Anything new for ice scratchers??

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for new scratchers for our RMK's.
Had Ice Storms on both sleds and just broke 3 out of the 4 this past weekend. All snapped off right at the bend.
One of the group had a skidoo with scratchers that attached to the rear tunnel/suspension bracket. IMO seemed a little far back but they spray decent snow, didn't break, and he leaves them down all the time, no worries when backing up.
So any recommendations?

sledder50

Reaction score
I saw a guy a number of seasons back in Fernie with that setup, he hooked a stump and folded his tunnel and suspension lots of damage

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
run the skidoo ones. drill a hole further forward if you need to. Pretty tough to beat those scratchers, just pretend they are a whizzy after market part.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
run the skidoo ones. drill a hole further forward if you need to. Pretty tough to beat those scratchers, just pretend they are a whizzy after market part.
Yep. Doo scratchers are the best on the market. I had them on my axis. I run them on my arctic cat high country. Even on trail sleds. I leave them down so long that they wore down short and don’t even touch the ground and all you do is replace the springs once a year

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rsi dbl coils from royal distributing- cut the flat tip of em off - bent it 90 with heat - put ice storm tip on - spot welded the tip so they will last for 500,000kms - like everything else I build - destroy it 5 times then finally in the end she's construction grade
20211230_172434.jpg

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had Ice Storms on both sleds and just broke 3 out of the 4 this past weekend. All snapped off right at the bend.
One of the group had a skidoo with scratchers that attached to the rear tunnel/suspension bracket. IMO seemed a little far back but they spray decent snow, didn't break, and he leaves them down all the time, no worries when backing up.
So any recommendations?
Weird, I love the ice storms I've had mine on so long I need to flip the feet around cause they're worn down so much. Close to 4000km on them(Obviously not down the whole time but used as needed). Have them on 3 other sleds in our group for the past 4-5 years and only have ever busted one foot off

Sicklineup

Reaction score
So any recommendations?
Installing Ibexx scratchers today. Will let you know how they work after I ride tomorrow! They look pretty good.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird, I love the ice storms I've had mine on so long I need to flip the feet around cause they're worn down so much. Close to 4000km on them(Obviously not down the whole time but used as needed). Have them on 3 other sleds in our group for the past 4-5 years and only have ever busted one foot off
Had to open my mouth, snapped one side off putting them up at home right before we left for Revy, and broke the other one before the cabin on day 1. Go Figure

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My custom rsi ones were terrible - 1 side worked good for 3 days then snapped off - other side started cutting the side of the track right outta the gates - I think I'm gonna try the non custom rsi dbl coil ones or back to the ice storms - gonna Google these ibexx ones

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cable scratchers are the best imo

Those doo ones are ok but they break off.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I went through one set of cable scratchers and hated them. No pressure on the snow after a while. If you leave them down whenever you are not riding, it helps, but they still lose pressure on the snow over time.
I have a brand new set on the wall in my shop if someone near Red Deer wants to make me an offer and come get them.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through one set and hated them. No pressure on the snow after a while. If you leave them down whenever you are not riding, it helps, but they still lose pressure on the snow over time.
I have a brand new set on the wall in my shop if someone near Red Deer wants to make me an offer and come get them.

I dont usually run scatchers because they break off and are an eye sore.

Bought a used t3. Had ski scratchers, real goony and ugly looking so i took them off. Left the cable scratchers on and are lasting, but ya maybe not that much pressure on the snow though.

If anything ill take them off and go scratcher less like usual

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And they don't throw nearly enough snow. To the original poster, Ice Storms had a bad year for breakage but found the problem and they are good again. Not sure on yours but it was about 2-3 seasons ago.

They are good for not breaking but I have yet to see a set throw any signifigant amounts of snow.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And they don't throw nearly enough snow. To the original poster, Ice Storms had a bad year for breakage but found the problem and they are good again. Not sure on yours but it was about 2-3 seasons ago.

They are good for not breaking but I have yet to see a set throw any signifigant amounts of snow.

Thanks, You convinced me. Ill take them off.

Scratchers are gay.. save a pound too probably not running them. Light weight.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, You convinced me. Ill take them off.

Scratchers are gay.. save a pound too probably not running them. Light weight.
If you are a guy who just rides after storms, I agree with you. We are not all that lucky.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are a guy who just rides after storms, I agree with you. We are not all that lucky.

I ride all conditions, t3 is only for deep days though. And my 146 doesnt need them either

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The perfect ice scratcher would:

Not break, be light, shoot snow in the front of the rails to lube the hyfax, not hang down to drag when not in use. and scratch up hard icy snow,
At the same time get that snow to the heat exchanger. A big list and likey kept some up late at night trying to build a better product.

So really there are 2 problems. First lubing the hyfax, so they don't melt, and secondly getting snow to the exchanger.

I am not sure that all sleds suffer the same way. Forward heat exchangers, rear exchangers, more wheels or less wheels.

I have often been lost in thought with how this all can be done a better way.

Top Bottom