2023 Yamaha mountain

natman

Reaction score
Yeah you could do that. No coolers in the tunnel. I would say you would need some reinforcement on the alpha skid. Or go with a aftermarket rail.
I built one last year with take off parts from a mountain max. I have been running the stock rail and track and have just over 1600KM on the setup with a hurricane 240 tune and its been a blast. The track and rail have held up surprisingly well.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 141

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh that’s cool. How’s the handling compared to twin rail? Predictable or to twitchy.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are the mono rail would be too unpredictable when climbing, the skis aren't on the ground and I find mine pretty squirrelly with the stock setup. But some guys say its the best, need to try one. Not sure how the monorail tracks are holding up to the power either?

natman

Reaction score
Oh that’s cool. How’s the handling compared to twin rail? Predictable or to twitchy.
My personal opinion is that it handles very well. I don't find it to be twitchy but it could be that I'am used to riding it. I see your from southern Alberta maybe some day we will cross paths at the hill and if we do your are more then welcome to take it for a ride then you will know first hand.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://snowgoer.com/latest-news/yamaha-shifts-more-focus-to-canada-based-snowmobile-hq/29617/

Guessing this is a positive and sounding like they aren’t going anywhere. Look now that Doo, Cat and Yamaha are sharing the 120&200 cc sleds. I think you see more sharing down the road to help each other keep a healthy bottom line.

Really at the end of the day getting out there and enjoy the outdoors with family and friends is what’s it about.

Sharing the kids sleds for new up coming riders makes a lot of sense.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is great news but after the skidoo release yesterday Yamaha is just so far behind. Both Polaris and Skidoo have made huge steps forward. I love the color blue but if I had to buy a new sled for next year I wouldn't even think about a mountain max. They do work good but they need some major refinements its just time. Hoping the sidewinder MTX is brought back for 23. Its hard to say what Yamaha does now but it probably needs to be something big or go home.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the new doo is whizzy…see Polaris dropped a hint of a new motor or more ponies thinking.

Why did textron buy cat? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t to run it into the ground like most people speculate. Got to be some big changes coming for them, unfortunately might not be this year.

If your going to capitalize on max amount of sales this would be the year to throw everything out there. There’s money to be spent ….everyone is vibrating to get over the pandemic bs.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya and look at the prices of these things and they are selling out. The market is there, Yamaha just has to get back in it. The few guys like me who would love to see a new chassis with the 998 in it are probably not the market but man would that be awesome.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah turbo doo with accessories will be a hair under 30k. Eff ….how can a family justify spending that for one family member. Different demographic I guess.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is great news but after the skidoo release yesterday Yamaha is just so far behind. Both Polaris and Skidoo have made huge steps forward. I love the color blue but if I had to buy a new sled for next year I wouldn't even think about a mountain max. They do work good but they need some major refinements its just time. Hoping the sidewinder MTX is brought back for 23. Its hard to say what Yamaha does now but it probably needs to be something big or go home.
That is more of a personal opinion.
The Ski-Doo release makes them now the most expensive mountain ENTRY level snowmobile on the planet.
Yes I say ENTRY, the reason new riders flock to the brand, that is ok and most become so compliant with the brand because its just that easy to play with, makes you a gopro hero before you have pubic hair.
That is BRP's overall vision, capture the new young riders coming into the sport, they know once hooked they are more likely to have them for life.
The fail is IMO, it's aimed at young, small statured new riders, exactly their aim. Larger riders and experienced riders quickly find their fail because the sled design stales any extreme progression.
Something you will not get from a Polaris line or Cat and definitely not Yamaha, you need to know what the phuk your doing on that one.
I can just imagine what will happen to the new G5 with my 6'2, 275lbs geared up frame with the years of backcountry experience I would bring to it. First I would need to figure out how my size 13 boots would stay on them boards that was designed for a peewee 165lbs boy.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah turbo doo with accessories will be a hair under 30k. Eff ….how can a family justify spending that for one family member. Different demographic I guess.
BRP has stepped away from their core values and believe in all their lines when it comes to what your saying.
I love their outboards, have you ever try to buy one? You can buy a Yamaha and pay for a fishing trip with the left over money.

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I would need to figure out how my size 13 boots would stay on them boards that was designed for a peewee 165lbs boy.
Well at least my size 14 boots have a chance of staying on those boards, even if they are only half on the board. Cat boards are complete and utter garbage, Poo and Doo trail sleds have better running boards, may aswell have the ol ZX running boards on a Yamacat, wouldn't be much difference.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is more of a personal opinion.
The Ski-Doo release makes them now the most expensive mountain ENTRY level snowmobile on the planet.
Yes I say ENTRY, the reason new riders flock to the brand, that is ok and most become so compliant with the brand because its just that easy to play with, makes you a gopro hero before you have pubic hair.
That is BRP's overall vision, capture the new young riders coming into the sport, they know once hooked they are more likely to have them for life.
The fail is IMO, it's aimed at young, small statured new riders, exactly their aim. Larger riders and experienced riders quickly find their fail because the sled design stales any extreme progression.
Something you will not get from a Polaris line or Cat and definitely not Yamaha, you need to know what the phuk your doing on that one.
I can just imagine what will happen to the new G5 with my 6'2, 275lbs geared up frame with the years of backcountry experience I would bring to it. First I would need to figure out how my size 13 boots would stay on them boards that was designed for a peewee 165lbs boy.
That’s funny. I’m 6’2” 240lbs without gear, Wear a size 12 Klim boot and my TDoo gets me around just fine. Even with the new narrow chassis I’m sure it will be just fine. Don’t get me wrong, I sure love me a good four banger. I’ve owned them all!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well at least my size 14 boots have a chance of staying on those boards, even if they are only half on the board. Cat boards are complete and utter garbage, Poo and Doo trail sleds have better running boards, may aswell have the ol ZX running boards on a Yamacat, wouldn't be much difference.
Cat has had the worst boards on their sleds for years now, I don't even consider them as a functional part of the sled.
Though after saying that I have replaced boards on Doo product as new as 2019, with broken boards from cheap material used by BRP.
In fact today and yesterday I have been replacing drop brackets on 2 Doo and a tunnel from cheap material, poor construction.
The drop brackets are now billet machine and not porous cast as per BRP. The tunnel is now 6061 and not beer can aluminum.
Cat boards are easily replaced with functional boards in a few hours and you can use them as tow hoist after that to pull your broken buddies out..LOL.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been hinted to since last winter that there is something new from Cat for 23, from an internal source at Cat. So, not that I'm in the know cause I'm not but that is the rumored smolder from the Cat camp.
If this is true then I would think this is going to be the case with Yamaha, their relationship has not changed.
The interesting part is how they will introduce the model without spoiling the intro of the other, if you know what I mean.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing the ship has sailed though on mountain 4 stroke chassis. I was reading another article that the snowmobile sales will steadily climb to 2026. Being that they dropped the ball and canceled orders for this year…. I don’t have high hopes for any great changes and if there is it will be isolated to one line.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hold out and see.
If nothing, build your own, you have the skill and know how to doit.
In any case your custom builds are superior to anything any of the factory will ever offer.
It is impossible to have a sled master all terrain, every sled has weaknesses no matter the model or brand.
The idea in custom builds is you build for YOU and your style, no matter what the asswhipes say, if it fits your style it is the best for you. Minion's will always fallow trends and popular in season models and throw in their theoretical opinions. The difference is you have build history and your know how goes beyond just internet theories with out fallowing trends like you see by most.
Like me anything new from Yamaha or any brand I pickup for my personal ride would get torn apart and refitted for my style, your the same, you won't be happy without your custom style put into it.

Most everyone on S&M believe and think my ride is a SW, about the only thing Yamaha on my sled is the engine, the majority is CR. Yamaha would have to come out with something pretty out there before I would start a new build. Did the same in 2010, yes it started as a Nytro but it took more then a Viper to move from my 2010 custom CR build. JMO

Top Bottom