850 died on trail in WTF?

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand, this is a weird compression test, this is pto side.
5b196e73b52bbcaae5fb94299bcaef01.jpg

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but take into account that once a dealer plugs into your sled on BUDS you are on borrowed time for any warranty work down the road if someone at BRP chooses to look at any BUDS files on your serial number. They killed the warranty on a customer's sled of ours that had ran a turbo and then removed it after his motor blew and they had looked at his BUDS history report. They saw the air intake numbers were through the roof and immediately killed all his extended warranty even after we offered to send them pics of the sled in the shop. Just a heads up guys for your information.
Good for BRP, why should they warranty a sled that has been turbo'd. You can't have it both ways.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after much swearing I got the gauge in on the mag side, really not good. Am I missing something, is there something special a guy needs to do to get a comp test on these 850’s? Not sure how these fancy new electronically operated exhaust valves work, could they maybe be fkn up? I’m so confused, the plug on the mag side didn’t look that bad at all, no sign of alum residue on either side. I really miss my xm now lol.
f322bb46eb54ea6bb751dc83aaedcc90.jpg

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to be an ass, or suggest you don't know how to do a compression test, but what is your procedure ? How many pulls, open throttle or closed ?

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to be an ass, or suggest you don't know how to do a compression test, but what is your procedure ? How many pulls, open throttle or closed ?

It’s been probly 20 Years so who knows, 3 pulls, and a fourth to make sure it got as hi as it was going to go, no throttle. Last one I did was on my ‘97 ultra 680 lol

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Im not a mechanic and might be missing something but would you not just take this sled back to the dealer that sold it to you and let him figure it out? That's what I would be doing if and when my new axys gives me any grief what so ever.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your absolutely rite, that’s what a guy should do, and I have a very good relationship with my dealer but what’s the fun in that lol. I’m the kinda guy that would rather fix it at home if it’s something simple, dealers got enough **** to deal with. but by the looks of this, it’s not a simple fix ?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s been probly 20 Years so who knows, 3 pulls, and a fourth to make sure it got as hi as it was going to go, no throttle. Last one I did was on my ‘97 ultra 680 lol

make sure you're holding the throttle wide open too

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they say to open Throttle to get more air in but it only every gained me max 10psi from past experience, is there something about these newer motors that makes the throttle being open more important? Neither cylinder to me had enough compression to make the throttle thing have any real effect. It’s loaded up now to head to Redline in the am anyways.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure, now prove it to BRP. Like I said you can't have it both ways, if you can afford a turbo then you can afford no warranty.

That’s a bold statement fella, you’re saying that because a guy works his ass off to to be able to afford the toys he wants and the mods he wants, the manufacturer should turn their backs on them? I spent the same amount of money at the dealer on my sled and accessories as the next guy, I agree that there might be situations where accessories are the direct cause of failure and manufacturers should have the rite to refuse repairs in said situations, but those are few and far between.

Top Bottom