alpine lakes

linzoid

Reaction score
something i always wondered about is when mountain lakes are safe to ride on,
Here in Alberta we get colder temps and the lakes freeze up pretty quick generally bit up in the alpine it always seems milder and a lot more snow blanketing things so I always feel nervous about riding on them. Sometimes its hard to tell even when you are on one. For example at Renshaw just east of the cabin 1/2 click I think there is a small one right there in the meadow. I didnt know it was there until riding across it years ago and roosted up some slush.
When generally do you think they would be safe?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really depends if they get cold weather for a bit before they get a big dump of snow. Once the snow hits it big time the cold doesn't get to it as quickly

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it has to do with knowing your riding area well and if you really aren’t sure, then don’t. Early season or late, if there aren’t any other tracks going across or playing on a lake and you aren’t familiar with the area, I’d say don’t.

I rode revy 2 weeeknds ago and had never been to boulder that early. Typically mid-November for me down there. We roosted slush as we went across the lakes at the top of the trail to the alpine and purposely went into them with speed as a caution. If I was to return in a few weeks time, I wouldn’t have an issue. But like mentioned above know the history of the temperature and weather patterns before you go.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
All I know is if you pin it, you dont sink ;)
And what I have learned is there are a lot of variable and the throttle may get you into deeper trouble. Have you ever been stuck in overflow on a trap line (or anywhere for that matter) when it is -25 C? It was a real struggle and a good thing the trapper had a door wide enough to put the sleds inside for the night otherwise we would have been in deep trouble.

Returning to the original question, a lot depends on the weather/temperature/precipitation. There are areas in the mountains that don't get that cold and a heavy wet snow fall is very heavy and the ice sort of goes down in the water (due to the weight) and forces the water to come from under the ice along the shore. That water then floats on top of the ice under the snow and causes lots of problems for sledders.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As others have said know your area. We have a lot of lakes around here with similar issues, flood water in between the ice and snow after a snowfall. The other huge issue is creeks or springs running into or out of the lakes. We have a couple lakes that the outflow never really freeze solid. Sometimes they look solid but the outflow from the lake runs underneath and the ice can be paper thin, particularly after a snowfall when the weight of the snow pushes more water out the creeks. Extremely dangerous areas, the odds of surviving in these areas if you went in are pretty much zero, the current would quickly pull you under the ice as you floated down the creek.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And what I have learned is there are a lot of variable and the throttle may get you into deeper trouble. Have you ever been stuck in overflow on a trap line (or anywhere for that matter) when it is -25 C? It was a real struggle and a good thing the trapper had a door wide enough to put the sleds inside for the night otherwise we would have been in deep trouble.

Returning to the original question, a lot depends on the weather/temperature/precipitation. There are areas in the mountains that don't get that cold and a heavy wet snow fall is very heavy and the ice sort of goes down in the water (due to the weight) and forces the water to come from under the ice along the shore. That water then floats on top of the ice under the snow and causes lots of problems for sledders.

No but I like to go full pin across frisby lake early/late season.
So If I sink wont have far to go to warm up :p

Last edited:

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should always test the ice if looks like trouble. First close to shore next out from shore. I have seen 7 layer thin ice water and slush in one test hole. Be safe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya a hear you i try to stay off till i see a bunch of traffic on there but if i have to i just walk out and cut some holes and measure like when we go ice fishing

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago had a buddy doing donuts start to go through the ice on an alpine lake. I pinned it to the shore and started to piece together ropes from our group to try to save him. Fortunately he gave a mighty shove under full pin and got out! Very scary to realize how helpless you are as a bystander.... now we always park close to shore and play it conservative on lakes till good and set up.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I have to cross something early season I try to stay close to shore but not too close where the ice is often thinner. Close enough you could get there by pinning it if you started to sink in or if worst case you sunk it's not over your head. Blue Lake for example you can skirt on the north shore or just go up and over the viewpoint early season.

Top Bottom