27's on a scrambler

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what year of scrambler? what motor 500 or 400? 27s wont bolt on. about the biggest you can get on the rear is a 25. if you want bigger you need to either lengthen the swing arm or modify the floor boards. (not enough room between tire and floor boards). They would probably fit on the front, but I've never tried it. You're going to need to modify the clutches too or youll loose power and have belt slipping issues. A low range trans from an explorer is the real fix here. If I were you I'd consider going with 25s and clutch mods. But thats up to you. Post some pics if you do it.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with 25's you don't have to do any mods, but a clutch kit will help with power and minimizing belt slip. I would also consider going to a polaris "razor" belt its much better than the factory scrambler belt. As for tires I'd try and stick to light tires IMHO mud lites are decent and very light bear claws work good but are a bit heavier there are lots of other tires out there. As for clutching check out ritter cycle racing (RCR) or High Performance Designs, they know clutching and will sell you only what you need. If you need more info on scramblers go to "gen3usa.com" Everything has been done there with scramblers.

mudbogging101

Reaction score
I am going to run a set of 24*11-10's on the back and a set of 23*8-10's on the front will this set up wok or no the guys at a local shop said it would be fine is this true or no?Thanks mike

mudbogging101

Reaction score
Also will a belt like this work "Erlandson Performance ATV Standard Drive Belts" or can you post a like to a belt that will work best in a all mud conditions?Thanks mike

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That tire combo will work, but not the way I would go. If your running 24s on the rear I would go with either 24s on the front or 25s on the front. The scrambler comes with a slightly taller tire on the front in stock trim, because it is 4wd if you change tire diameters front or rear it can put the 4wd system out (gearing) I would at least keep tire height the same or slightly taller on the front. As for a belt, here is the belt I would recomend it is a polaris belt part # 3211113 available at any polaris dealer. When you first put it on it will be a little tighter but usually after a good hard ride it will stretch a little and be fine.

94fordguy

I am going to run a set of 24*11-10's on the back and a set of 23*8-10's on the front will this set up wok or no the guys at a local shop said it would be fine is this true or no?Thanks mike

That's backwards, the front needs to be 1" taller than the rear to keep everything happy with the 4wd.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My roughneck has a 06 Scrambler 500 and he recently put 25 outlaws on the back with 26s on the front. He also put on a epi clutch kit for 27 and 28 inch tires and turns them not to bad until he gets into real heavy skeg. 3 would recomend a lighter tire or install a tranny with high low range if you want to make a Scrambler into a mud bike.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get a hi/lo trans out of a used polaris xplorer. You just have to use the correct year. the older scramblers/xplorers were chain drive front. the newer scramblers/xplorers were shaft drive front. The trans bolts in but there are a few minor mods required. I have already done this on my 02 scrambler 400 and have seen others do this on 500 scramblers.

mudbogging101

Reaction score
My scrambler is a 1998 400, also what is the front sproket for the rear wheels called or can anyone tell me where to get one mine is rounded of so my chain is skipping.Thanks and yes i know thats a confusing way to describe it.Mike

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get that sprocket at polaris or many aftermarket places rocky mountain atv, denis kirk etc. Just count the number of teeth so you get the right one. Your chain and rear sprocket might be toast too?

mudbogging101

Reaction score
Yea thats what i was thinking and im ordering a set but i just need to count the teeth first. Also about how much is a low range tranny and whre can i get one?thanks

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should always replace both sprockets at once,I always put a new chain on to,I usethe RK racing oring on mine last great,ussualy I go threw 2 chains for aset of sprockets,chain breackage sucks and can be costly if no running the front guard.

bmorgan

Reaction score
hey guys kind of late on reply, but I run 26" on the front and 25" on the back of my 500, pretty much got every mod you can do to the unit with out going into the engine.frts are rzr take offs cheap from local dealer and the rears are gators. this thing is awsom in the skag but is realy hard on belts no matter how well you clutch it. the only real fix is low gear trans. So my Question is DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN EXPLORER OR SPORTSMAN TRANS OR WRECKED UNIT with chain drive rear and shaft drive front with HIGH AND LOW GEARS FORsale.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check with sled parlor in carstairs 403-337-4093, had a few xplorers there on the weekend,

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some Magnums also had the shaft front and chain rear with high and low range.

hey guys kind of late on reply, but I run 26" on the front and 25" on the back of my 500, pretty much got every mod you can do to the unit with out going into the engine.frts are rzr take offs cheap from local dealer and the rears are gators. this thing is awsom in the skag but is realy hard on belts no matter how well you clutch it. the only real fix is low gear trans. So my Question is DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN EXPLORER OR SPORTSMAN TRANS OR WRECKED UNIT with chain drive rear and shaft drive front with HIGH AND LOW GEARS FORsale.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You get 'er figured out, and let me know how it turns out for you. I am going to buy another Scrambler and try running a low range tranny as well.

Top Bottom