another new customer in the Shuswap

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For that kind of money I would find a Cedar/Larch and split my own shakes, that's a small roof and for what you need...make a day out of it.
Hey Flappie, are you a roofing expert? This is a metal roof to match the existing grooves on the property. We found a click together (non-mechanical joining ie no special tools required) type from WestSteel. The price for the metal sheets gable flashing, and the ridge cap is $1300 and change. My client go a quote from a guy who wanted to make a months wages on half a days work!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Flappie, are you a roofing expert? This is a metal roof to match the existing grooves on the property. We found a click together (non-mechanical joining ie no special tools required) type from WestSteel. The price for the metal sheets gable flashing, and the ridge cap is $1300 and change. My client go a quote from a guy who wanted to make a months wages on half a days work!!
Way to find a solution Doug. Now you have a life long customer plus a chit load of good references from the guy for saving him big bucks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No, if you had to chose $5500 or get your own shakes I'm thinking you would get your own shakes, am I right ?
Do those shakes fall from the sky? Still going to be cost getting a select piece of cedar and some expertise in making the shakes, and installing. I don't have time for that process. Sorry dude and besides the client wants a metal roof.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Job Doug!! I am sure this happy customer will lead to many more.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have metal roof on mine, I’m one hail storm away from shakes! Metal is stupid load when it rains. You can’t even talk in there when raining.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is loud during rain, I have a metal roof on my deck and the whole house was metal in Kimberley.
Metal roofs would get smashed with all the hail in Alberta.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Weather isn't a real concern in the Shuswap. Not a lot of wind, not a lot of heavy rain, and seldom hails. There are no sail boats on Shuswap Lake due to a lack of wind.

Another concern was the house roof (about 2500 sqft. foot print), the carport roof (about 1500 sqft foot print), and an older garage (about 2000 sqft foot print) all have the same roofing material. Client wanted and insisted that the gazebo roof had to be the same.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Finished and waiting for the roofing.

Attachments

• IMG_6243.mov
    25.5 MB
  • IMG_6244.jpeg
    IMG_6244.jpeg
    670.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6246.jpeg
    IMG_6246.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6247.jpeg
    IMG_6247.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 172

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good

Dinosaur tracks and the lady of the house just happened to have a spare basket

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weather isn't a real concern in the Shuswap. Not a lot of wind, not a lot of heavy rain, and seldom hails. There are no sail boats on Shuswap Lake due to a lack of wind.

Another concern was the house roof (about 2500 sqft. foot print), the carport roof (about 1500 sqft foot print), and an older garage (about 2000 sqft foot print) all have the same roofing material. Client wanted and insisted that the gazebo roof had to be the same.

I’ve never noticed there were no sailboats until you mentioned it , I do notice the nice glass when were out on it though . Learn something new every day.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always had a major concern with cedar shakes, wood siding & wood windows in the bush. Living in a match box has never been of any interest LOL, I think excellent choice staying with the tin & how it fits the balance of the property.

Fabric such as landscape can be used under the tin to reduce the noise from rain.

I'm curious how you cut the timbers? Joints are very nice :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another new customer. A lot of little things to do which will turn this work site into work for a couple months this summer and maybe even into next summer. To begin with, there are 4 out buildings that need to be addressed; metal roofing installed, Hardie board siding with Smart trim, windows, patio door install, some other doors, and a sweet garage door behind a couple barn doors. I have a plan that melds together so far. The roof on one building has to be completed before the patio door can be moved from another building and installed in the building I am working on. Also a window needs to be installed in the building I am working on. Lots of rot to be replaced and the first picture is kind of cool.

I am thinking when they put the roofing boards on 80-100 years ago, they ran into some problems with curved boards. The solution was to put in a saw cut so the board could be bent to conform to the previous board. Note that it didn't go all the way through the roof board but was enough to bend the board and spread the cut.

Rafter extensions are done and tails cut and ready for fascia. What a beautiful place to work!!

IMG_6321.jpeg
IMG_6322.jpeg
IMG_6323.jpeg
IMG_6324.jpeg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
One side is ready for the tin and the other..................a little short of paper today.

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6332.jpeg
    IMG_6332.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 118

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might have to hire some staff if you keep getting busier !

I hear Cyle is looking for a job using a chainsaw and working with numbers

Top Bottom