Above Ground Pools 2

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is already 1 thread about this, but using LNG and other means of heat.

We're toying around the idea of one in the 1000 - 1500 $$ range.

We like to hear the Doo's and don'ts of going this route as well, as where you bought it from and would you do it again?

TIA

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmmm......... might have to up the price range closer to 2500 all in, the more I look

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents set one up 10x25 ish and it lasted 12 years before the pool phase was simply out grown by us kids and the grand kids. The pool had a 10 year warranty and it lasted all of that and some. We first tried it on grass but couldn’t get it level enough so the second year a concrete pad was poured. We also started off by using the solar blanket and having the pump push water threw the black water extrusions to try to heat the pool but that just never worked out to be warm enough. Second year also included a natural gas heater. Very little maintenance to speak of other than the typical pool chemicals and vacuuming the floors. Winter storage was easy, drain all but the bottom 2’ of water out and throw in a bunch of empty milk jugs or kids inflated rubber balls (this was a trick taught by the pool store) remove pump and skimmer and blow out lines with compressed air. We had to fill out lines to and from the heater/pool with rv antifreeze because we ran them underground to the heater for aesthetics but that really was not an issue when doing the winter shut down. I would say it was money well spent although I didn’t spend it... but the pool was my moms way to get to spend all the time she could with her kids and grandkids while she was alive. No regrets I am sure.

if you have any other questions let me know. I feel I am pretty well versed on the topic.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my 22’ pool. Wasn’t $1500. Need to budget higher...

Attachments

• 48E9C62B-4FC1-400C-92D1-B18BFBBBC506.jpg
    48E9C62B-4FC1-400C-92D1-B18BFBBBC506.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 196

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My parents set one up 10x25 ish and it lasted 12 years before the pool phase was simply out grown by us kids and the grand kids. The pool had a 10 year warranty and it lasted all of that and some. We first tried it on grass but couldn’t get it level enough so the second year a concrete pad was poured. We also started off by using the solar blanket and having the pump push water threw the black water extrusions to try to heat the pool but that just never worked out to be warm enough. Second year also included a natural gas heater. Very little maintenance to speak of other than the typical pool chemicals and vacuuming the floors. Winter storage was easy, drain all but the bottom 2’ of water out and throw in a bunch of empty milk jugs or kids inflated rubber balls (this was a trick taught by the pool store) remove pump and skimmer and blow out lines with compressed air. We had to fill out lines to and from the heater/pool with rv antifreeze because we ran them underground to the heater for aesthetics but that really was not an issue when doing the winter shut down. I would say it was money well spent although I didn’t spend it... but the pool was my moms way to get to spend all the time she could with her kids and grandkids while she was alive. No regrets I am sure.

if you have any other questions let me know. I feel I am pretty well versed on the topic.

What's the purpose of throwing in all the inflatable's?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love my 22’ pool. Wasn’t $1500. Need to budget higher...
That looks really good. I won't ask the price, but will ask where you got it from?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks really good. I won't ask the price, but will ask where you got it from?
Pool was from Canadian tire. Put in a natural gas boiler for the heat. Kept it at 88 F. The pool is cheap part of the whole deal. If your not going to heat it don’t bother putting it up. Catman10 has some really nice fibreglass pools around 25’ diameter. More expensive but will outlast the soft ones 10-1. Cleaning the pool and chemicals is pretty simple once you get a routine.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have an 18 footer built into the deck, came with the house when we bought it. First year we didn’t have a heater and only a “solar tube” solution which did absolutely nothing. Added natural gas heat and a 2 speed pump so I let the water circulate 24/7 through a sand filter. First startup in the spring is pricey to fill water and chemicals but after that the maintenance is not bad.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pool was from Canadian tire. Put in a natural gas boiler for the heat. Kept it at 88 F. The pool is cheap part of the whole deal. If your not going to heat it don’t bother putting it up. Catman10 has some really nice fibreglass pools around 25’ diameter. More expensive but will outlast the soft ones 10-1. Cleaning the pool and chemicals is pretty simple once you get a routine.
I bought my cistern through Paul, might have to send him a text about a pool? Also going to look at the other thread about heating it. Thanks for your help. we've had a hot tub going for 2 years, so chems and clean up isn't a issue

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how much would a guy be looking at to set up and run one of these? Even ballpark numbers. Have been thinking about it for the kiddos.

And are the above ground fibreglass ones different from in ground, or is it the same thing that you bury? In ground would be nice, and I could do all the work to keep costs reasonable

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it may just have been due to our pool being soft walled, but we were told by the pool store to use the jugs or even the large rubber inflatable balls you would find in kids toys section because they give a crush area for the ice. We always did it and never had any issues. Cant say if it was a myth or truth I suppose.

I can’t remember who it was that sold us the pool but it was a company who put on an exhibit at k days back when they were on display by Borden park rather than in the expo centre
What's the purpose of throwing in all the inflatable's?

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can also watch for used pool - new liners are cheap. Our is 15x25 oval. Def need a heat source. I use a heat pump - initial price is high but operations are low. Decking is $$$ depending on how much required and local regs. It's a great family investment - one of our best. Above ground us better option if you plan on selling ) moving as inground can be a negative depending on the market.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Give me a call anytime man, I have 1 used new old stock tank that can be made into an awesome pool and I can send you pics once I get your cell number again ha ha. I sold one last year and the family loves it, they used a wood stove with a coil type heater I think, he has all the info on the parts he bought but yes your budget will have to be higher, my S and M deal on my pool alone is $4k, for kijji this year it will be listed at $5k.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 10x18 cheapy with the blow up ring around it. I made a heater out of a 55gal drum, couple hundred dollers in copper tubing, diesel forced air heater. It works well enough and easy for the old lady to start and stop.

Works great for the kids but i will have to upgrade the size in the next couple years i think.

I acquired a nat gas on demand water heater for next to nothing, going to try it out this summer for a heating option, if nothing else it will help with warmup times. I dont constantly heat, just the day of use kind of thing. During midsummer a solar blanket keeps the heat in really well and not alot of heating is required once its up to temp. Spring/fall is the killer on heating costs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom