Any jdx8 gurus out there?

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone worked on these sleds. I have a 75 with the electronic ignition. The motor was rough so i found a 440 in good shape but its the 440/21 not 440/22 like this. Will all ignition stuff cross over?

brendan.9

Reaction score
im no help but i just picked up a jdx6 that i have to get running... hope it goes well going to drain the tank and clean the carb. rear suspension is seized or is it supposed to be solid? lol. I would look for some facebook groups maybe for vintage stuff find an old guy on there that knows.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Really need some crank repair but not sure if they can fix those old cranks. I’ll do some digging. Those old kiroritz 440/22 engines made 46hp. A little ahead of there time.

turbonator

Reaction score
Is it a piston port engine, or reeds? Also the "presto lite" CDI boxes were extremely trouble some, and hard to find (at least back in the early to mid 90's, before the net...LOL) so be gentle with yours, and have fun, sounds like a fun project....

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys heres a update. I ended up going through 4 engines to get 2 good cranks. Also ended up with 4 parts sleds to get resto going.I have chassis painted hoods out for painting and seat being recovered. Decal kit ordered and I ordered 3-4 sets of pistons cause they are very tough to get. Talk about a process lol. Also sent away stator for cdi ignition as it was kaput also.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Ken it has been. My sister inlaw text me today and said they had clean 1975 artic cat panther in shed. Come get lol. Might see if i can round up 4-5 of the bigger name 440’s from 75 and restore.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys heres a update. I ended up going through 4 engines to get 2 good cranks. Also ended up with 4 parts sleds to get resto going.I have chassis painted hoods out for painting and seat being recovered. Decal kit ordered and I ordered 3-4 sets of pistons cause they are very tough to get. Talk about a process lol. Also sent away stator for cdi ignition as it was kaput also.

holy fawk. are you leaning out? im thinking the JDx8 has got the higher compression engine. run that thing as rich as you can to get the performance you want. ive got a JD 600 with same used engine for 8 years. regular winter driver. first engine did lean out. learnt hard way. keep the fuel system clean to avoid a fuel starve and lean condition.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No im not talking running engines. Im talking parts engines. Crank rods are unavailable and so you cannot get rebuilt unless you have good crank. Also pistons are limited so bores have to be in good shape. Which quite a few I found were not. The biggest overbore piston I found was .020. Which are tough to get. I got last 4 around here. Received stator today so can finish assembling.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a tidbit of info guys you may not know. In Early 80’s when Polaris was in financial trouble John Deere was looking at them to purchase. They found Polaris wasn’t a viable option and turned them down. Later after Polaris was bought and rebounded they bought jd sled division out.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a tidbit of info guys you may not know. In Early 80’s when Polaris was in financial trouble John Deere was looking at them to purchase. They found Polaris wasn’t a viable option and turned them down. Later after Polaris was bought and rebounded they bought jd sled division out.
Future trivia question

Top Bottom