91 rxl efi

hintonite

Reaction score
I found a "preformance" chip on ebay for this machine and was wondering if anyone has heard if they work. It seems to bogg down till 5500-6000rpm lke it is not getting enough fuel. The chip claims to fix the throttle responce.

hintonite

Reaction score
It is EFI i dont beleive there is and piolet jets only throttle bodys (no carbs)

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those chips are scams.

Yup, EFI on those sleds, EXTREMELY fast tripples, I learned on one of those, punched out three times and is by far fastest sled I have even been on.

Might be something electrical in the system, not sure what though, maybe a bad box??

local legend

Reaction score
I think I know where there is a set of pipes and other parts for that sled.....but has been converted to carbs.

hintonite

Reaction score
I took it out across the lake and goes like a bat out of hell. It does not seem to have any clutch slipage just low bottom power. I read some where that if you change the secondary to the last hole it helps. I also called the local plaris dealer and he coulnd not help but would look into it. Does anyone know if there is a high altitude kit for them. it came from Manitoba and i am at 3000-3500'. I also asked polaris if they knew of one but they said they would get back to me.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey hintonite with the fuel injection you won't need to make adjustments for altitude or temperature the computer will do it for you where ever you ride. The throttle position sensor may be out of adjustment a bit resulting in the bog at the beginning. I have had to replace the TPS on that machine once because it would idle but then just die when opening up the throttle. The machine has sat for 2 years without being used so a couple bottles of injector cleaner through it wouldn't hurt either. I did replace the pick up hose and filter on the end of it inside the tank mid January.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to look at is possibly the throttle bodies are a little out of sink from one another. Here is a link that may be useful on the RXL's. Also read through the clutching journal on what buddy did to really make his pull hard and over come the bog between 5000 - 6000 rpm.

Hope this helps and if any questions send me an e-mail. Will have to check if your interested but the sled wrecker/recycler in Yorkton Sask. use to have a chip, pipes and big bore kit from a Indy RXL.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took it out across the lake and goes like a bat out of hell. It does not seem to have any clutch slipage just low bottom power. I read some where that if you change the secondary to the last hole it helps. I also called the local plaris dealer and he coulnd not help but would look into it. Does anyone know if there is a high altitude kit for them. it came from Manitoba and i am at 3000-3500'. I also asked polaris if they knew of one but they said they would get back to me.
What does this sled engauge at? the triple I had a similar bog in it got the engaugement up to 5000rpm and it went away, But I did more racing with this sled and crusing at 80 to 90mph on the fire roads back home, so you migh not like the high engaugement, LOL my 440 sno X sled engauged at 5700rpm.
Ok back on topic when was the clutch rebuilt last, a good indication that they need attention is grab the top of the primary clutch sheves with on hand and squeeze them together slightly, what your checking is your cover bushing. I always found the polaris triples to have a slight bog in them due to clutching.
Tightning up your secondary spring will help the backshifting but will also increase your top rpm and make your sled slower in speed.
My first step would be check the compression if it's within spec, give Hot seat performance a call on the clutches I've had really good luck in the past with their clutch kits on my polaris sleds and tech support was good, well it was 10 yrs ago. I hope this help some, and man do I miss the sound of a single pipe triple, Any body out there remember the sound of the 580 XLT?

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My RXL was the same way you describe. I tryed playing with the throttle sensor but never realy made much difference. Never tryed replacing it though.Had primmary rebuilt, and secondary tightened up. I even took off the belt , started it and pinned it,It would still have that boggy kinda of powerless feel for a few seconds and then it would wana rev up.But the sled would run great and go like hell. I never did find the fix for it.I just lived with it.

Hope you figure it out. :beer::beer::beer:

Hey hintonite with the fuel injection you won't need to make adjustments for altitude or temperature the computer will do it for you where ever you ride. The throttle position sensor may be out of adjustment a bit resulting in the bog at the beginning. I have had to replace the TPS on that machine once because it would idle but then just die when opening up the throttle. The machine has sat for 2 years without being used so a couple bottles of injector cleaner through it wouldn't hurt either. I did replace the pick up hose and filter on the end of it inside the tank mid January.

hintonite

Reaction score
I added a can of sea foam and charged the battery up. it starts and runs great. I was actualy looking into changing the clutching to engage a little higher. It is engaging @ about 4400 now. But the snow it melting fast!

hintonite

Reaction score
I attempted to adjust the tps and have it at 4500oms at WOT but now it is @ 980 oms at an idle. It should be at 4500 and 400-700 oms. Would this mean that it needs to be replaced or is there another way to adjust it other than the 2 screws on the sensor it self. It seems to idle alot better now.

snowgoer

Reaction score
I have a 91' rxl with the efi and the fuel is getting up to the injectors but not going through. Could they be plugged? and how can i unplug them? The sled hasnt been ran in 3 years.

Top Bottom