Anyone try the new Power Bloc 80 primary clutch on an etec?

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I've heard there are a few guys out there that have been running the New Power Bloc 80 primary clutch made by CV Tech on 800 XP's and was looking for some feedback. I would like to try one on the 2011 etec.

Any thought or info would be appreciated.

jumpingjack

Reaction score
Well I finally got my hands on a Power Bloc 80 CV Tech clutch to try on the 800 etec. Although CV tech has not released a calibration setup for the 800 etec they do have a setup for the 800HO. So I bolted on the 800HO setup with 2 extra pucks installed to increase the force weight. The pucks are small flat round metal disc that you add behind the ramps. The ramps are made of some type of UHMV type of material that are the only wearable part inside other than the spring and bushing. There are no rotating parts to wear out and the ramps are only about $6 each to replace. The design is so simple and has been around for years but was never built heavy enough for todays high HP sleds until now. This Power Bloc 80 clutch is the real deal and is built with mounting holes to attach the Skidoo ring gear to the back so your electric start will still work.
I installed the power bloc on the 800 etec and instantly noticed how smoothed this clutch was. No rattle or vibration. The engagement was a little low at about 3000rpm but this didn't effect the performance at takeoff as the etec pulls hard at this lower RPM. The throttle response was great and you could instantly feel the power going to the track.
I rode hard in the tree for two day without touching anything. The sled pulled hard and the track speed was up about 4-5kph pulling hills in about 8-10 inches of fresh snow on top of a soft base. The RPM was a little low pulling hills at 6000-6500ft so on the third day I removed one puck to increase the rpm. Now in about 1-1.5ft of fresh I was pulling a solid 7900-8000 rpm and can say I don't think my sled has ever pulled this hard.
I will be working to improve the calibration this weekend in Revy and will update everyone after.
Thanks to Turbo Al at the Sled Shed in Revy for the use of this clutch to complete testing. If anyone is interested or is in need of a primary clutch to replace there rattling TRA give Al, Pete or Kathy a call. They have more of these clutches coming and at about $600 for a complete clutch its cheaper than rebuilding your old TRA.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy replaced his primary with this clutch on his 08 800R and had real good results. The sled was noticeably quicker.

I'm surprised more people haven't done this upgrade yet. I'd say this is the number 1 upgrade to any XP, sled ran way better then stock!

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I'm running a Powerbloc 80 on my 2009 Summit 154", 800R motor. Ran great on trail, engages at 3500 RPM though (vs 4500 for the stocker) which took some getting used to. When in wet powder though, the clutch would run great for 20-30 seconds, then start losing RPMs. After 90s of riding in the wet snow I was barely hitting 6800 RPM. Letting it cool solved the problem, but riding 20-30 seconds at a time on a blue bird powder day is not acceptable. This clutch runs hotter than the stocker and loses RPM much worse. I would probably return it if I could.

sledshedrevy

Reaction score
we never saw that issue with the clutch at all .we did play a lot with changeing the primary spring out and settled on a 200/290 spring and 9 waffers .
the original springs that we saw them come with were of the old style type that were long and skinny , the problem with this style spring is that when compressed it bends in the middle and binds . happens in a ride with it .
the newer spring is a shorter fat wire design and doesnt bend and gives you consatant performance .no heat .
on xp models you have to make sure of motor alignment on the 2008 and 2009 model years . out of alignment will give you unusual results.
align those years , check the crank stub run out before installing thee clutches .
easily the most amazing clutch we have tested so far .

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a full season under our belts now with an amazing COMPLETE clutch kit from SPI. It includes a helix,prim and sec springs, 3 ramps and adjustable pins for $340.00cdn. Combined with manual style rave valves, TPI's shim kit which allows adjustment between your movable shive and belt for $50.00 i dare say its tough to find a better combination for the same dollar value. 18 kits on the snow not one complaint and not one customer with a blown belt. We are also running ALL of our stock 800 xp's that have this combination with at least a 21/45 gear ratio. No pipe,no reeds stock. Just finished up two 2012 etec's with shim kit and clutch kit both sleds are 163's started life with 19/49 gearing and after some testing with the new clutching we have taken them to 21/45 gearing with 19 grams of pin weight.So needless to say not only do these kits shift these clutches properly, but they are far more efficient to the point we can take the gear ratio from 2.57:1 up to a 2.14:1 which means HUGE gains in track speed. I've made this promise before and i'll make it again. Bring me a sled with a solid engine, a good track, let me install this combination and if your not totally satisfied, bring it back,i will remove my components and give you a full refund. Pm me or call 780 986 6370 for more info

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TRA springs will fit this primary too, but they have a slight amount of rubbing.

CVTEch does have quite a few springs available for this clutch.

Quarters fit in the weight slots too if you need more weight.

Nice simple clutch. Take one apart and it still amazes me that this thing even works.

Have one for a Turbo'd Doo 1200. Alot have had good success with this clutch in applications around 200hp.

There are two sizes available..one is a larger diameter than the other for more overdrive.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deano it not very often u see a builder quoting these words "if your not totally satisfied, bring it back,i will remove my components and give you a full refund." I must say i am impressed and you will definitely see me in the future.

We have a full season under our belts now with an amazing COMPLETE clutch kit from SPI. It includes a helix,prim and sec springs, 3 ramps and adjustable pins for $340.00cdn. Combined with manual style rave valves, TPI's shim kit which allows adjustment between your movable shive and belt for $50.00 i dare say its tough to find a better combination for the same dollar value. 18 kits on the snow not one complaint and not one customer with a blown belt. We are also running ALL of our stock 800 xp's that have this combination with at least a 21/45 gear ratio. No pipe,no reeds stock. Just finished up two 2012 etec's with shim kit and clutch kit both sleds are 163's started life with 19/49 gearing and after some testing with the new clutching we have taken them to 21/45 gearing with 19 grams of pin weight.So needless to say not only do these kits shift these clutches properly, but they are far more efficient to the point we can take the gear ratio from 2.57:1 up to a 2.14:1 which means HUGE gains in track speed. I've made this promise before and i'll make it again. Bring me a sled with a solid engine, a good track, let me install this combination and if your not totally satisfied, bring it back,i will remove my components and give you a full refund. Pm me or call 780 986 6370 for more info

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe someone see's a power bloc clutch as an upgrade. Instant power loss in my experience with other sleds. smooth but not fast.. Deano...you got a good setup for my 154 freeride? If so i'll see you next week if your kits are in stock

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe someone see's a power bloc clutch as an upgrade. Instant power loss in my experience with other sleds. smooth but not fast.. Deano...you got a good setup for my 154 freeride? If so i'll see you next week if your kits are in stock

Indeed i do Mr. Mills. Please make it monday afternoon or tuesday as i have a funeral to attend monday morning at 10am. You can reach me on my cell at 780 717 4314

Deano

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
Installed a few on the skidoos, they work good for an older sled that needs a complete clutch, cheaper then a new brp clutch, haven't tried one on an etec. Good to hear someone tried one.

banshee911

Reaction score

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

Any idea what kind of track speeds are you getting? What about 154's?
Scale of one to ten, ten being the one in 40-50 guys u see that can out ride them all with ease, if any, how does he like it?

sledshedrevy

Reaction score
were the real benifit of the powerblock clutch comes in is not in replacing the etec primary . we tested it there as we were curious . the benifit is for any doo 800 from 2000 to 2009 that has so much wear in them that they are impractical to rebuild .2000 to 2008 the parts are cost prohibitive to put a tra back on and now there are two good replacment choices .at a resonable cost that will work as well or better than the original .

lasse

Reaction score
Well I finally got my hands on a CV-Tech PowerBloc 80 clutch to try on the 800 E-Tec.
The PowerBloc 80 clutch is the real deal and is built with mounting holes to attach the Ski-Doo ring gear to the back so your electric start will still work.
I installed the PowerBloc on the 800 E-Tec and instantly noticed how smoothed this clutch was.
No rattle or vibration.
The throttle response was great and you could instantly feel the power going to the track.
I rode hard in the tree for two day without touching anything.
The sled pulled hard and the track speed was up about 4-5 kph pulling hills in about 8-10 inches of fresh snow on top of a soft base.
The RPM was a little low pulling hills at 6000-6500 ft so on the third day I removed one puck to increase the rpm.
Now in about 1-1.5 ft of fresh I was pulling a solid 7900-8000 rpm and I can say I don't think my sled has ever pulled this hard.
I will be working to improve the calibration this weekend in and will update everyone after.

We did play a lot with changing the primary spring out and settled on a 200/290 spring and 9 waffers.
The original CV-Tech primary springs that we saw them come with were of the old style type that were long and skinny,
The problem with this style spring is that when compressed it bends in the middle and binds.
The newer spring is a shorter fat wire design and doesnt bend and gives you consatant performance.
On early XP sleds you have to make sure of motor alignment.
Easily the most amazing clutch we have tested so far.
1. Does anyone have experience with the PowerBloc 80 primary clutch on the 800 E-Tec engine ?

2. Anyone know of a clutch set-up that works well on the 800 E-Tec engine ?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always just run the stock clutches on the etec800.

And Tweek them as necessary

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. Does anyone have experience with the PowerBloc 80 primary clutch on the 800 E-Tec engine ?

. Anyone know of a clutch set-up that works well on the 800 E-Tec engine ?

yes i ran a power bloc 80 on a 860 big bore with twin pipes and nitrous. really good clutch. ridiculously easy to tune for the sled.

buddy also ran one on his 800 etec, worked like a champ. bottom end on these clutches is a little different than a TRA.

TRA always felt 'revy' were as the power bloc loaded up and muscled through. at 60/6500 rpm they both felt the same.

thecheyner

Reaction score
yes i ran a power bloc 80 on a 860 big bore with twin pipes and nitrous. really good clutch. ridiculously easy to tune for the sled.

buddy also ran one on his 800 etec, worked like a champ. bottom end on these clutches is a little different than a TRA.

TRA always felt 'revy' were as the power bloc loaded up and muscled through. at 60/6500 rpm they both felt the same.
Did you just change weights or spring, or a combination of them both?

Top Bottom