TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me old laptop piled up so no pics until spring time

I like it its a good system .... U drain is pricey

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a customer that built a cold storage pole building with Goodon. The one end wall ended up so out of whack that the bi-fold overhead door ended up out of the tracks and he couldn't use it. Took a bunch of back and forth with Goodon and they went from "we'll give you a good deal on your next building" to finally sending a crew to rectify the issue. It's all about who puts it up and whether it's done right.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to watch out for is a builder will put his poles and trusses every 5’ and use a truss that was designed for every 4’. Some will throw a steel plate in the hole for the pole to sit on rather than pour a concrete plug. Some guys like super cheap and some prefer quality.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me old laptop piled up so no pics until spring time

I like it its a good system .... U drain is pricey
Do you know Whether you have the residential or commercial Udrain and what the cost was? Anyone know who handles the stuff in Alberta? Also if anyone has a referral for a reputable builder I’d appreciate it.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know Whether you have the residential or commercial Udrain and what the cost was? Anyone know who handles the stuff in Alberta? Also if anyone has a referral for a reputable builder I’d appreciate it.
Home hardware in Camrose is a dealer. Where are you located in Alberta?

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have heard from a couple guys had monster shops go up in 4 days. The owners said they would not have believed it if they had not watched it.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have heard from a couple guys had monster shops go up in 4 days. The owners said they would not have believed it if they had not watched it.
I have a buddy who's a contractor for goodon, crazy what they can do in 3 days

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have commercial U drain 10"section and the boxes are 2'x 2' with lids you can drive a semi on the price was high for what you get I did get mine from Castle Building supplies

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please post some of your estimates or cost comparisons for the shell.

I would like to do a 40x60 Ish.
My quote from Prairie Post Buildings its a 60 by 60 16 foot high walls 3 14 by 14 overhead doors 2 man doors fully insulated with tin inside and with labour to build is $149,800. Just need cement floor about 55 meters of concrete $16,000 plus $1.40ish a square foot to place and finish and electrical on a good note 75 year warranty on the post

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Our 60x200 was done in 3 lol and awesome group of guys

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished my 50x100. Went with footing, grade beam and studs, 50x70 is shop with 12’ mezzanine along one side, 50x30 on the back is 2 storey, bottom is horse barn, top is gym, lounge area, kitchen, bathroom/shower, covered deck off the top floor

Attachments

• E78176EE-2167-4AF4-91DC-3E23E7C0342F.jpeg
    E78176EE-2167-4AF4-91DC-3E23E7C0342F.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My quote from Prairie Post Buildings its a 60 by 60 16 foot high walls 3 14 by 14 overhead doors 2 man doors fully insulated with tin inside and with labour to build is $149,800. Just need cement floor about 55 meters of concrete $16,000 plus $1.40ish a square meter to place and finish and electrical on a good not 75 year warranty on the post
Concrete finishing is usually around 75-85 cents a sq ft. You really getting it 1.40 a sq metre? That’s around 12 cents a sq ft

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Concrete finishing is usually around 75-85 cents a sq ft. You really getting it 1.40 a sq metre? That’s around 12 cents a sq ft

I was going to say wow that's cheap, at that price I don't think you'd like the looks of the floor! Depending on size of pad 75-85 is pretty cheap too.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose of that U-drain, if you go with a decent drain you can drive whatever you want over a regular grate without an issue. U-drain just seems like someone trying to re-invent something that already works good, by making something that is a worse solution.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose of that U-drain, if you go with a decent drain you can drive whatever you want over a regular grate without an issue. U-drain just seems like someone trying to re-invent something that already works good, by making something that is a worse solution.
Supposed to be small enough that tools won't fall in and the concrete isn't suppose to chip and Crack around the drain.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be small enough that tools won't fall in and the concrete isn't suppose to chip and Crack around the drain.
What's wrong with just making a grate with small enough holes so tools don't fall in? If you can remove the grate then you can clean it out really easily. I'm interested because I'm actually building a 50 x 80 shop right now and I wasn't sure what kind of drain to put in it

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
E5294993-B555-4963-AACB-0E61C49B3805.jpeg

Another thing to watch for with different builders is the truss bracing. The top pic is a competitor building on their website. The bottom is a pic when I’m done bracing. There needs to be continuous diagonal bracing on 20’ centres throughout the building. That’s on the top and bottom chords and a continuous diagonal on every row of truss bracing. If your going with a rigid ceiling with strapped 2x4 and plywood you can eliminate the bottom diagonal. Metal is not considered a rigid product. Without the proper truss bracing your building will get weaker with snow loads. That’s why you see so many farm buildings go down after heavy snowfall.

Top Bottom