any Dualsport riders (aka street plated dirt bikes)

mxcollector

Reaction score
am just curious to know if they are more guys like me that prefer to ride my bike to the trails instead of trucking them

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a bike again and a dual sport is under consideration. Likely won't be until the boy is a little older though and I can get him on a pw50. I'd like to be able to ride to work on some of the nicer days.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello mx, good to hear from you on this site.

I kinda cheat theses days,,, I've been riding my bike out West to check out the easy stuff, then use my quad which is parked out there.

Some times I haul the bike depending on how many days and weeks I'm in Alberta or BC.

I've done 20+ trips to Ontario by dual sport bike, but now it's time too hual it to the staging areas.

A whole lot of everything included in the out-doors for me.

Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Bike, Quad, Sight Seeing, and a bit of relaxing,,, Ha.

Pal Lem aka Kow Dude

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear yha,,, when I get beat-up riding the trails or roads,,, nothing worse than putting on another 150 to 200+++ kms to return.

At least for me that is, more power to the folks in good shape as its easy for them to pull this off,,, but age and old injuries are slowing me down.

I don't mind doing rides with in my 100 km circle, further than that requires me to load and go,,, 2 to 7 days that makes it worth its while,,, 10 to 14 days is better LOL.

Nothing like stretching out at the staging grounds after a ride since my unit has a full time home away from Home.

Pretty hard to ignore a comfort truck that is awesome on fuel to take me places, IMO only that is.

Just loading up for a 4 day Nordegg run, truck, bike, food, lawn-chair and axe. LOL.

The Lamb Man

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Suzuki DRZ-400 SM is what I have, never rode it last year because I was still recovering from a car accident. My bike only has like a 150km range, it’s honestly the only street bike I really have any interest riding, a dual sport that is. Everything’s else is too expensive. I can plate mine for like $50 a month vs $200+ for anything else. Sure doesn’t go as fast or have as much power but it’s reliable. If I wanted to get an off road bike I’d rather buy a specific one instead of trying to make due with a cross over.

I definitely agree 6 speeds would be killer to have, but the ratio on my bike in 5th gear is very similar to KTM’s 6th gear, and Honda’s 6th gear.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suzuki DRZ-400 SM is what I have, never rode it last year because I was still recovering from a car accident. My bike only has like a 150km range, it’s honestly the only street bike I really have any interest riding, a dual sport that is. Everything’s else is too expensive. I can plate mine for like $50 a month vs $200+ for anything else. Sure doesn’t go as fast or have as much power but it’s reliable. If I wanted to get an off road bike I’d rather buy a specific one instead of trying to make due with a cross over.

I definitely agree 6 speeds would be killer to have, but the ratio on my bike in 5th gear is very similar to KTM’s 6th gear, and Honda’s 6th gear.
I you get big tanks for them. Thats what I did on my ktm.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here, I did the Clark 4.9 USA gallon/ 17 liters, the drz had pretty good range.

I put a Seat Concepts on it which helped for distance.
It was easy to pull off 4 to 500 km days with a fuel stop,,, but injuries prevent this now days.

It was fun riding to and from those play areas, so now I pack the unit to cut back on the mileage,,, and it saves wear on the tires.

I'm running a 2 ton klr, it needs all the knobbies it can get to stay up right. Ha.

There are lots of folks in our area that put on the dual sport miles,,, a few of them are on their way to Nuc-tee-Yuck-Tuck.

Lots of different dual sport and adventure bikes to choose from these day. Zoom Zoom

Lem

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if i consider my self a dualsport rider but more of an adventure rider.
I spend about 75/25 on the pavement/gravel riding in some of the most beautiful parts of BC, escaping down side roads into small remote communities and even ghost town's of the early day's, it is amazing how many miles of roads there are in BC that the majority of people never travel on or get to see. Many are like traveling back 100 years into the past, like Gold trail and Ghost town's.
I ride a BMWgs.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a ktm 450 EXCR that is factory dual sport well minus all the emissions crap that fell off lol
nice to be able to ride the street and then hit the trail or ride on the trunk road

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, BC is simply awesome with all those logging roads.

To date I've hit Golden and area
Radium, Gold Bridge, Pembeton, Harrison Hot Springs, Cranbrook, Mackenzie, Kamloops, North and South Shuswap, Revy, Castle Guard, Grand Forks, Vancouver Island, and a few section along the Pacific Northwest USA.

Yuppers, DS allows for some crazy outtings. Now I visit the edges of those areas since most of the stuff back there hasn't changed in years.

Lots of tenting in the rain, now I use my full time back-seat bed in my truck too stage out of.

Warm & Dry to allow for even more comfortable rides, don't have to pack-up to move to the next staging area since everything in the truck that is organized.

The truck of everything saved my azz at Harrison Hot Springs,,, it would of cost my THOUSANDS of $$$$ dollars to get out of the depths of the West Side. The tow-truck bill alone would of ended the trip.

No ones coming to help you in the Gold Bridge area North of Pembeton. She's 300+++ kms one way for the hook. LOL.

Tow Truck out of Rocky to North Nordegg is $2.85 a km,,, the last hual out of there was $500. 175 kms to pay one way.

If my truck was in the area, it would of cost me $20 for self rescue,,, ok $50 since I drove my hual truck out there in the first place.

Once a persons walks wounded for 20 plus kms, it's sure nice having the support unit handy.

Of course this is just my take as each person gets to pick and choose what works for them.

Lem with ideas to improve the outtings with more comforts that are handy if needed

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last summer i rode the Duffy lake road to to Horse Shoe Bay, ferried over to Nanaimo, then rode out to Tofino and Ucluelet and spent 3 days at Long Beach. Spent 7 days on the road.
Planing to ride the sunshine coast this summer.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ride a supermoto? How are they in the twisties like say Westside Rd from Vernon to Kelowna?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually truck it when in Alberta because we ride pretty hard and I worry that I will kill my bike off-road and not be able to make it back to the city. Other than the long uncomfortable ride out, this is why we transport to the trails.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone ride a supermoto? How are they in the twisties like say Westside Rd from Vernon to Kelowna?

I chicken out before the bike starts to skid... well before it starts to skid. My seat is hard on my drz-400sm. Brakes are unreal. Stop on a dime. And the suspension upgrade may be worth it as well. Can’t say I’ve pushed it in that aspect.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey that's my road haha, every time i drive or ride i have to go on that road, i live on it. Fun road to ride on but dangerous if your careless, plus seen plenty of yahoo's come around the twisties on the wrong side. Best time to ride that road is early morning.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, there flying up there to get into the wild mushroom patch before the morning dew comes off the caps. LOL.

We stay at the far North end of that road.

The BC is full of awesome adventures.

My 2 favs are Okanogan Falls and Merritt, endless-ness fore sure.

Lem

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey that's my road haha, every time i drive or ride i have to go on that road, i live on it. Fun road to ride on but dangerous if your careless, plus seen plenty of yahoo's come around the twisties on the wrong side. Best time to ride that road is early morning.
I commute to Westbank once a week for work so I am looking for something fun to drive/ride and link Yankee Flats to Westside for my morning drive. Too much slow traffic in the afternoon on that route coming home.

Top Bottom