50cc scooters adventure riding.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the boy is excited that in the spring, at the ripe old age of 14 he can venture out on a 50cc scooter on his own around town with a learners.....(Already got him a Yamaha BWS 50f).
He has been watching YouTube videos and has gotten in his head that next summer he wants to do a little adventure scooter trips around alberta (staying off any marked HWYs just using back roads etc).
Has anyone attempted this in Alberta on a 50cc scooter....... I know the restrictions of use on marked hwys but I don’t know if this is something that can be done here safely.
Anyone with some experience and knowledge of this type of thing please chime in..... if it’s possible/ legal to do safely I will certainly encourage him to start planning venture out and vlog about it.... ??

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I’d check into individual county bylaws. They normally piggy back provincial regulations, but some counties add more stipulations. Single and double digit hwys are provincially controlled. Secondary (3 digit) and gravel are county controlled.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’d check into individual county bylaws. They normally piggy back provincial regulations, but some counties add more stipulations. Single and double digit hwys are provincially controlled. Secondary (3 digit) and gravel are county controlled.

Thanks that that would be a good first start.... I think it’s a good idea to ask on here because there are a ton of individuals with crazy knowledge..... maby some of that will really help. Cheers

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a dad who has just gone through this, be prepared for your kids $1500.00 all day forever scooter to turn into a $500.00 headache for someone else, and a whole lot more work to pay for his first car.
As far as taking them out on the highway, IMHO that's an accident waiting to happen. There's a reason they only go 50-60 km/h. The distances he would want to cover would probably not get him from gas station to gas station. He would get bored and tired awfully fast. The reasons to keep it in the city go on and on without even looking into the legalities.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think I mentioned staying off marked hwys and only using back roads. Looking into legal county bylaws in the province.
thanks for your response though.

Top Bottom