450x top end and trx ss valves???

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone, know how much it is now a days to do a top end on a Honda 450x with ss Trx valves in 2008 i was quoted 3k taxes everything in...

are they still this much?

Thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone, know how much it is now a days to do a top end on a Honda 450x with ss Trx valves in 2008 i was quoted 3k taxes everything in...

are they still this much?

Thanks
that's crazy....I did mine ('06 x) a couple years back and it was nowhere near that. I changed piston, valves, guides etc for under $500. it wouldn't even cost 3K if you changed out the crank, rod, and bearings...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call the honda shop in Fairview, Cycle West. they are where I got all my parts, they even installed my valves for free....you need a special little compressor deal

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's crazy....I did mine ('06 x) a couple years back and it was nowhere near that. I changed piston, valves, guides etc for under $500. it wouldn't even cost 3K if you changed out the crank, rod, and bearings...

ya but did you do it yourself? Im talking shop doing it? Did you go the Ss trx route troy? Doesn't the seats need to be re machined too?

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think you need either new seats with the valves or they need some lapping. I would at the very least run some dye on the valves to check the contact pattern on the seat. ---new parts installed on old kinda idea. I have never had a 4 stroke dirt bike head apart before but have a little experience with engines.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya but did you do it yourself? Im talking shop doing it? Did you go the Ss trx route troy? Doesn't the seats need to be re machined too?
yeah, I did it myself....never had a newer 4 stroke apart before but the 450X owner's manual is pretty much the same as a shop manual. I ran it for 5 seasons before tearing it down in the spring of 2011 and there was hardly any wear, it needed no machining and the valves were still in spec. for that kind of durability I went with all stock parts, the '06 valves are stainless steel as opposed to titanium on the 450R. I read lots about guys switching to kibbelwhite TRX SS valves, but just decided to not mess with what was working.

5 years of plated riding, even rode from Grimshaw to Athabasca and back....twice.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, I did it myself....never had a newer 4 stroke apart before but the 450X owner's manual is pretty much the same as a shop manual. I ran it for 5 seasons before tearing it down in the spring of 2011 and there was hardly any wear, it needed no machining and the valves were still in spec. for that kind of durability I went with all stock parts, the '06 valves are stainless steel as opposed to titanium on the 450R. I read lots about guys switching to kibbelwhite TRX SS valves, but just decided to not mess with what was working.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/teeroyfte/2011-06-29_22-59-37_462_zps92b008a4.jpg

5 years of plated riding, even rode from Grimshaw to Athabasca and back....twice.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/teeroyfte/2011-06-29_23-00-02_664_zpsf1a5ef4b.jpg

wow you tore that right down... what would that cost in a shop... i had no idea the 06 had ss valves my 07 started having valve problems at 25 hours... it ran fin but on inspection the exhaust valve was starting to close... i opened up the air box with the Loud Mouth Kit and on it's own kinda felt like the jetting changed... it's held up but i sold it expecting a 3k bill in trx valves and whatever else has to be done... i'd never take the plunge and rip the whole bike down... good on you

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow you tore that right down... what would that cost in a shop... i had no idea the 06 had ss valves my 07 started having valve problems at 25 hours... it ran fin but on inspection the exhaust valve was starting to close... i opened up the air box with the Loud Mouth Kit and on it's own kinda felt like the jetting changed... it's held up but i sold it expecting a 3k bill in trx valves and whatever else has to be done... i'd never take the plunge and rip the whole bike down... good on you
I didn't ask what the shop would charge, I knew it would be a ridiculous amount lol. I put the HRC "R" kit in mine when I bought it, new cam, headpipe, jetting, and the opened up airbox which of course required a higher flowing muffler. it also has the "pink wire" mod to let it run to 10,600 rpm like the R model. the X only revs to 9600. it really wasn't that bad to do, I was nervous about it too

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can have a nice head done from a reputable building in the states for way less and have it ported and valve job done. Prices up here are insane if you can handle the task of doing the rebuild I'd deff send the head to mmad. Racers. Edge. Oi or kenz

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should mention, the benefit of running SS steel valves is that they will stretch until the bike won't run, where as if you run titanium valves to the point where they are worn out, they won't stretch, but the end will snap off and trash your motor. that's why it's a popular swap for the R motors. titanium is much lighter and allows for quicker rpm's than the SS

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should mention, the benefit of running SS steel valves is that they will stretch until the bike won't run, where as if you run titanium valves to the point where they are worn out, they won't stretch, but the end will snap off and trash your motor. that's why it's a popular swap for the R motors. titanium is much lighter and allows for quicker rpm's than the SS

now that is good to know... hence why guys say their 4 stroke grenaded?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now that is good to know... hence why guys say their 4 stroke grenaded?
that, and I've heard that the cookie like piston can turn a bit sideways if it's worn bad enough and jam in the bore, which snaps the connecting rod. but yeah, when the new 4 strokes go down it's usually catastrophic lol.

Top Bottom