tanks of several RV units and the replacement for the control boards was bad so they have a universal one now available. The flame sensor can be cleaned with fine steel wool (not sos pad) only a few times, do not touch with fingers. If there is an electric lighter and its not lighting or it gets hot, and the gas doesn't seem to come on then it can be a board. I tested by using a bbq lighther and giving it a flame. Then would light up and then just turn off, was the control board. Got from Woodies, had to order took 3 days. RV place on Argyll that is for parts that would have in stock.
Thanks for the board info. Ya mine lights then doesn’t sense the flame and times out then retries 3 times.
Would stay lit intermittently one night. Acts like a flame rod not sensing the flame.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the board info. Ya mine lights then doesn’t sense the flame and times out then retries 3 times.
Would stay lit intermittently one night. Acts like a flame rod not sensing the flame.
I had this exact issue with my furnace.

Fan would kick in, it would attempt to light, or would light for a short period then turn off, then try to light, or light for a short time...... made for some terrible sleeps.

I would up changing out the "igniter/flame sensor" and the sail switch, I think it was around $150.00 or so..... If you need RV Parts message me and I'll give you my sisters info, she's at the Dealer in the Grove.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely the board, as I dealt with the same issue last year on a 2008 unit. Did some research on RV forums an Dinosaur Electronics was the go to. Amazon.ca was $ 140.00 for the board vs the stealership $$$$$. I replaced the limit switch and electronic igniter too, as I had the unit pull out of the trailer to repair.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely the board, as I dealt with the same issue last year on a 2008 unit. Did some research on RV forums an Dinosaur Electronics was the go to. Amazon.ca was $ 140.00 for the board vs the stealership $$$$$. I replaced the limit switch and electronic igniter too, as I had the unit pull out of the trailer to repair.
👍, Mines a little newer, 2017 but ya it’s a bit of a pain to pull out so for the hassle might get a bunch of the parts.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
👍, Mines a little newer, 2017 but ya it’s a bit of a pain to pull out so for the hassle might get a bunch of the parts.
Mine is a 2016. I'm betting you have the same issue.......

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you go to all that trouble, try blowing an air hose in the exhaust outlet. Worked for mine last time it had these symptoms. Bugs love to crawl in there and make nests. I did that last instead of first. I have a spare board now.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you go to all that trouble, try blowing an air hose in the exhaust outlet. Worked for mine last time it had these symptoms. Bugs love to crawl in there and make nests. I did that last instead of first. I have a spare board now.
Thanks she is good and clean. I pulled the unit out at camp for a quick look. But never disassemble the actual furnace, as it felt like working for a bit while it was being tested on the floor.
Wasn’t too cold so figured I would look at it at home.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sail switch should be your first sensor then flame,so no ignition if sail was bad

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sail switch should be your first sensor then flame,so no ignition if sail was bad
You bet. That what was happening before I first pulled it out. Now it’s got a flame proving issue.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever this switch is I pulled the wires scratched the connections and put back together. Fixed the same problem your havin
IMG_0157.png

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever this switch is I pulled the wires scratched the connections and put back together. Fixed the same problem your havin View attachment 242703
Thanks. I think that’s the high limit. But in mine I believe that is in the pre- ignition Circuit. Don’t think Mine will even run the fan to start the purge cycle with that open.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have that furnace in a 2017 sled trailer. Little late to the conversation but the board would get moisture on it from the condensation (terrible design) anyway dinasaur board works good in it sofar but before that I would pull the board and use an eraser on the electrical path lines on the back of the board and clean them up as best I could as they were rusting a bit which shorted out the path. Could try that go gentle around the resistors on the back but that’s where my problem was

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Anyone familiar with working on Atwood RV furnace.

I’m having an issue were ours ignites but doesn’t sense the flame so it shut off then tries to relight.

I haven’t pulled it apart yet but wondering if these have a flame rod that can be cleaned up!

Have issues like that when the battery is to low in charge

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have that furnace in a 2017 sled trailer. Little late to the conversation but the board would get moisture on it from the condensation (terrible design) anyway dinasaur board works good in it sofar but before that I would pull the board and use an eraser on the electrical path lines on the back of the board and clean them up as best I could as they were rusting a bit which shorted out the path. Could try that go gentle around the resistors on the back but that’s where my problem was

you bet. Board was green and oxidized. Obviously had been wet. I was assuming it was sweat dripping off the cold water line running through the cabinet above the furnace.

But now that you mention it in sled trailer and the design… Likely the intake tube is condensating and then dripping.

Top Bottom