AOHVA Town Hall - Bighorn Backcountry Meeting March 22, 2018

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I went out with Reid from UTV canada and his brother. great company, jerry b from power merchants was here and kevin from Rapid revolutions, troy from turple brothers as well

Where were the other dealers

Where were all the young peeps. not many of them there.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to get out of the office early enough to make it. Was it a full house?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The big comment to the evening from one of the user groups is that the matter what is said this Will be rammed through by Shannon Phillips no matter what the consultation brings up which is totally wrong

He indicated that he had documents to Back this up. so both the UCP and even the government secretariat that was there will be looking into this

Y2y was brought up quite a bit
A lot of the local people that were there all their lives and generations before were quite upset at the whole NDP government in general

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I went out with Reid from UTV canada and his brother. great company, jerry b from power merchants was here and kevin from Rapid revolutions, troy from turple brothers as well

Where were the other dealers

Where were all the young peeps. not many of them there.

Troy from Turple sits on the AOHVA Board of Directors.......

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of empty chairs. I cant believe more people cant be bothered to show up. Pisses me off.

I had great intentions of coming down...... off work at 430 in Edmonton, by the time I got down there would have been late, and the anticipated weather and a 3 month old at home makes it tough..... As Ron stated, a friday night or a weekend would have been better.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this was related to the anticipated weather, and being on a work night. A saturday would of been packed

Yeah, tough to do on a work night for sure, but lots of people refuse to do stuff like this on weekends. And, the road conditions rarely stop any of us from going riding, so why should it be a factor for a town hall meeting? With the number of OHV users out there, I think it is kind of pathetic that it wasn't standing room only.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Keeping this thread active

I fill this out everyday and we need all outdoor enthusiasts on this site and further to fill it out. more the better, send this link to your buds.
https://extranet.gov.ab.ca/opinio6//s?s=39582
I recommend filling out. in all the answers i put “I don’t want the bighorn area to become a provincial park. “

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keeping this thread active

I fill this out everyday and we need all outdoor enthusiasts on this site and further to fill it out. more the better, send this link to your buds.
I recommend filling out. in all the answers i put “I don’t want the bighorn area to become a provincial park. “

This survey is extremely difficult to fill out. I have yet to get past question 1. I believe it is important to fill out the survey intelligently. By answering a blanket response to all of the answers, I think we would just demonstrating our ignorance on the subject.

For example, if you read the referenced document in question 1, it ends by saying:
These priority areas should not result in any new prohibition or regulatory burden over and above
existing requirements under the Water Act and Alberta Wetland Policy. Securement and restoration
are voluntary activities subject to the consent and participation of landowners.
On the surface it seems the RAC recommendation is to make minimal changes to land use policies. However, it is difficult to say for sure without reading and understanding the Water Act and Alberta Wetland Policy.

If the RAC's recommendation is to maintain status quo, then disagreeing would be indicating that you support a more radical transformation to the land use policy for this area.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had great intentions of coming down...... off work at 430 in Edmonton, by the time I got down there would have been late, and the anticipated weather and a 3 month old at home makes it tough..... As Ron stated, a friday night or a weekend would have been better.

It wasn't easy; wind & snow storm was brewing, chose to drive home thru the nite rather than endure even tougher conditions in the am. Got home at 3am and worked the next day. Was worth it, but can't say I blame others for not doing the same.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until we see the Draft Plan, this will be a tough study, and once that Draft Plan is released, a lot of things will happen very fast. It's important to do the survey, answer as best as you can, and put in clear and pointed comments. Economic Diversity (those communities need it), Healthy Lifestyles, Strong Communities, Balanced & Responsible Recreation, a Gov't Plan that partners with trail groups and operators (where did the Alberta Trails Pilot Project go??) .....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It wasn't easy; wind & snow storm was brewing, chose to drive home thru the nite rather than endure even tougher conditions in the am. Got home at 3am and worked the next day. Was worth it, but can't say I blame others for not doing the same.
I applaud your dedication to the cause I know you also drove to Crowsnest Pass last year for the meeting there. Good on you Jerry.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the link works, and after a second view, I recommend not to fret over the legalities and intricacies, instead we put in an few words of why we value the recreation that we have enjoyed, why it is important to so many, and why the Gov't is needed to move forward with helping multi-use recreation to work better in backcountry Alberta (the other option (CLOSURE) is plain UGLY). Together we can find practical solutions.

Top Bottom