A write up found from the Skiier that passed away by Valemount recently

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is very good to know, damn. Send the SOS after everyone is accounted for or maybe send it then turn it off after.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is very good to know, damn. Send the SOS after everyone is accounted for or maybe send it then turn it off after.
Or send it and leave the SOS device on your sled. It's the proximity to the searching beacons that are most likely to cause the problems.

Reactions: RXN

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can not imagine what that guy was going through. This is the first time that I heard of the inreach issue. I carry one with me at all times as well as many other things but when I go out tomorrow we better do a test and actually see what it does. My inreach is always in my windshield bag if that makes a difference

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can not imagine what that guy was going through. This is the first time that I heard of the inreach issue. I carry one with me at all times as well as many other things but when I go out tomorrow we better do a test and actually see what it does. My inreach is always in my windshield bag if that makes a difference

I've tested with mine. I've tested against the Tracker 3, the Tracker S and a Pieps.
I got the same results. If a message/call is coming in or going out. The beacon in my hand in search mode gets a little funky. Numbers go crazy. This only lasted 4 seconds for me. As it was only one message coming in from my wife.
The inreach was in my backpack on my back.

I also tested with the inreach and my phone beside a beacon in transmit. And had my wife send a message to both phone and inreach to see what affect that would have on the beacon searching.
I showed no affect.

But yes everyone should check it agaist their gear and see what happens.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good to know. I used to ride with the inreach on my sled in the windshield bag but I put in in my backpack now in case I ever get separated from my sled. Should test with my pieps beacon

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is very sad somebody has lost their life and I wish condolences to the survivors, families, s and r, and anyone effected!

I don’t wanna sound like a dick and there is always gonna be the “human” factor of any decisions. I defiantly will take the transmitting of a message or sos into consideration during a search now! In reality spending the time to find the device and press the button might make the difference in finding and saving your buddy

Choices where made by the group that questions their experience. Or maybe confidence? Crazy slope with nothing but bad consequences and full red alarm forecast?
b56d9e4a8a0706ff34d1baba91289ba9.png

676ad4b3c63ba50ad74e06b3a692c950.png

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s not just the inreach that does this. I had a similar problem with my spot when I had to use the sos. Any time it sent a signal it made my beacon give me false readings while searching after an avalanche.

• Thanks

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've tested with mine. I've tested against the Tracker 3, the Tracker S and a Pieps.
I got the same results. If a message/call is coming in or going out. The beacon in my hand in search mode gets a little funky. Numbers go crazy. This only lasted 4 seconds for me. As it was only one message coming in from my wife.
The inreach was in my backpack on my back.

I also tested with the inreach and my phone beside a beacon in transmit. And had my wife send a message to both phone and inreach to see what affect that would have on the beacon searching.
I showed no affect.

But yes everyone should check it agaist their gear and see what happens.
I remember your write up of testing which was good, after reading about this skier got me to thinking does it make a difference from sending or receiving messages to using sos? something that a person cannot test but if sos is used does that make the difference to the beacon? Just a thought

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember your write up of testing which was good, after reading about this skier got me to thinking does it make a difference from sending or receiving messages to using sos? something that a person cannot test but if sos is used does that make the difference to the beacon? Just a thought

I got no interference when i tried that.

I laid my inreach and my cell phone next to the beacon i typically wear. Beacon in transmit mode.

I stood roughly 10ft away and had my wife send my inreach a message. I had her text and call my phone.

The beacon i was searching with was not affected.
Now I didnt try it closer or further. It was cold that day.

But with the inreach in my backpack and my beacon on search an incoming message did interfere with the signal.
So Id imagine if the search beacon was close enough to the inreach signal it would pick it up.

Again. I've only done this with my equipment. I cant say every beacon will react the same with an inreach or spot signal.

Guys need to play with their own equipment and see what happens

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got no interference when i tried that.

I laid my inreach and my cell phone next to the beacon i typically wear. Beacon in transmit mode.

I stood roughly 10ft away and had my wife send my inreach a message. I had her text and call my phone.

The beacon i was searching with was not affected.
Now I didnt try it closer or further. It was cold that day.

But with the inreach in my backpack and my beacon on search an incoming message did interfere with the signal.
So Id imagine if the search beacon was close enough to the inreach signal it would pick it up.

Again. I've only done this with my equipment. I cant say every beacon will react the same with an inreach or spot signal.

Guys need to play with their own equipment and see what happens

It is the beacon on search that is effected. Test again, start 80 meters away and see when your beacon pickups the signal with a sat device beside it then test again without sat device. I had a big eye opener last week with my Zoleo.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it is the sat device with the searcher that is the problem, is this correct? So wouldn’t leaving the sat device a 100m away or turn off solve the problem?

Top Bottom